The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

mattsk8, two things you might want to explore. You only need one spdif output from your pre, you then daisy chain that signal to the second amp. You need to tell each amp if it is a left channel or a right channel amp.

Secondly, get yourself a suitable usb soundcard and do your measurements through HFD. The way this works is a little odd by my way of thinking, but you can quickly get superb results. There doesn't seem to be a way you can verify the final results in a single measurement. You just have to trust the simulation, which works.

I've used FA253 and FA503 amps in many projects and apart from power level don't notice any differences between them. Their technical performance is exemplary. The HFD software will teach you a few new swear words along the way, but it will get the job done in a not so intuitive manner.

I'm actually building these speakers for my sister. My plan was for her to use a Bluesound for the preamp and source, and she can control the volume through the Bluesound app via her phone. I will check into the spdif option because the Bluesound does not have XLR outputs, only RCA or digital, and I do not want to run RCA that far. So... thanks!!

The way I did this design is a bit of a PIA, because I need two computers, one plugged into the Hypex for the DSP, and the other to measure the FR of the drivers. I use a OmniMic for my initial driver measurements. Then I do a rough xover using my other PC plugged into the Hypex, then measure the loudspeaker as a whole. It would be FANTASTIC if I had a microphone that worked with the Hypex software so that I could do everything from one computer, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route, simply because I'm not sure if I will use these amps again. In my opinion, until there are advancements in the software, having the option to purchase the Hypex plate amps without the DSP would be great... just have 3 RCA/XLR inputs for each of the available channels so you can use your own DSP.

I did play around a lot and I have these speakers sounding very respectable. A LOT of my crushed soundstage was related to my xover, I had some phase issues between my midrange and my tweeter. That Satori mid is almost too good in the upper frequencies, even a mild rising response. This makes it tough to cross to a tweeter simply because I was getting some cancelation between the mid and tweeter between roughly 5k and about 12khz. Whenever this happens, in my experience, even if I can get a flat response through that region the soundstage suffers a lot. I played with different roll offs and different xover frequencies, eventually settling in at around 3.2khz for the mid to tweet xover on this one. Doing this made the speakers "come alive" in a huge way, the soundstage is now very 3 dimensional, where before it was crushed.

I do still wish the Hypex DSP had more options for roll-offs. Unless I get very creative there are only 2 options, and even getting creative it isn't easy to manipulate those 2 options much without crushing something in the response somewhere else. It seems like this is largely taking away from the plusses for DSP over passive.

There will be a 9 band pre eq in the next update.

This would be great.

Last edited:
"I do still wish the Hypex DSP had more options for roll-offs."

I think you are missing the concept of biquads. A standard 2nd order LPF/HPF biquad has a roll-off of 12db. If you use 2 it will be 24db. But do take in mind the Q setting of these biquads determine the type of filter: Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz riley.

For example:

A 12db LR is one biquad with a Q = 0.5
A 24db LR are two biquads with a Q = 0.71

"I do still wish the Hypex DSP had more options for roll-offs."

I think you are missing the concept of biquads. A standard 2nd order LPF/HPF biquad has a roll-off of 12db. If you use 2 it will be 24db. But do take in mind the Q setting of these biquads determine the type of filter: Bessel, Butterworth, Linkwitz riley.

For example:

A 12db LR is one biquad with a Q = 0.5
A 24db LR are two biquads with a Q = 0.71

I would say you are definitely correct in my misunderstanding, I think I see it now. I right click on the frequency, select "Add Filter", then (for example) I will select "low pass 2" under function. If I want a steeper roll-off, I will simply repeat that process by adding another one directly over the top of that one?

I would say you are definitely correct in my misunderstanding, I think I see it now. I right click on the frequency, select "Add Filter", then (for example) I will select "low pass 2" under function. If I want a steeper roll-off, I will simply repeat that process by adding another one directly over the top of that one?
Yes, you need to add an another to the existing filter. More about this in HFD manual page 22-29.

Last edited:
mattsk8

Do you still have issues with compression?

When i designed my first filters/crossover I noticed that my 503 had the limiter switched
on. Limiting them to like 100 w pr channel.

After I gave them full power there was no compression anymore.

best regards

uwe

Thanks!! I don't think so, but I will check this setting tonight when I get home. I can't check that here because I cannot access Device Settings unless the amp is plugged in.

Thanks to all of you for your help... I now have 3 different presets stored with different xovers and filters. All are relatively flat, but one is ruler flat. I can see where you can easily get lost in this and completely loose your mind, because the options are endless :eek:. I did figure out the endless slopes that are available thanks to ds23man, and for YSDR pointing out the manual that I've been missing.

Regarding the actual amplifiers... the original crushed soundstage was related to my xover. The amps always had great output, surprisingly great actually. I have the drivers for another build, but I'm still in the air on whether or not to do active... but I can say (as others here have said), if you're willing to invest the time and you are filled with endurance to hang in there through the bugs and learning the actual software... these are decent amps.

Regardless, thanks again to everyone here for putting up with my griping. Much appreciated!! Glad I got these figured out, without you guys I might have been having a amplifier bonfire in my backyard :D. Looking forward listening tomorrow on fresh ears.

A better one:

781129d1568380088-hypex-fusion-plate-amps-_dsc2647-1-jpg

781130d1568380088-hypex-fusion-plate-amps-_dsc2653-1-jpg

Oh my... Are you saying that I in the near futur will be able to buy a module for my FA253 so that I will be able to use MFB on my woofers? :yikes:
This has always been a dream to experiement with!! :eek:

Please do keep us updated on how this progress! Any timeline already?

It is really awesome how they keep upgrading these amps! And thankyou for sharing these things with us!