The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Moved here from another thread...

The V1.2R regs with cascoded JFET CCS "tail" we discussed JFET equivalents for are positive and negative designs already that use NJFETs only. For MOSFETS and BJTs they use opposites. They are the first two schematics from the "revision" link in post #2 of the "The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator" thread. The thread where this discussion belongs better by the way.

I have it now. Where I went off-track was thinking I needed an opposite for the BF256. But I don't need a p-chan, just flip the n-chan. Exactly as drawn in the schematics. Jeez, when will these people learn to read?

Thank you for your patience!

I'd like to share my current BLB 1.1 builds. They're dedicated for the analog power supply of my future high-end DAC project with PCM56.

The regs are tuned to ~100mA at and are built with the following:
-Boards from TeaBag (many thanks for the group buy).
-Epcos (Siemens) Sikorel 680uF as Vref
-Nichicon Gold tune 8200uF as first filter capacitor
-BYV26C rectifier diodes.
-Siemens MF 10R CCS resistor.
-Elna Cerafine 22uF final filtering capacitor
-Draloric, Philips and Resista MF resistors for the rest of the circuit board
-The CCS and the shunt power transistors are from TeaBag's kit materials.
-The sk117, sk184 and BJTs are bought from a local shop.

Photos:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Best regards,
Alexander.

Attachments

• P1080370.jpg
    P1080370.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 868
  • P1080372.jpg
    P1080372.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 541
  • P1080376.jpg
    P1080376.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 537
  • P1080377.jpg
    P1080377.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 550
Thank you Salas. One of the upgrades for the project will be the LC filtering of the power supply before the regulator. I'm a big admirer of choke input filtering because of their technical and most of all sonic advantages. I haven't wound the chokes yet, so at first the project will be powered with the default capacitor input filtering. My power transformers have a secondary tap on the secondary tap for a higher voltage, which will compensate for the choke input filtering supposed voltage drop.

Of course I do not intent to barbarically split the trace before the capacitor. The solution will be moving the rectifier outside the board, together with the choke.

Regards,
Alexander.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.