The Weather

Malankovitch theory of ice ages

When the next ice age comes around, we now know what it will be like . . . Anybody see that video doing the rounds of the ice creeping across the lawn and up to some apartments?

Hi there B: Google-up "Malankovitch theory of ice ages." His studies relate certain astronomical properties of the earth with the comings and goings of the cyclical ice ages. Batter-up. ...regards, Michael

If I was you guys living in or around the whole of the Mississippi valley I would really be concerned about widespread flooding right about now...
If this giant cold front falls apart as suddenly as it appeared, all that snow & ice is going to melt out.
In the Portland OR Metro valley in 96' we had a smaller version, lots of snow & ice, only to melt away within some three days or so. The result was the Willamette river in downtown Portland rising way above the official "flood stage".....my favorite riverside park was completely submerged.
I would make plans right now! For this inevitable aftermath. Head to high-ground BEFORE it all gets messed up.

Just looking ahead for ya' all.

___________________________________________________Rick.............

And some older people die before they can make it to their home's door!
...After getting a cab ride.

Yes there are some bad things happening to our seniors it's true but let's not get caught up in the media created frenzy. Digging deeper often finds you shaking your head even at the CBC for their sensationalism. The latest man of whom you discuss had a heart attack on his front steps. Not that it excuses a hospital from releasing him in the middle of the night and sending him home in a cab. I feel for his family.

But I digress.

Clear and 6ºC at 10:30 pm. Man it's a brutal winter. ;)

I looked at the garden todday and to my surprise the Kale and Collard Greens did not perish completely. Knocked back a bit, but still alive. It will be February before I can harvest any though.

My cold weather herbs are still alive. The Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, Oregano.
My hot peppers are still thriving too!! Although they must reside indoors. Those little red peppers (Bhut Jolokia).....you don't want to eat them straight up, they WILL hurt you.:D Guaranteed to clear the sinuses better than anything the pharmaceutical industry can offer.;) The other pepper is a sweet orange bell pepper. There are couple small green fruits growing there.:) Each of those plants is about 20 months old.:cool::)

It's so cold in North America that the job figures are not pretty.
Heck, who wants to go to work in that freekin' cold!
At least in the US, I think the bit of uncertainty surrounding the ACA might have more to do with it than the cold. :scratch2:

OOoopps, the truth can get you scolded these days.......:shutup:

Attachments

• IMAG0538.jpg
    IMAG0538.jpg
    669.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMAG0539.jpg
    IMAG0539.jpg
    530.9 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I have discovered an excellent way to use those super hot peppers to make the best chilli. When you cook the meat, use 2 lbs ground beef and/or sausage, (use the cheaper meat with the higher fat content), you cook until slightly brown and then let cool for a few min. Then using scissors, cut up 3 to 5 of those fresh ghost peppers into the meat. Finish browning the meat and then drain the fat. Rinse the meat with hot water to rinse off the residual fat and thus most of the capsicum. The high amount of capsicum from those peppers will allow some to bind to the meat and thus remain in the chilli. The result is that the chilli will have almost no front heat, but all back heat. This means it is not hot at all when you first eat it, but the heat gradually grows on you. Any more than 7 chillies will result in 'sweating chilli'.:D

perfect conditions for inadvertently driving sideways.

Saw that on I-80 2 weeks ago when it was between 30 and 33 degrees and slightly raining -- a kid apparently rushing to Penn State, or away from, in his M3 passed us in our lowly Volvo. About 5 miles ahead he was perpendicular to the guard rail.

In the mid 40's here so i got out on the bike for the first time in weeks.

One once overtook me as I was about to leave by an exit and cut across the front of me and went up the slip road too fast.
"see you in the ditch" was what I muttered. The ditch is at the bottom of a 30 foot embankment. When I got there he had ground all the side of his car on the guard rail and was climbing across to get out of the passenger side door.

I have discovered an excellent way to use those super hot peppers ...... .....This means it is not hot at all when you first eat it, but the heat gradually grows on you.

With this strategy you need to put the toilet paper in the fridge my friend :eek:

Ahem. Over here on the left coast the letters actually stand for British California
You'z a lucky man Cal, I may just have to move to the left when I'm done here.

I may just have to move to the left when I'm done here.
Bring your wallet. Even the cheap places, aren't.
I think I want to move to somewhere like the city that "sounds like something" Saskatchewan. You know, the capital. ;) No worries about hills or almost anything for that matter unless you can't go for beer if you run out. But, maybe that's what good neighbours are for.

Moving on...

That day a few years ago was highest 39C, lowest 36C with 96% humidity. I'm glad I wasn't there at that time!

That is a typical summer day in south Florida. The actual temperature in the western suburbs near the everglades is about 10 degrees higher than the published numbers from the beach.

I was up in West Virginia for 2 weeks in December where it was raining and 38F or frozen and 18 to 25F, only 1 inch of snow total for the 2 weeks. That changed right after we left.......Haven't missed a trip into the pool every day since. The coldest day so far it was about 50F in the morning, 75 by afternoon.

6 celcius in Langford at 9:00 AM

for fun - last week's inversion in the mountains:

Ready for spring? Head to the coast or the top of a mountain, says KPLU weather expert Cliff Mass. The reason: “The diabolical ridge is over us right now,” says Mass, who teaches atmospheric sciences at the University of Washington.
We’ve seen this ridge several times before this winter, says Mass, and the result is predictable: low cloudiness, cool temperatures, fog.
“And it just doesn’t change, while if you go just a few thousand feet up, it’s springtime,” he said.
“Go to the top of Tiger Mountain or one of its ridges,” said Mass, “and it’ll be in the 60s today.”
The same is true for the coast, he says.
“Go on the coast, and the temperatures will be in the mid-60s. Go on the Oregon coast, and [you’ll see] upper 60s, maybe even 70s down by Brookings," he said. “So if you want it, it’s there. You just have to go up or go to the coast.”
The ridge is going to be over us for a long time, but there’s going to be a weakening on Saturday and an “unimpressive” front will move through, says Mass.
There will be some cloudiness and just a few sprinkles on the coast Saturday, but clouds will likely melt off by Sunday and temperatures will climb into the 50s in the lowlands.
“Rest of the week, this ridge will reestablishes itself, so there is no hope of any significant rainfall, snowfall — you name it, for about at least a week,” Mass said.