The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

Just for fun, please don't take these seriously, I'll post two snippets I send to a friend over Whatsapp last week. Remember, I did not redo my processing yet.
Pretty big chance I clipped the phone mic too, so be careful in playback.
But it will give some idea of the listening spot, well... almost...

They sound great as-is but you can also hear the potential in them - Its like hearing a performance engine ticking over :D

Just for fun, please don't take these seriously, I'll post two snippets I send to a friend over Whatsapp last week. Remember, I did not redo my processing yet.
Pretty big chance I clipped the phone mic too, so be careful in playback.
But it will give some idea of the listening spot, well... almost...

Please use right click and choose 'save link as', play at your own risk :redhot:

You like a little darker sound than me. That's ok.
Thanks for the share. They do sound amazing. And so much potential.

But even with this snippet, I'd say I would miss the openness I get from OB.

To each his/her own. I'm sure if I was sitting on the couch next to you, I'd be amazed. Enjoy getting back to full swing! :)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Wow, the Towers/room sound very nice and resolving.

I need more ( find myself closing my eyes and then.. frustrated!). Please if you have time could you record 'the wall' full length?

And your new place i find very nice looking, already told it but...

Last edited:
I wish I could get across "the feel" when the drums start on "Hey You". Recording it won't capture the experience.
The feel is as important and is where things like phase make it work for me.

Drums were always my 'go to' for first impressions of a speaker. Unfortunately, Its rare to find a speaker that recreates that flinch inducing snap!

Ive got some old Sheffield Lab and an IASCA discs somewhere had some good test tracks. Its funny, considering the sniffy attitude of some, that the car audio guys were so far ahead with the whole test, measurement and setup using EQ/DSP.

Last edited:
I wish I could get across "the feel" when the drums start on "Hey You". Recording it won't capture the experience.
The feel is as important and is where things like phase make it work for me.

That album is bass heavy for sure, but whatever bass is there sounds correct and proportionate, specifically the kick drum but also (and equally important) the tom fills and even the snare. Drums are supposed to be felt and heard together and its that combination of sensory that gives the impression of listening to real drums. A small direct radiating speaker can never accomplish this because it can't move the necessary amount of air.

It is that realism that makes me smile. It sounds and feels like a drum kit (to me).

I've listened to recordings where all the drum sounds were panned dead center and cymbals to left and/or right (Rock songs mostly). That simply sounds (and feels) wrong despite the tonality or impact being right.

Other songs can have the dimensions/positions right, but miss the timing of it/the feel. Sounds a bit muffled if you will.

I like the Floyd tracks because they don't sugar coat everything. Guitars can be sharp and fierce at times, drums sound like drums (to me). All of that adds to the realism I experience. Just my opinion though.

I love it when you're being fooled into a believable scene opening up before you. That a drum kit sounds like a real kit with real size/dimensions. The power of the wave front (the feel part) sure helps to make it believable. When everything works together, even your eyelids...

(Yes, I do close my eyes a lot when listening, probably looks like **** but it gets me where I want to be ;))

Are we talking the original The Wall studio album?

//

1987 Double CD The Wall in my case.
Hey You, DR 14 according to JRiver Analysis.

I have tried a remaster of DSOTM, I didn't like it as much as the original I had.
Sadly, that happens more often with remasters. Not all are an improvement.
However the 2015 remasters of the Led Zeppelin albums (high resolution version) were an improvement for me.
I think I have 4 different versions of those on CD (or more) plus several originals on vinyl. the 2015 remasters felt most like the vinyl versions for me.

Last edited:
I have been away for so long now and there is way too many pages to go back and see how things are.....

On a high level, how is your system working now and did you do big changes since... like 150 pages ago? :D

Let's see... 150 pages, where were we then? :D

I still have some choirs to do after implementing new filters, was that before or after the 150 page mark :).

Did you catch the Vituix sims?

The Unflitered array (as I had been running for 5 years)

attachment.php

Then a lot of time and energy went into Vituix sims to improve those results (mostly due to nc535's insatiable, almost never ending research into all kinds of speaker concepts one could possibly think off :D)

Which led to this picture:

attachment.php

Well, that simming and the planned living room renovation last year led to me, actually dragging the arrays to the garage and having me include a bunch of passive filters:

attachment.php

(Picture above is not including a few passive notches, introduced later)

That's about it, as far as the plans went. It just took me a long long time to get it all done. And I'm not done yet. I faced a couple of broken drivers and I kind of broke too in the mean time, I landed in the hospital with heart troubles. I'm fixed but still recovering, but it does slow down the process of getting everything back into shape.

Attachments

• 25x TC9 FR Unshaded Six-pack-demo.png
    25x TC9 FR Unshaded Six-pack-demo.png
    293 KB · Views: 287
  • 25x TC9 FR Shaded 19.0 as build Six-pack.png
    25x TC9 FR Shaded 19.0 as build Six-pack.png
    299.5 KB · Views: 298
  • all boards picture2.jpg
    all boards picture2.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 262
I think it was about the time of deployment of your subwoofers that I dropped out, I wonder how long this has been ....

At that time I thought about building some dubs, but instead I bought a Trinnov Amethyst and four second hand Audio Physic Rhea II subwoofers, just gotta love it but the subwoofers doesn't have the brute force of those really big guys :eek:

EDIT: I just need to go back 1391 posts, not so bad :p

Last edited:
This is the impulse of my corrected left channel, as I measured it yesterday:

attachment.php

The left channel had caused me some grief, as a few drivers (3) broke and I had to repair it. Due to my health situation, this took way longer than expected.

Sadly, the new clean measurements of the left array showed me the right array is still in need of some service too, despite measuring a good impedance after bringing it back into the living room. It looks like I'll have to redo that one too.

Attachments

• Left-convolution.jpg
    Left-convolution.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 503