The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

.... More importantly, in a dipole system, the rear reflections have a similar sound balance as the front sound. This is more close to the reflections of a real instrument in your room.

Loudspeakers should reproduce music, not produce music.
Ambience is (or not) in the recording; loudspeakers should not add or detract.
As soon as you want loudspeakers to behave like instruments you're heading in the wrong direction :mad:

Last edited:
Asked Hypex to ship directly with the Rg resistors removed, in order to keep warranty, but they refused.
Does this mod affect reliability in any way?

@fedde Do your 253's run hotter after the removal?

I did not measure temperatures, but theoretically would expect no change there. Though you need to realize that Max power is reduced significantly, so only do this for sensitive enough speakers...

There the benefit is also the biggest. I measured (very roughly) a decrease of noise from 60 mV to about 15 mV peak peak... (Channel1, no source attached)

So it gets a lot more quiet.

Fedde

Hi,

Another question about bridging: Iwould like to use two FAxx3 plates to drive two two-way speakers plus one single-coil mono sub-woofer.

The idea is to bridge two amp modules from the two different FAxx3 plates in order to drive the single-coil sub.

Is this possible? Are there any issues in doing this ?
Should I better go with three FAxx2’s instead ?

Thanks.

Grounding Hypex Fusion plage amps

Hello, can anyone tell me if grounding is important. I Play with just 2-phase cable and plug without any hum or hiss. But the treble is a bit harsh, and I consider Pangea 14 mk ii power cords. Will grounding have an effect on this also?

Will better digital coax cable?

(Playing only digital in directly from Oppo 105d. Very good scanspeak drivers and very, very satisfactory sound overall).

Thanks for your replies - concrete experience much appreciated.

Best, Morten

Hello, can anyone tell me if grounding is important. I Play with just 2-phase cable and plug without any hum or hiss.

I suggest reading both the Hypex white papers and the amp data sheet.

But the treble is a bit harsh, and I consider Pangea 14 mk ii power cords. Will grounding have an effect on this also?
No. Neither will power cords.

Will better digital coax cable?
No.

In the meantime I made progress with the sound of my Fusion setup. I think it sounds better than my passive setup with NC400 now.

I did the following:
- Removing the gain resistor for all amps.
- Soldering the gain jumper for +9 dB XLR.
- Connecting my Soekris DAC via XLR.
- Adding a 2.2 ohm resistor to AMT to bring it more in line with the 15" woofer.
- Putting the woofer at +15.9 dB gain, tweeter at +14.9 dB.
- Some EQ improvements.

Sound is getting addictive again. For now I prefer analog in, digital in sounds worse here currently. Not sure what the root cause is yet. Could be my digital source (jitter). I hope it is not the SRC or oversampling filtering.

Fedde

In the meantime I made progress with the sound of my Fusion setup. I think it sounds better than my passive setup with NC400 now.

I did the following:
- Removing the gain resistor for all amps.
- Soldering the gain jumper for +9 dB XLR.
- Connecting my Soekris DAC via XLR.
- Adding a 2.2 ohm resistor to AMT to bring it more in line with the 15" woofer.
- Putting the woofer at +15.9 dB gain, tweeter at +14.9 dB.
- Some EQ improvements.

Sound is getting addictive again. For now I prefer analog in, digital in sounds worse here currently. Not sure what the root cause is yet. Could be my digital source (jitter). I hope it is not the SRC or oversampling filtering.

Fedde

As predicted, it looks like you like the coloration of the Soekris DAC, and as soon as it was properly integrated with Fusionamps, the old magic returned. In fact, it is even better for you than the old lineup, because active crossing has much less passive elements in the circuit now (just one resistor based on your writing).

That would explain why you don't like digital input so much (because it has no Soekris DAC coloration).

Great findings and thanks for sharing!

I suspect the jitter of this RME source is relatively high. I would like to try a low jitter USB to SPDIF convertor later in time. E.g. an F1 module or JL sounds PCB set. Though I am also somewhat skeptical on the 44.1 kHz to 93.75 kHz conversion process in Fusion. Does this not affect the openness, clarity and high frequency quality? Using analog in ommits this step.

Other potential root causes of the difference in sound are:
- The oversampling filters in FPGA of Soekris DAC perform a better job to form an analog signal. Which is then going through a reasonblt transparant ADC DAC conversion at same clock frequency.
- The Soekris DAC (combined with ADC) reduces the dynamics a bit, making it easier in the ears.

Anyhow, no conclusion yet. To be continued later in time...

Fedde