The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Back on the delay question.
I had the opportunity to measure the DSP+NCore delays with an oscilloscope + wave generator.

We found an almost 1.2ms delay (1180us at 120Hz), the same as mentioned higher in the thread.

But the delay decreases when you check at higher frequencies : 495us at 1kHz and 352us at 7.5kHz, my 2 higher XO frequencies

Questions to experts:
Is it really possible for the FA to have so much timing difference?
Other similar devices have this phenomenon too?

I am seriously considering to join the Fusion party. I would use the Fusion amp for a custom three way open baffle speaker.

It contains the following units for now:
Pure audio projects 15" woofer, 8 ohm nominal, max 225W, 95 dB/W
Supravox Bicone 8", 8 ohm, max 35w, 93 dB/W
Heil AMT 4 ohm, max 100w, 99 dB/W

I am doubting whether I should take the Fusion 123 or 253. I compared the NC122 and NC252 datasheets. I typically play not too loud. As the units are reasonably efficient, I expect I mostly play under a watt. For the sub 10 W it looks like THDN is better for the NC122. With this amp I could not reach the max power of the woofer. Though the driver probably would be bound by max excursion earlier anyway. What do you think? Anything I would miss by saving some € by using the 123?

Fedde

With either amp you for sure will have more than enough power for mid and tweeter, actually best to use some series resistor because even NC122 or NC100 cleanest power in region of 0.5-15W, not in the 1W where you would mostly be constraint with 99dB sensitive AMT.
As for woofer -open baffle arrangement probably doesnt take too much power to reach Xmax below 50-60Hz but around 100Hz suspension compliance and Mms present significant load to amp.. Same time getting to X max in those frequencies will loud or even VERY loud (depending on your baffle size)

I am seriously considering to join the Fusion party. I would use the Fusion amp for a custom three way open baffle speaker.

It contains the following units for now:
Pure audio projects 15" woofer, 8 ohm nominal, max 225W, 95 dB/W
Supravox Bicone 8", 8 ohm, max 35w, 93 dB/W
Heil AMT 4 ohm, max 100w, 99 dB/W

I am doubting whether I should take the Fusion 123 or 253. I compared the NC122 and NC252 datasheets. I typically play not too loud. As the units are reasonably efficient, I expect I mostly play under a watt. For the sub 10 W it looks like THDN is better for the NC122. With this amp I could not reach the max power of the woofer. Though the driver probably would be bound by max excursion earlier anyway. What do you think? Anything I would miss by saving some € by using the 123?

Fedde
Hi
What are your crossover points?

Hi
What are your crossover points?

I would like to experiment with multiple configurations. I currently use the Supravox with LPF around 2k, the woofer with LPF at 250 Hz and the AMT at 2.3 k HPF. But this is just a starting point. I would like to experiment with multiple two-way and three-way configurations. The 15" should be able to go until 1 kHz or more. For the AMT there are various opinions in audio forums ranging from 800 to 7 kHz crossover... (largest group suggests 1.6-2.3). I would like to try to optimze this for my taste...

Fedde

For OB I'd opt for more watts. I wrestled with the same problem but glad I did the 253 as it allowed for more flexibility with eqing the bass section. I went with the Linkwitz idea on bass. Lower qts and eq.

I have the tweeter section running a compression driver without an inline resistor right now. No problems with noise at the listening position.

I run my Heil AMT with the 503 and no resistor. There is no problem with the AMt.

My buddy who has a pair of electrostats ( new Martin Logan with DSP bas) says it sound really good.

If you try to calculate how much power you will need to reach Xmax at 40 Hz you will be surprised at how little it takes.

The Linkwitz idea for using lower Qts requires more EQ, not less. Are you clear on that?

Regardless, OB usage is the easiest duty there is for a power amp....power-wise. Very little power required in all cases.....relatively speaking.

Dave.

Yes I was not clear. Lower qts = more eq. Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought you'd need some reasonable watts to driver the L26RO4Y woofer to reasonable SPL and Xmax given it is around 86dB?