The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
For 15V is either the "Reflektor general idea" link that you should build on veroboard (with higher V1, R6, lower R1) or the SSLV1.1 BIB that has some GB boards available periodically. It has specific pdf building and recommendations manual also.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• Mini & Flexy.pdf
    747.3 KB · Views: 188
Stiff Salas with Negative Output Impedance (adjustable)

Greetings,
Not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this (off-topic?).
If there is a better thread, please kindly advise.

I was recently pondering about creating a regulator with adjustable negative output impedance, so as to compensate for the voltage sag at increased current draw.
Initial fiddling (Spice, Soldered prototype) with basic LM317 and LM337 confirmed that the concept is defendable: An increase of output current resulting in an increase (or at least "no change" when optimized) of output voltage.

Encouraged by this, I came up with this version of a Duo-Salas Regulator.
Or maybe a Stiff Duo-Salas with adjustable Negative Output Impedance.

Does this make any sense to you guys?
A penny for your thoughts.
Cheers,
Ziggy.

Attachments

• Salas Symmetrical Negative Impedance 4.jpg
    Salas Symmetrical Negative Impedance 4.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 416
  • Reg LM317 LM337 Complementary.jpg
    Reg LM317 LM337 Complementary.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
I think that will try to test this following variation. This time there are two sets of capacitors. But first, let's imagine an imaginary "mid-height reference" level, a "mid-ground" of sorts, cutting the schematic horizontally at half height. Any increased current draw spike originating from the load (R_load which is also cut in half by this "imaginary" mid-height reference) could result in:
1). a slightly falling spike of the positive voltage of the upper rail, and
2). a slightly increasing spike (a decrease of negative voltage => increase) of the lower rail, assuming that they are referenced to the imaginary "mid-height" reference.
This rising spike of the lower rail is conveyed by the lower set of (speed-up) capacitors to the base of the upper control transistor. This (imho) causes that this transistor closes up quicker and "harder" than as compared to / under normal conditions, as when its emitter sees only the falling voltage spike of the positive rail.
Vice versa,
The falling spike of the upper rail is conveyed by the upper set of (speed-up) capacitors to the base of the lower control transistor. This also (ihmo) causes that it closes up quicker and "harder" than as compared to / under normal conditions, as when its emitter only sees the rising voltage spike of the negative rail.
In essence, these sets of speed up capacitors should provide a measure of additional negative impedance "boost" under AC conditions.

In terms of DC conditions, The key player is and remains the central potentiometer (R106), the one that defines the output voltage level. Each of the current sources, both above as well as below this potentiometer, sees a slightly lesser value of the set resistance, due to the fact that there are two thieves. Current thieves. The R8 and R108 which are stealing part of the current from the sources, diverting it from R106 via an alternative path to the opposite rail.
Therefore, in the case of a long term variation of voltage at the output (say, voltage sag due to increased current draw by load), the amount of current that is being "stolen" by the thieves (R8, and R108) becomes lesser.
In essence, the current sources are hence "fooled" to believe that someone came and increased the resistance of the R106 potentiometer, effectively increasing the output voltage, i.e. compensating (or even overcompensating) for the hypothetical voltage sag that was experienced at the output in the first place.

Mind you, these are all just preliminary assumptions, that would need some verification in simulation and praxis. Question remains - if indeed, adjustable negative output impedance can be obtained in this way, does the anticipated functionality offset and outweigh the increased count of elements and complexity. Not to mention the other question, a question of stability.
Negative impedance sounds like an oscillations-accident awaiting to happen. For a person which is not equipped with a scope, it would be rather difficult to hand tweak the settings of the upper and lower pots, so as to achieve an optimum point. This would render the concept potentially useless for DIY'ers who are not equipped with a scope.
Comments kindly welcome. These are all early stage speculations, pertaining to a fresh concept, so maybe there is a flaw somewhere, but I do not see it yet.

Attachments

• Salas 6.jpg
    Salas 6.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
9V Tx should allow about 6.5V drop across the reg which is enough. 12V Tx should allow about 10.5V across the reg which is nice from less CCS Mosfet parasitic capacitance point of view but that Mosfet's dissipation will be 60% more i.e. 3.25W vs 5.25W. Its firstly a matter of sinking and ventilation capability in a specific build. Maybe 9V Tx and 540mA CCS is a good compromise.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Salas

I am building a high quality power amp that needs 60VDC in the IPS and VAS and I believe the best way is to use a V12R to reg the rails.

I adapted your original schematic but am not sure I can use these trannies.... Will you please comment ?

Attachments

• V13RC60V.PNG
    V13RC60V.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 312
  • V13RC 60v.asc
    5 KB · Views: 31
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.