The New Hypex Fusion Plate amps

Could by partly my fault.

I've forgotten to disconnect speaker cables to the woofer before I run the HFD to reconfigure the HFD filter.
this can't possibly be a requirement, particularly given that it is a plate amp (i.e. it would be completely impractical to have to pull drivers out of the cabinet every single time you want to change the filters). I don't see this in the manual anyway.

this can't possibly be a requirement, particularly given that it is a plate amp (i.e. it would be completely impractical to have to pull drivers out of the cabinet every single time you want to change the filters). I don't see this in the manual anyway.

To be exact, there are binding posts between the woofer and speaker cables from the plate amp. :)

And yeah boy :):):)

First you got your 2 modules with no cables or speakers connected!

Master
1. Plug- in the power connector and switch the module to ON - switch on the physical switch?
2. Power up the module by the control panel or remote - where is the control panel? Using the HFD software to power up the module?

Slave
1. Start the pc program, Hypex filter design. Or close the filter design screen if the program is still running
2. Plug- in the power connector and switch the module to ON - I am very sure this is referring to the physical switch, am I wrong?
3. Plug-in the USB cable (assumed that you've already installed the software as described in chapter “Software installation” )

Last edited:
You can definitely work in HFD with the speakers connected.

I think the general rule of practise is to initially set up the board and a filters, without any speakers connected, once you have a filter in place you can connect speakers and play with the DSP and all settings. This way the board knows if its master or slave, source, input volume and all that. I think if you just plug in speakers and a source it could power through at full volume, or you accidentally bridge the connections when your not supposed to etc.

Careful with the volume on the HFD though its pretty sensitive, I accidentally changed the numbers thinking it would give me more control, but I changed it from -25db to full blast, ouch.

ps: other than the settings in software to auto turn off etc, I don't think its possible to turn off the Hypex plate amps by any other means other than the rocker switch. I don't think there is an on/off on HFD.

Last edited:
If you use the reciever and remote you can also turn the amps on and off with the remote.
You can also control presets, select source, select the presets and offcourse volume.

Maybe consider that in the future, I believe it didn't come with "Mute" feature, which I need most. Or when I move to digital input source which is the best input source, for FA models, in stead of converting digital to analogue (via dac) and back to digital (via hypex) again .

My set up is very simple, one source from pre-amp to left/right sub, therefore, I set 3mins auto shutdown, from your previous advice! Tks again! :)

Last edited:
If switching off the plate Amp via the physical powerswitch causes this kind of bump, able to blowup a sub, then we have a MAJOR problem !

I noticed that heats (or energy) were building up nearby the fan area while configuring the filter, and, somehow, the energy was triggered after I physically shut down the plate amp via the physical switch or rocket switch.

My speculation only.

For now, I set auto shutdown to 3mins. :)

Last edited:
Could by partly my fault.

I've forgotten to disconnect speaker cables to the woofer before I run the HFD to reconfigure the HFD filter.

In fact it is quite different:

When a FusionAmp is connected, it is also possible to enable “Live update”. If enabled, a changed biquad will immediately be sent to the connected FusionAmp, so you can hear real time it’s effect on the audio of the selected channel and preset. A live updated biquad is not saved in memory however.

enabling: select “Live update” (found at the top of the window, under menu-item “Load filter to DSP”); and any biquad that is changed on the screen, is also real time updated in the DSP.

So working on HFD filters can be a live event. With a load on it. A real load if you like.

Good morning/evening!

I need help to match the volume of the plate amp to my power amp. I guess I can get quick answer over here in stead of asking Hypex.

The gain of my power amp is 26dB.

If I set the "Volume on start" from the "Device settings" to -6dB. This number will appear on "volume control" from the "Main screen" and the sub-menu bar of the "filter design screen".

What gain should I enter under "Channel parameters" from the "filter design screen"?

Btw, I've not touch the value on the slider in the "Main screen", is this value different from the dB box next to it?

Thank you!

Last edited:
My experience with the FA's in short:

+

- excellent amps (controlled low end, bit harder in the high mids then what I'm used to)
- good seperation of the signals/channels - left/center/right (probably cause of the low SNR and crosstalk),
- fast upload of the filter settings
- no clicks or cracks while switching between the Presets
- no problems with fast USB dis/connecting
- quiet when turned on and just sometimes a crack by turning them off
- they're getting hot, but still working fine
- many device setting options

-

- HFD is sometimes tricky to use, when I click on parameters it sometimes happen that their don't get fully selected, so I had to mark the value of frequency or gain settings again
- when I select filters in the frequency chart they often move slighty higher/lower so they change their frequency or gain
- I found no possibility to copy a 1 way setting to one channel of a 2 way amp or 2 channels of a 3 way to a 2 way model, would be nice if I want to upgrade my 2 way speaker to a 3 way i dont have to put in all filters again
- changing delay in live mode can cause errors, once a really loud noise came up and I had to shot down the amp to avoid damage (could be a individual case)
- I don't know exactly why, but I have the feeling that the DSP lacks of precision. If I run the same filter settings over my PC/RME for example and use it with an Hypex Amp it sounds much clearer and less then drifting away sometimes. Could this have something to do with the clocking? Does Hypex use Oversampling internally?

I also have the feeling that the hotter the Plateamp gets, the worse it gets

these are just my subjectiv 2 cents. I do not claim that everything corresponds to true facts.

- I don't know exactly why, but I have the feeling that the DSP lacks of precision.
In my setting I have entered and uploaded a filter and checked with my B&K voltmeter what came out on a 4 ohm resistor. Exactly what I had expected (calculated) to be the attenuation at a specific frequency.
I would be at ease to use it even for RIAA eveything being equal that is (cp).

Sorry I don't mean that the curve results are different. I measure the exact same frequency curves by using the HFD compared to other filters I use here, but I also can use them with oversampling and the DACs of my RME seems to be better, so listen to music differs in dynamic and clarity. I hate such descriptions but it is like a thin curtain in front of the music.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm using a RME 802. So nothing extreme special, even if it got better specs:

Hypex

AD
SNR 109 dB
THD+N -100 dB

DA
SNR 111 dB
THD+N -102,5 dB

I use it via AES

RME 802

AD
SNR: 113 dB
THD+N: < -104 dB, < 0,00063 %

DA
SNR 115 dB
THD+N -104

shouldn't be a big difference, so maybe it has something to do with the stuff around like internal signal processing. Oversampling for filters in HFD and the ADC/DACs. Would be interesting to know how the designer works. I read something with an internal sampling rate between 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz?

RME 802 is an excellent interface. Any devices with SNR above 110dB and THD below -100dB are equal in that one area. See the ASR review how many other factors come into play for the overall picture (sound) . As a rule of thumb good DAC will cost 1k for two channels (more is the audiophilia
territory). For that money you can get 12 channels of FA amplification and D/A A/D conversion.