The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nothing really.... still same noise/oscillation

- Please note that my regs share a groundplane with their load (tda1541a). The S0 and F0 are directly connected to the gnd plane. I don't think this should create these oscillations, but may be worth mentioning.

- I am using a 220uF nichicon for C201, and a 3.3uF Wima for C204

- C203 and C202 are unused

Can someone please confirm to me that the following applies to the Salas 1.2R circuit diagrams in post 3200 on page 320.

Q8 (2n5457) gate and drain are tied and connected to the collector of Q7 (BC550C) in the positive versions. In the negarive versions the gate and drain of Q8 are still tied, but this time connected to the negative output.

There is no Drain labelled in the negative circuits and I don't want to get the orientation (or my PCB) incorrect.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Can someone please confirm to me that the following applies to the Salas 1.2R circuit diagrams in post 3200 on page 320.

Q8 (2n5457) gate and drain are tied and connected to the collector of Q7 (BC550C) in the positive versions. In the negarive versions the gate and drain of Q8 are still tied, but this time connected to the negative output.

There is no Drain labelled in the negative circuits and I don't want to get the orientation (or my PCB) incorrect.

Q8 Gate & Source are tied to the Q7 collector in the positives. Gate & Source are tied to the (S-) rail in the negatives.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's it! Removing the acrylic at the load solved the problem...

Can you explain what happened here? I would like to understand also what the possibilities and limitations are on local decoupling...

It was neutralizing the Zobel termination, throwing away much phase margin.

Big discussion the local decoupling thing... Not very near where the reg feeds and always use your scope, in short.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My p2p BiB is working steady as a rock... Thank you Salas for the perfectly clear instructions in the pdf and Merlin for the fets.

I am using a Block TX with double secondaries (2 x 15Vac) to produce 14Vout from the BiB.

I am only using one winding and would like to parallel the second winding to lower output imp of the TX.

The TX has four wires coming out in the following order: Black, Red, Yellow, White

Black and Red form one 15Vac winding, Yellow and White form the other.... how should I connect them to get 15Vac out with double current capacity ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.