The Weather

Vermont USA -- an enormous portion of the state was under water. Some pix from the NYTimes

Attachments

• Vermont1.jpg
    Vermont1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Vermont2.jpg
    Vermont2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Vermont3.jpg
    Vermont3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Vermont4.jpg
    Vermont4.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Vermont5.jpg
    Vermont5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 62
July Hottest month in over 100K years, scientists say.
https://apnews.com/article/hottest-record-climate-change-july-65e13c9c3d88932b50de935c7977ee70 Warming up fast. So much of the Northern Hemisphere is on fire! Florida oceans top 100 degrees F and the coral reefs are in bad shape. "Experts now say they expect “complete mortality” of the bleached reefs in just a week."https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/us/florida-ocean-heat-coral-bleaching-climate/index.html

I noticed the weather forecasters are on their toes. Computer models aren't cutting it. I went walking yesterday morning (trying to duck the blazing temps) based on my cell phone forecast which said "0% chance of rain next six hours." I didn't make it 45 minutes and I was walking home in a windy, severe storm with lightening and torrential downpours. (I didn't mind the rain because I was so damn hot.) TV weatherman completely missed it too.

So much for 0% chance of rain. We pretty much quit working on my house (we need one good day) because of unreliable weather and relentless, punishing heat and smoke. If I can take two breaths outside without choking then I dare to go for a walk.

Reactions: 1 user
It's here.

The smoke isn't a hoax and neither is the fact that Illinois leads the nation this year in tornadoes. A few weeks ago, if there wasn't a tornado by 4 PM, I would say "the day's not over yet." And we had a period where 9 or 10 days out of 14 had a tornado, with (I think) 3 days in a row.

Now there's fires in Europe, and Siberia has been burning for three years, along with the season long (I hope its only for one season) Canadian wildfires. I shouldn't complain because I'm in a pretty good spot for climate change.

I think we're in a bad place right now.

Thursday nite we had tornadoes in the Cleveland area, power crews still working with downed lines. Nevertheless, the weather aftermath is unbelievable clear skies and temps in the 70's.

On Sunday wife and I drove a few miles to Euclid Creek area -- home of the Euclid Beach Park in a bygone era of my youth -- now a Ohio State Park, the smell of barbecuing pork was redolent in the air, and scores of kids enjoying the beach, the swings and feeding the gulls.

Thursday nite we had tornadoes in the Cleveland area, power crews still working with downed lines. Nevertheless, the weather aftermath is unbelievable clear skies and temps in the 70's.

On Sunday wife and I drove a few miles to Euclid Creek area -- home of the Euclid Beach Park in a bygone era of my youth -- now a Ohio State Park, the smell of barbecuing pork recast was redolent in the air, and scores of kids enjoying the beach, the swings and feeding the gulls.

Although most folks know Seattle is the most overcast city in the U.S. less well known is that Cleveland is number five!

Of course number three is my preference.

Number two is a bit surprising!