• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

These particular LED i am using are rated at 10w, and are a very bright white, if i can find the slip from when i bought them i will post a link to the seller on ebay. The blue ones sit at about 10-12v, and the red sit at about 16v. Do a search in ebay for "10w led multichip" and you should find similar chips. Mine are mounted on a heatsink from an old projection television, with a kiss of arctic silver.

Hi,
I'm about to finish building my RLD amp. And I just wonder, should I worry about
RF coming in from the speaker cables? I've seen that some put a low value
capacitor to ground where the feedback loop enter the cathode circuit. To terminate the RF interference.
So should I worry ?

Sheers!

Rolf

I've been playing w/ big LED's again for lighting, and started thinking about their bias use here..

My question.. How do the LED's set a 'constant' anything for our tubes? I can run one of these big LED arrays at between 100ma and 2000ma. ~18 to ~30 volts. There's nothing stable or constant about the LED's themselves and they need a good current regulated supply to stop them from running away.

Just curious.. (and am planning a 6v6 build, so thinking about bias options)

The change in voltage with respect to current (i.e., impedance) of the sorts of LEDs used here is actually not very high. I haven't tested the lighting ones yet, but a typical red LED will have 3-5 ohms of impedance at current between 5 and 25 mA. It's quite a good constant-voltage device, which is why we can get low distortion from an amp that's running in AB.

Hi Sy ,

i am newbie to the tube and i have been looking at this amp for a long time now , and i am think, i could use the output section of your amp , to drive a 100 ohm load, do you think this is possible.

If it could drive a 100 ohms, at say 12 Watts where would i make changes to the circuit, so i could achieve the end goal.

I like the constant current led thing , could i use this application on say a pre amp stage with 8 single cathodes in parallel?

Ok one last ? are these the correct led's for the constant current circuit.

HLMP-K150 - AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - LED, 3MM, RED, 2MCD, 637NM | Farnell element14 UK

HLMP-D150 - AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - LED, 5MM, RED, 3MCD, 637NM | Farnell element14 UK

HLMP-6000-E0011 - AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - LED, SMD, SUBMIN, RED | Farnell element14 UK

HLMP-6000 - AVAGO TECHNOLOGIES - LED, SUBMIN, RED | CPC

cheers

skal

The load impedance is determined by the transformer- see if you can find one with a 100 ohm (or thereabouts) secondary. Some PA transformers might work well for that if they have a 70.7V output. The turns ratio you want is sqrt(8000/100) which is about 9:1.

Just a minor clarification- the LEDs provide constant voltage, not constant current. The screen regulator is adjusted to get the desired idle current. HLMP6000 work great.

Good luck with the build- don't hesitate to ask questions along the way.