The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

Hi. New Here.
To comment on the residual HUMMM I had my VSPS 300, very light that was perceived to maximum volume.
I followed all the advice that I have given forum and HUMM persisted.
I ralicé all the wiring again turned AndrewT as I said, and that slight HUMMM persisted.
Qye to put the grinding plate another phono DIY, adding 10,000 uF more by rail and Hummm disappeared as if by magic.
All that is perceived to maximum volume is Hisss to bring hearing to the tweeters.
By Needless to say, the sound, the music played by the VSPS is sensational. He is missing this fad that had remained completely silent.

Attachments

• solidphono1.gif
    solidphono1.gif
    9.8 KB · Views: 252
I'm glad you got it worked out to your satisfaction.

So if I understand this, you replaced the VSPS power supply (just transformer and diodes) with a regulated one shown in the schematic. There you had some hum, but adding additional 10,000 uF caps to the output rails made it quiet?

I don't see how doubling the already huge 9,620 uF to 19,620 uF (almost 25,000 uF per rail if you count the capacitance before the pass transistor) would make any difference. I would imagine it is something more to do with where you installed the large 10,000 uF capacitors that they somehow managed to kill some ground loop.

Last edited:
RJM, that I have done is purely empirical, without any scientific basis. Do not forget that I am not in electronic technician; only I encouraged me to assemble circuits designed by someone who knows what he does. I am just a doctor who like good audio within reach and that over 18 years have reinforced my own systems (now I have 55 years and I desestreso the vicissitudes of my profession audio listening and building parts).
I probably made a mistake that led to VSPS to have a slight hum of 50 Hz.
Anyway, I repeat, the VSPS is a very good preamplifier, the best I've heard and built.
Greetings and very grateful for your support.
Dr. Joseph Alpuy.
PS: By the way recommend to test the ability of this preamplifier listening to vinyl Jean Michael Jarre.
Amazing.

..............I don't see how doubling the already huge 9,620 uF to 19,620 uF (almost 25,000 uF per rail if you count the capacitance before the pass transistor) would make any difference. I would imagine it is something more to do with where you installed the large 10,000 uF capacitors that they somehow managed to kill some ground loop.
I agree.
There must be a change in shape, or location, that is giving an attenuation.
Some measurements would help in assessing the size of the change in hum+noise.

I've been using a Phonoclone 3 with a Rega P5 and Sumiko Bluepoint Special Evo III cartridge for some time now. And it is performing very, very well. The "problem" is that my DAC is being outperformed by the Phonocole and Rega.
I've tried a TPA Buffalo IIISE and now a DAC from forum member Sonnya (Miranda-Audio) with AK 4490 and while they are very good DAC's they are not as good as the Phonoclone/Rega. Can anybody point me in the direction of a DAC that equals the quality? Especially dynamics and soundstage is better with Phonoclone/Rega. DAC is to be used with an Auralic Aries.

Hi. New Here.
To comment on the residual HUMMM I had my VSPS 300, very light that was perceived to maximum volume.
I followed all the advice that I have given forum and HUMM persisted.
I ralicé all the wiring again turned AndrewT as I said, and that slight HUMMM persisted.
Qye to put the grinding plate another phono DIY, adding 10,000 uF more by rail and Hummm disappeared as if by magic.
All that is perceived to maximum volume is Hisss to bring hearing to the tweeters.
By Needless to say, the sound, the music played by the VSPS is sensational. He is missing this fad that had remained completely silent.

just a thought.. would a dry joint on a capacitor cause a hum problem? it might be that by changing the caps that the dry joint was fixed which resulted in the hum disappearing... but i'm more than likely barking up the wrong tree again.. lol

I've been using a Phonoclone 3 with a Rega P5 and Sumiko Bluepoint Special Evo III cartridge for some time now. And it is performing very, very well. The "problem" is that my DAC is being outperformed by the Phonocole and Rega.
I've tried a TPA Buffalo IIISE and now a DAC from forum member Sonnya (Miranda-Audio) with AK 4490 and while they are very good DAC's they are not as good as the Phonoclone/Rega. Can anybody point me in the direction of a DAC that equals the quality? Especially dynamics and soundstage is better with Phonoclone/Rega. DAC is to be used with an Auralic Aries.

I know its no real help as its a complete CD spinner but the Consonance Ref 2.2 Linear is a cracking CD player. Mine has been improved/updated to the SE version and would cost about £2400 now.

Its not as good as my LP spinner (LINN LP 12 LVIII Radikal DVXX PC3) but it puts up a fair show.

The Droplet is said to be even better then the ref 2.2 :eek:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

ReferenceCD2.2MKIII

Bibio, I have completely revised the circuit from defective welds to mistake components.
I have not been able to find the cause of small HUMM.
If there is a faulty capacitor I have not found.
But I have empirically solved by replacing the diode bridges other Schottky diodes; adding capacitance to the power supply and making RC filter

Hi all,

A recent new turntable + MM cartridge made me think about DIY phono stages, and I found this thread and the Phonoclone website. I've been plowing through this thread. 200 pages in and a long way still to go!

I'm planning to build a VSPS 300. To keep costs down I want to use some SE5532s and a toroid from my parts bin. The transformer is 120VA with 2x15V secondaries from an old Creek amplifier.

Looking at the Xreg worksheet, for a 21V input (15V * 1.4) it seems that I would need to increase R1 to 768R to keep V_opamps at 15V to avoid frying the OpAmps. With R2/R3 at 30K1 this keeps Vout at 9.1V with good headroom.

Have I understood this correctly?

Thanks,

Duncan

the dual 5532 will run hotter than the 5534.
You can attach a cooler to a dip8, either glued on top, or the blade type that slips under and over.
Both are rated for 44V absolute max, so both should work with upto ±20Vdc and still run cool enough.

But, even considering, this I would still run a dual at slightly lower voltage than a single.

Ben Duncan ran the 5534 @ ±21Vdc in his pre-amp design.

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew. Typo on my part. They are SE5534s.

The reason for trying to bring V_opamp back to 15V is that I read on a datasheet (that I can't find now) that operation at or near V_max would give "degraded performance". 21V is on the limit.

Is my understanding of the X-reg worksheet correct?

Duncan

This is going to be a repeat of what Andrew wrote for the most part:

If you are making your own X-reg with a stereo 5532 and 15 VAC, the package will draw about 10 mA at 36 V, or just under a half a Watt. An 8 pin PDIP is 110 C/W and 5532 is max 70 C, so you will need a heatsink.

Increasing R9,10 VSPS300 (R1 on the X-reg worksheet) to 470 ohms will reduce the voltages seen by the op amp, but wont change the power considerations enough to avoid the heatsink to stay on the safe side.

There is no need to adjust things to keep the X-reg output at 9 V. You can let it float up a little, in proportion to the higher input voltages, as there is no problem powering the VSPS circuit from 12 V (V+) or more.

Last edited: