The Mini-A

Not discarding any options or opinions but like I said in an earlier post I'm going to start with the one (?) on the parts list and if I'm happy with the results I may just leave it a that and don't try any other output mosfet.
Wile I waiting for the boards I'm going to have a look at the Aleph 1.7 because without a preamp the power amp is a no go.

Actually my Mini-A sounds even better when I skip B1 and drive it directly from my HiFiduino ES9018. ES9018 has on-chip volume control which I can adjust from my comp sitting on a sofa.
I still need to investigate why that is so. I am pretty sure my B1 implementation is lacking.

Why is the amp a no go ? If you are using the output from a CD or DAC you may not need a preamp just a volume control or the B1 buffer with a volume control.

I listen mostly to vinyl and only then to cd (my players doesn't have volume control) but mostly because I want to have the ability to select inputs (I have 2 turntables (well actually 5) and 2 cd players) and control the volume I listen too.

Actually my Mini-A sounds even better when I skip B1 and drive it directly from my HiFiduino ES9018. ES9018 has on-chip volume control which I can adjust from my comp sitting on a sofa.
I still need to investigate why that is so. I am pretty sure my B1 implementation is lacking.

I have several sources I want to use and don't want to plug cables every time I want to listen to a record or a cd so it's just a convenient thing to have.

Checking the parts list to prepare the components for the build and I have a few missing and 2 questions:
1st Does the C4 (10pf) needs to be mica ?
2nd Can I replace C5 (1nf) with a 1n5 instead ?

PS: Aleph 1.7 up in running with a temporary volume control but still no input selector.

Last edited:
I asked because I have the 10pf in ceramic, in multilayer polyester (polypropylene (?)) but not in mica, same thing for the 1nf cap have so many different value ones but not a single 1nf but plenty of 1n5 ones.
If I put an order in with Farnell I'm screwed because they have a min value order and if I don't hit that mark have to pay handling fees and postage making the 4 caps I need very expensive that I may as well get them of *bay at 9 quid a pop.

Last edited:
This morning was Like Christmas again
Most of the components I ordered arrived (2 to go) but the most important one was an envelope from the US.
I can't thank Mega_amp enough for the 2 boards, thanks man.
Spent part of the day populating the boards and they are almost done but now I can't find the stupid mica insulator for the output mosfets...
Not having a local electronics shop is so frustrating now going two wait to more days for them.
Thanks to Mega_amp again and I will post pics soon

Small question the output mosfets are normally 1/3rd of the height of the heatsink or ...
Only asking because my heatsink is 100mm tall and the boards are 89mm.

Last edited:
Yes it's happening but...
Did some experiments with board location/orientacion and have to relocate the power mosfets my heatsink is 300x100x40mm.
Board is populated but haven't decided if I'm going to use connectors or what type of them or if I solder the wires straight to the board.