The Quintessentially German Loudspeaker of the 70th. Modern Interpretation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I renovated a Dual CL190 for a friend.
The result was not perfect but somehow the sound we got was very big and musical. My friend was certainly very happy.
I am thinking to design something like that. Not a clone but using some of the ideas.
One is a rather big closed cabinet with a 30cm woofer.
Then using a 13cm cone midrange. The Dual has two but that is not necessary.
Modern drivers have a higher dynamic range.
The Dual uses a 34mm and 25mm soft dome.
34mm domes are rare and the ones that are there are expensive.
There is the Audax, the Scan-Seak and two Seas drivers, one with Alnico.
The Audax is the most affordable but again it is not necessary to use it.
The Scan-Speak Discovery i will use is wideband enough so that only a 25mm soft dome can be used.
Here is some information about the DUAL :
Google-Ergebnis für http://www.infinite-power.de/xCL190-08.jpg

Great idea! This concept is unusual on the contemporary loudspeakers market but there are many people that like old Acoustic Research (and similar) speakers from the 70s. With modern 12inchers in closed box excellent results are possible. Are there still Peerless mid drivers with integral box? That would be suitable replacement for mid. My neighbor is constantly complaining about his new Harbeth Compact7 : "if only it is in a closed cabinet". Pity that so few loudspeakers use closed box today.

Hi, the double midrange, maybe not necesary , but aesthetically a winner, imho, over a single unit. Remind me an old Polk speaker model, but this Dual is certainly older. Strange and unusual the back mounting of domes..

They probably did the double mid to bring the efficiency up to the level of the other drivers. As long as the crossover point is low enough, they'll act as one.

...and they are placed horizontally ...
Now we want
1) polar plots
2) in axis, off axis , mounted on a pole, anechoic room, full stuffed room FR
IR , pink, white , brown noise
3) cone modes, tweeter comprised , at 0,1 W -1W-10W and also the decade 0.2 -2 - 20 W
As said by professor Fontecedro, from Palo Alto University, this is completely irrelevant, it only needs to sound nice ;)

It's amazing, isn't it, Joachim. We do all sorts of advanced stuff, then along comes a retro/dated sort of speaker that blows you away with it's sheer musicality! :D

Your Dual CL 190 clearly falls into this category. The "Panzer Tank" of German engineering:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This reminds me of the of our own "Hurricane airplane", the Wharfedale E70:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

A wonderfully lively reflex speaker with a presence and midrange to die for after years of boring bextrene 3-way BBC monitors.

I used to have a pair of Beovox 2702. Ancient approx. 30mm SEAS tweeter and 150mm acoustic suspension woofer:

Great tweeter. Wonderful presence.

There's a good discussion going on in Lynn Olson's "Beyond The Ariel" thread about high Qms making for lively drivers with good resolution, which I know is one of your own ideas. Seems to me that 3-way is the way to go, and lively drivers if you are skilled enough to get it to work. And D'Appolito on the midrange is no bad thing.

Here are the xover frequencies and the steepness of the crossover of the CL190.
Maybe 12dB/Oct is electrical. I think KEF was the only company at that time that new that the xover slope has to be acoustical.

Attachments

• CL190 xover frequencies.jpg
    CL190 xover frequencies.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,003
50 Liters seems to be good. A stuffed cabinet of 50 liters gives a Qt of 0.8, that is a bit high to modern standards but the Dual sounded a bit full in the bass.
It is still less boomy then reflex and stuffing the inside more can reduce the Ot and resonance further.
I used the Lautsprechershop tool. It is easy busyness to calculate a closed box.

Attachments

• dqgl70th bass volume.jpg
    dqgl70th bass volume.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 964
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.