The Phonoclone and VSPS PCB Help Desk

I've populated my VSPS dual mono boards and now am planning out the rest of the preamp.

Plan is to use this eBay switch powered by a separate 12V supply:
s-l1600.jpg

And then this stepped attenuator for volume.
m69lvtJxtSq69rh5u_ykjLw.jpg

And use the fully differential line stage from amb.org.
alpha24_100_photo.jpg

I have an old wooden record player enclosure to play with and will likely use aluminum sheet as a base for grounding and such.

Question for the help desk:
I'm planning on putting the volume control between the input selector and the line-stage. That follows best practice guidelines, yes?

Last edited:
The volume attenuator can be in any of three locations.
A.) At the input
b.) After the active stage but before any final active stage.
c.) After all active stages.

a. prevents the active stages from being exposed to overload.
c. gives the lowest noise with the wanted signal to be fed to the Receiver.
b. requires some skill in avoiding the pitfalls of a & c.

If one uses a very low gain low noise active stage, or a no gain Buffer stage, then the noise of these active stages can be so low, that option a becomes viable for all partially active vol pots.

Hi, I wonder about modification of the original circuit VSPS.
Adding a resistor 2k2 at the entrance, completely removes the residual humm I had.
Deteriorates in some other aspect of the circuit ?.
The addition of this resistance was in evidence as in other circuits I've seen (it is in the phono pre Rod).
Another point in the photo guide construction, the chassis ground circuit and is welded to zero volts of power supply connector. It can be done well?
Regards.
Google Traductor para empresas:Translator ToolkitTraductor de sitios webGlobal Market Finder
Desactivar traducción instantáneaAcerca de Google TraductorCelularesComunidadPrivacidad y condicionesAyudaEnviar comentarios
Haz clic para introducir una modificación y para ver traducciones alternativas.

Attachments

• DSC_0583.JPG
    DSC_0583.JPG
    767 KB · Views: 280
  • DSC_0584.JPG
    DSC_0584.JPG
    735.5 KB · Views: 286
  • phonoclones.jpg
    phonoclones.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 130

rjm

Joined 2004
Paid Member
@ALPUY

This is "hum", pickup in the signal of the AC line frequency. In a phono stage it is quite common and there are many possible causes, from the power supply of the phono stage itself, the power supply/motor of the turntable, poor grounding layouts, nearby amplifiers, poor shielding of the phono stage or upstream, etc.

what is your mains frequency in Uruguay?

if its 50hz then it might just be a LED lamp or even a switchmode power supply like one in your computer connected to the same ring as your hifi. do you use any form of light to help you see better while you cue up your stylus before playing?

Bobio, the mains frequency is 50 Hz in Uruguay.
As for sources switched there in the same place as the audio system, the TV; the computer; Satellite Receiver.
In the rest of the house it is full of electronic devices with switching power supplies. from cell phone chargers to other tv and more.
Tendíaa to leave only online audio system, set it to maximum volume and go connecting other devices.
I'm going to do and story.
But I wonder how it is done to avoid interference by network because all the houses there today multiplicity of devices that may cause interference.
I have in the PSU phono stage EMI filter, but is seen to be insufficient.
Greetings and after story.

its difficult to get a phono stage completely quiet due to the nature of it, your amplifying a minute signal that is prone to outside interference from every direction right from the cartridge all the way to the output phono leads. if the noise is not detectable at normal listening levels then i would not stress out about it. as for it degrading the sound quality then its subjective, personally i would not worry about it. an EMI filter will only filter the AC mains going in and only to a degree. only thing you can do is try unplugging everything else from the mains till you find the source of the problem and try moving the phono stage to different positions as far away from other electrical items including your amplifier, this is why you will see a lot of phono stages sat on peoples floors.

Bobio, the mains frequency is 50 Hz in Uruguay.
As for sources switched there in the same place as the audio system, the TV; the computer; Satellite Receiver.
In the rest of the house it is full of electronic devices with switching power supplies. from cell phone chargers to other tv and more.
Tendíaa to leave only online audio system, set it to maximum volume and go connecting other devices.
I'm going to do and story.
But I wonder how it is done to avoid interference by network because all the houses there today multiplicity of devices that may cause interference.
I have in the PSU phono stage EMI filter, but is seen to be insufficient.
Greetings and after story.
Close coupled wire pairs for every connection. This reduces LOOP AREA and that attenuates the interference.
That includes the Mains wiring outside and inside the amplifier.
Transformer and rectifier and smoothing caps and PSU triplets and signal input and signal output and auxialiary supply/s Everything needs close coupled pairs for all the wires that connect modules together.

Any single wire that has a varying current through it, will emit interference.
Any single wire that starts life outside the box will bring the interference inside the box. You must attenuate at the box/enclosure wall/hole/termination.

Last edited: