The Pass Pub: The High-End Off Topic Thread

Don't know how many are familiar w/. Roger Waters, Amused To Death? It is 1 of the most mind blowing recordings ever! IIRC it was released in '92 w/. a small "Q Sound" logo on the back bottom. Q Sound is a pro audio company, still in business last I checked, and they came up with a method to do surround sound from 2 speakers, probably somehow cancelling inter-aural crosstalk(?). Anyway, as the story goes there was no de facto standard for surround sound at the time. The problem with Q Sound is that in order for it to work you need to be perfectly equidistant to the speakers. IIRC, nowhere do they tell you this on the CD, so most people, even if they heard this album, have not heard it! There have been more than a few Q Sound albums including a laser disk by Madonna.

Couple of tidbits about Amused To Death, that is also the title track and kind of the theme of the album. Aliens land on Earth, and find that we have wiped ourselves out. They surmise that we Amused ourselves... Also of note, EC plays on 2 tracks, though not sure anyone would recognize him. Lastly the effect works on vinyl, CD and stream.

Happy New Year!
As years go by, the more and more I appreciate all the masterpieces created by Nelson Pass. When I think of that, the original Zen article came out in 1994. Yet, it is T i m e l e s s . Evergreen. So I want to thank Nelson for everything he taught us, it is p r i c e l e s s.
Oh, and Zen Mod too ;)
So, as I have nothing quite smart to say, just
Enjoy life, enjoy music, love each other... and.. Live long and Prosper ;)

Reactions: 1 users
IMG_5559.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have built a bunch of Pass DIY amps and preamps starting with the AMP Camp that introduced me to class A and forever changed me. The ACA was also responsible for introducing my Son and Daughter to real HiFi and understanding the difference between that and cell phones with ear buds.
I was lucky enough to win the VFET lottery; a gift I will cherish forever and will some day pass to my now audiophile Son.
Late 2023 I decided to purchase a Pass Labs power amp followed by a Pass Labs preamp. I have found my audio nirvana.
Due to a significant positive life change I have to give up a couple of my too many hobbies including this one which has given me so much enjoyment and pride.
All that said I want to thank everyone here who have helped guide and support me with this fantastic hobby.
Most importantly thank you Mr. Pass for your never ending generosity.
Cheers,
-Bill

Reactions: 5 users
Inasmuch as the blue LED has become so closely associated with Nelson's designs over the years, diyAudio fans may wish to view this video I ran across today. If you have a half-hour to spare, and would like to see what a difficult feat the creation of the blue LED was (and would like to see what one man's years long dedication and persistence can accomplish, even in the face of corporate resistance) I would highly recommend watching this video. (The ads that interrupt at points are pretty persistent too, but that's the price of free YouTube!). Dr. Nakamura shared a Nobel prize for this accomplishment, but after viewing the video it was pretty apparent to me that the other dudes involved would likely still be unknown without his drive and talent. Just sayin'...