The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

The asrc and dsp setup in the Fusion is exactly the same as implemented in the Grimm LS1 and DLCP. This is a concept designed by Guido Tent and Bruno P.

To be honest, I also think you like the tons of distortion generated by the Soekris dac.....

I know it is used in LS1. I understand it has big benefits from easy of use (no clock feedback required) and from a clocking perspective (clock is independent and a single clock is required for 44.1 and 48 derivates). Still a bit skeptical about the (lack of) audibility. By the way, do you know whether the Kii three also uses this scheme? And do you know whether also the same ADC and DACs are used in LS1 and Kii3? Could not find any info on this online yet...

Fedde

Why would it?

Because of the additional filtering required to remove aliasing. For these kind of conversions, I would think of the analogy of a high frequency raster in a 1920 pixels wide video stream (e.g. odd lines are white while even lines are black). If this is converted to say a 2560 pixels wide monitor either the sharpness of the edges would be reduced or aliasing would be present.

The question would also be whether phase errors would be made in this SRC conversion process, especially for high frequency (10-20k) sine waves with a short duration.

Fedde

The same concept is used in the Kii and to precise the ADC is also running through this sceme ( LS1, DLCP, Fusion and Kii). You are looking for the red herring...

Not at all, I do not want it to sound too fishy... :D

Are you sure the ADC goes through SRC? What frequency is the ADC put on? 96 kHz or do? I thought I read somewhere that the ADC is locked at output frequency of 93.75!?

Fedde

Because of the additional filtering required to remove aliasing. For these kind of conversions, I would think of the analogy of a high frequency raster in a 1920 pixels wide video stream (e.g. odd lines are white while even lines are black). If this is converted to say a 2560 pixels wide monitor either the sharpness of the edges would be reduced or aliasing would be present.

Very bad analogy. Our eyes work very differently from our ears, and the Shannon-Nyquist sampling theorem is not just a theory, but a theorem - something formally proven.

The question would also be whether phase errors would be made in this SRC conversion process, especially for high frequency (10-20k) sine waves with a short duration.

The question would be if any possible phase errors would be audible in any way.

Fedde!
I really don't want to offend you, but think about it. If you accept that you like (no problem with that) the Soekris DAC coloration (which is there, it's proved), then this explains your experiences. Of course you don't need to accept it if you don't want.

As you could read above, I do not exclude this possibility. I am only looking for additional explanations to this phenomenon. The problem is, I actually would like to use the digital input as I like to keep the signal chain as simple as possible. But the sound with SPDIF annoys me while I enjoy sound via the Soekris+analog combo. Perhaps the Soekris has some magical polishing feature, but I do not want to exclude problems with my SPDIF source yet. But I will try better sources later and report back... and if it does not help I will keep my current setup and be happy about it...

Fedde

As you could read above, I do not exclude this possibility. I am only looking for additional explanations to this phenomenon. The problem is, I actually would like to use the digital input as I like to keep the signal chain as simple as possible. But the sound with SPDIF annoys me while I enjoy sound via the Soekris+analog combo. Perhaps the Soekris has some magical polishing feature, but I do not want to exclude problems with my SPDIF source yet. But I will try better sources later and report back... and if it does not help I will keep my current setup and be happy about it...

Fedde

Ok, I understood.

Ahh the never ending audiophile doubts :) . I use the analog connection from my dedicated DAC as well, so the signal path is not the "simplest". But who cares if it sounds good and all the functions works as I want?
What if you simply don't like the audible coloration-less digital connection?

In fact, it is even better for you than the old lineup, because active crossing has much less passive elements in the circuit now (just one resistor based on your writing).

By the way, I also have two parallel 20 uF caps in series with the resistor and Heil AMT (for protection). Which also sweets up things a bit. Woofer and mid are directly to amp.

Fedde

Help with FA502 pls

I have the above plate which is going into a sealed box with a dayton UM18-22 woofer. I will be using in bridged mode @4ohms.

I had a quick look at the HFD software and set up the plate to bridged.
I did not understand anything about setting filters, eq etc.

I will be using the LFE out RCA from my processor to the plate, so the signal will be filtered.
What exactly do i need to do to set filters and how?

Also, is it really necessary to use a fire resistant enclosure to mount this inside a cabinet and if so what materials are used?

I plan on assembling this 2nd week on 2020!
Thanks for your help...

I did not understand anything about setting filters, eq etc.

For low frequency (e.g. below 200 Hz), the easiest way is to measure and auto EQ with REW, check the filters what REW calculated and apply that filters to HFD + your choice of crossover filter to best match to the main speaker's roll-off slopes in the room.
Or just use filters without REW to get a flat response and apply your desired crossover filter. Crossover filter explanations is in the HFD manual.
If the measurements are done at the listening spot, then this is a type of room correction too.

For low frequency (e.g. below 200 Hz), the easiest way is to measure and auto EQ with REW, check the filters what REW calculated and apply that filters to HFD + your choice of crossover filter to best match to the main speaker's roll-off slopes in the room.
Or just use filters without REW to get a flat response and apply your desired crossover filter. Crossover filter explanations is in the HFD manual.
If the measurements are done at the listening spot, then this is a type of room correction too.

Could I not just let my processor eq it?
Not familiar with REW.......I may need to get someone round to help with this.
Thanks

@YDSR: Which equaliser do you choose for autoEQ in REW to be able to transfer these settings to the FusionAmp?

Generic. I used the the ADA PEQ too, I think this is what the Fusionamp uses but I am not sure about that. ADA = Fusionamp's ADAU1450? Anyone?

As for the LFE thing, it looks like this type of connection doesn't need filtered in the sub itself, so the processor can do the filtering.

Last edited: