The Smallest Tapped Horn

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A few days ago I posted the measured response inside my car. (Which is where I'll use it.)

Here's the measured response outside:

th-vs-tl.jpg

The orange and the red graphs are the tapped horn. I took two measurements, at equal distances, to isolate high frequency peaks.

Note the SPL levels aren't calibrated whatsoever; I just crank up the volume to get plenty of clean signal.

For comparison's sake, the blue lines are my old sub, which is a transmission line that uses dual 12" woofers.

The interesting part is that they're practically identical below 50hz! Hoffman's Iron Law at work :)

The transmission line uses dual woofers, and is built LIKE A TANK. In addition to the serpentine construction, it also has cross braces and it's metal plated!

P1020390.JPG

The pic shows three of my subs. The old transmission line, the new tapped horn, and my bandpass subwoofer from my home theater.

The tapped horn is basically an unqualified success. It's more efficient, uses one woofer instead of two, is easier to build, and weighs less than HALF as much. The TL is 73lbs, the TH is 35lbs. The bandpass clocks in at a svelte 28lbs, thanks to it's sonotube construction ;)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114340&perpage=25&pagenumber=3

Wonders if my JBL 2204Hs would be worth a shot in a TH in the car?

In case you missed it on DIYMA, can the TH for the car play realistic sub-bass levels?

Based on the research that I've done, the smoothest response and widest bandwidth is to be found when you use an array of small high excursion woofers.

The array spreads out the resonances, reducing the peaks and dips inherent in the tapped horn design. It allows us to use a box size that's incredibly small.

Wonder if I could fold one of these in a 20x20x10 space. Probably not....

tripple-tapped7.jpg

Here's some pics showing the relative size.

The smallest box is the "triple-8" tapped horn, which is chronicled on diymobileaudio.com. I posted frequency response measurements five minutes ago. It measures 24" x 24" x 9.5" on the outside.

The box with the twelve is chronicled in this thread, and it measures 24" x 24" x 13.5" on the outside.

The "monkey coffin" is a clone of the autotuba that I was running in my Accord in 2005. It's the exact same volume, except I moved the mouth to couple it with the pass-through in my trunk in the Accord. Moving the mouth extends the pathlength and lowers the F3.

tripple-tapped7.jpg

Here's some pics showing the relative size.

The smallest box is the "triple-8" tapped horn, which is chronicled on diymobileaudio.com. I posted frequency response measurements five minutes ago. It measures 24" x 24" x 9.5" on the outside.

The box with the twelve is chronicled in this thread, and it measures 24" x 24" x 13.5" on the outside.

The "monkey coffin" is a clone of the autotuba that I was running in my Accord in 2005. It's the exact same volume, except I moved the mouth to couple it with the pass-through in my trunk in the Accord. Moving the mouth extends the pathlength and lowers the F3.

threehorns.jpg

I found this pic on my hard drive, which shows the response of the 4.5cf tapped horn with a 12" woofer (dark red), the 3.1cf tapped horn with three eights (purple), and a 4cf horn with a single eight (red).

Measurements are outside; in car expect a big bump below 80hz thanks to cabin gain.

All three are measured at the exact same volume level on the amplifier, but the twelve is drawing the least current, due to it's higher impedance. The twelve has the highest efficiency of all of them, since Hoffman's Iron Law rules the day. The triple8 has the highest power handling and the smallest size of all of them, because it has the highest displacement. Note that the SPL level on this measurement is more accurate than the previous measurement. (IE, the twelve is more efficient than the initial measurements showed. When it comes to efficiency, bigger = better.)

Hey Patrick,

Wanted to ask if you built the dual MCM 55-2421 tapped horn? How does the real response compare to the predicted? Are you using it in your HT?

I am looking to build a TH for HT. I would rather go for multiple distributed THs that are reasonable in size then one gigantic one.

Would there be any advantage to using the T8-740P instead of the MCM? You say it has more excursion, so will it bottom out less quickly?

I see your drawings, but they don't show angles, I guess I have to work them out.

Has anyone else built THs with the MCM or T8?

A while back there was someone in europe that did a small TH with a 6.5" driver, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Hey Patrick,

Wanted to ask if you built the dual MCM 55-2421 tapped horn? How does the real response compare to the predicted? Are you using it in your HT?

I am looking to build a TH for HT. I would rather go for multiple distributed THs that are reasonable in size then one gigantic one.

Would there be any advantage to using the T8-740P instead of the MCM? You say it has more excursion, so will it bottom out less quickly?

I see your drawings, but they don't show angles, I guess I have to work them out.

Has anyone else built THs with the MCM or T8?

If you search the main TH thread, JLH (I think it was JLH) built a dual-W8-740 20Hz TH that was "banned from the house" due to excessive output. slightly complicated build relative to other versions due to the push-pull mounting and a throat chamber, but looked impressive.
I've played around with Hornresp and the W8, and the dual driver versions seem to work significantly better than single driver versions. Conversely, single W6 designs seem to work a bit better than dual W6 designs, although I haven't played with those too much.

A while back there was someone in europe that did a small TH with a 6.5" driver, but I can't seem to find it anywhere.

That was volvotreter. Tapped Horns (scroll down)

Last year I built an "improved" version of this sub, using three of the MCM 55-2421s.

Small Tapped Horn For a Car - DIYMA.com

In a lot of ways I prefer the original sub; while it's bigger, it's also a lot lighter. It's nice to be able to remove the sub easily if I need to haul stuff in my car. With the MCM that's not practical, because the sub is so heavy.

I'm thinking about redesigning it so it will play half an octave lower. Before doing that, I thought I would post some more data on the sub before I tear it apart.

faital-vs-PAudio.jpg

The pic above shows the predicted response of the subwoofer I've documented in this thread. On the left is the response with a P-Audio SN-12MB. On the right is the response using a Faital W12N8. I am using the P-Audio, but I've noticed that Loudspeakersplus doesn't sell it any longer. The Faital looks like a good replacement. I tried modeling it with the new Dayton prosound twelve, but the response didn't look good.

You'll notice that the predicted response is a *little* different than what I posted earlier. This is because the finished subwoofer's dimensions were slighty different than what's in the plans I posted. The difference is only a db or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.