• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Midlife Crisis - My 833C Amp Build

Magz, if your ampifier is working now, could you post a video on Youtube that shows it in operation ?

One of them is working, the second one is about 1/2 done and progressing daily. The handmade parts like the teflon mounts for the 833 take a lot of time to get just right, so they fit snugly inside the curved glass cylinder, align with the mounting holes, hold the 833 without any tilt, etc.

Once I get the second one done I'll make a video; should be by the end of the month.

The real PITA is that I broke a pin off one of the the TE Connectivity mains relays I use for the fan failure detection circuit, the one that cuts off the 833 B+. Digikey is backordered until APRIL, Mouser doesn't have any either. I ordered one direct ship from the supplier from Newark Electronics, which is supposed to ship on Feb 18th...hopefully. I'd like to use the same relay in both units, but if that's the only thing holding it up, I may look for a close equivalent.

Other than that, the second one is progressing more quickly than the first.

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
TI stands for Texas Instruments, who developed the material, a sandwich of copper/alloy49/copper. I purchased it from Michael Percy Audio (link, page 14 of catalog), but I notice it now says on their site it's "not currently in production".

Whacky! I had no idea TI was in the materials business. At least not as a vendor for outside customers. Thanks.

~Tom

Magz;
I looked up the Wavac 833 not sure if current prices, but the Mono-block are $100.000
the multiple box version $350.000.
The closest i have come your 833 is PP 805 mono-blocks and that took a few months to make. Bob Sugden, 10 kilo c core output transformers, about $800 a pair, other transformers, chokes, and tubes ex military auctions, still ends up costing a lot.
Your 833 is an amazing effort.
Phil

Thanks, guys.

Now I have to work up the strength to get back down the basement and make some more progress tonight. I just spent two hours shoveling the latest snowfall, with the consistency of wet oatmeal. Just clogged the snowblower right up. I'm beat...

Options...

Awesome project!

I just spent two hours shoveling the latest snowfall, with the consistency of wet oatmeal. Just clogged the snowblower right up. I'm beat...

Since you're under the budget with the amps compared to a Vette, you could always use the extra for a small tractor! Tell the wife the snow is impacting your ability to accomplish her honey-do projects and she should consider just how much more you could accomplish if you had one of these...

;-)

Attachments

• 0004-b_series_04.jpg
    0004-b_series_04.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 1,359
Last edited:
The left monoblock is done and running! See picture.

Sine and square waves and noise level look the same as the right channel. :drink::drink::drink:

My son is visiting from college for the weekend, and he will help me carry these up to the family room (he doesn't know that yet...).

Stay tuned for some listening impressions on my main system, and yes, eventually a Youtube video...

Attachments

• 833 Amp Left Channel.jpg
    833 Amp Left Channel.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 1,157
Well, they're in my listening room, making music! See picture.

The speakers are Infinity RSIIb, circa 1985, completely rebuilt. Old big Infinities have a reputation for being hard to drive; no one in their right mind would attempt to drive them with an SET...especially one with no global or local feedback loops.

Well, actually, this combination sounds GREAT!

I'm trying to be objective after spending about a year on this project and manage my expectation bias, but honestly, I've never heard anything as good as this combination, ever. The highs are crystal clear, the midrange is full and round, and the BASS is the biggest shock - these amps kick the crap out of my 500WPC Class D monoblocks in the bass!

Deep, sledgehammer bass, with definition.

Honestly, these amps sound better than I imagined they would at my most hopeful moments. Worth every minute I spent on them, and every dollar, too.

P.S.: And yes, the reflective front wall is actually by intention - I've found these dipolars sound better with the live end of the room behind them. Because from the Beatles Love album is to die for!

Attachments

• 833 Amp with Speakers.jpg
    833 Amp with Speakers.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 1,038
Reactions: 1 user