The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I'll gladly hop into one of these for my summer drives:

attachment.php

and when it starts raining, I'll need a roof:

attachment.php

Never had much with Ferrari, as the Lamborghini Countach had more effect on me as a kid :worship:. I still like some of the Ferrari models though, like a GTO.
But I've been into Porsche for my whole live, as my dad worked for a dealership.

Attachments

• 65fa04a317b839b44ce862e474ca58ba.jpg
    65fa04a317b839b44ce862e474ca58ba.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 379
  • tumblr_ouqmt1QcYa1s0rjbno1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ouqmt1QcYa1s0rjbno1_1280.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 385
My neighbour came home with a Countach when I was a kid... he was a high end car dealer.
It did make an impression!

I'll never forget the size of the rear tyres, and how low that thing was... even as a young boy, I was way taller than the roof, and getting in was an exercise in itself!

In fact, I see a lot of people measuring up close and designing their crossover that way. Ignoring the fact that the distance to each driver may change once we're at an actual listening distance. If you have the crossover within a quarter wave distance center to center spacing between drivers, you'd still be OK. But more often than not such a distance has not even been used. In cases like that I'd prefer to adjust any timing at the listening position. And good placement in order to deal with any reflections.

I do this too. Some think it is taboo for XOVER work because of the room influence though.

My neighbour came home with a Countach when I was a kid... he was a high end car dealer.
It did make an impression!

I'll never forget the size of the rear tyres, and how low that thing was... even as a young boy, I was way taller than the roof, and getting in was an exercise in itself!

What I liked about them is that they were looking 'fast' even when standing still. Designed in the 70's they were a timeless design for quite a long period.

Later on in life I've grown to be more fond of round curves in designs. :)
I still love the Countach though.

But I also love the Ford GT40, Porsche 917 and even the Ferrari's from that era. I was in love with the 70's Corvette too, with it's sleek round curves. Heck, I like a lot of cars...

Due to the strange world we experience right now I don't have the house to myself all that often. But I still need my audio fix! If it isn't from listening, I turn the Internet upside down to find something to keep me occupied.

In one of those searches I came across this:
attachment.php

An image found on the Twitter page of Goldmund... Do I recognise that woofer? :eek:

https://twitter.com/goldmundaudio/status/1174265453549690881

Attachments

• Goldmund woofer-small.jpg
    Goldmund woofer-small.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 479
Last edited:
That was a thread I had seen before which made me think long and hard :D. Didn't I link to that one earlier?

I'm still entertaining the idea to go that route, but might just settle with the current DAC setup (as I do love what I hear right now) and the Universal Buffer solution for the time being.
You could well have done, I hadn't seen it before and the inside photos were interesting. Never an easy choice to try something else when you are happy where you are :)

Due to the strange world we experience right now I don't have the house to myself all that often. But I still need my audio fix! If it isn't from listening, I turn the Internet upside down to find something to keep me occupied.
I was looking at Mundorf AMT's when I came across the MOTU post ;)

I was actually looking for pictures of the inside of various Goldmund Telos amps...

Like the Telos 1000 Nextgen:
attachment.php

Or the bigger Telos 3300 Nextgen:
attachment.php

And the really bonkers Telos 5500 Nextgen:
attachment.php

... when I came across the woofer picture. Another big brand using a woofer like that... who knew?

Attachments

• Telos 1000 Nextgen-small.jpg
    Telos 1000 Nextgen-small.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 578
  • Telos 3300 Nextgen-small.jpg
    Telos 3300 Nextgen-small.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Telos 5500 Nextgen-small.jpg
    Telos 5500 Nextgen-small.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 456
Anyway, the woofer above is being used (together with 2 passive radiators) in their Logos Highsub:
attachment.php

An active sub with a 300 watt Telos amplifier for a price point around $ 22.000.00 :eek:. Most of that cost being the amplifier no doubt. ;)

My search was aimed to find out the different amplifier models they brought out through the years. And how they were build up. What was inside of them. To see what changed over the years.

I noticed the more current Telos 360 let go of a lot of things/theories the previous generations had in them. It is way simpler, sporting less output mosfets and less toroids in the power supply. It's also less powerful.
Even the Telos 350 model before it had lesser overall power numbers in their spec than the 400 that came before that one. Today you've got to move up to the Telos 1000 to find common ground (similarities) with the prior lower power, earlier 'budget' models like the 350, 400 etc. Is this about saving costs?
Nowadays the 360 does seem to be a true budget model, as well as the integrated 590. Still costing a bundle but one seems to get way less than before. The newer siblings having more in common with the Mimesis line than the original Telos line. Except those powerhouses (2500, 3300, 5500) that exhibit true astronomical figures, both in power as well as price.

Jobs has stopped production completely. So no more true budget Goldmund 'like' offerings.

Attachments

• Logos Highsub-small.jpg
    Logos Highsub-small.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi everybody,
It's been a while as i didn't had time for interesting things and as i've read you had fun meanwhile.

About converters here is an other possible way to follow: the use of a multiple optical out soundcard and the use of 'cheap' new converters.

I recently acquired an S.M.S.L. Sanskrit 10th dac for my 'simple' analog chain.
I know this doens't make sense to have a dac in an analog chain but my main digital listening chain is a bit intimidating for my family to use ( pc with RME aes 32 to Dolby Lake to analog attenuators to amps) and as i am in a vinyl and Coaxial mood for almost a year now it was easier to include a Da to a 'simple' chain ( my girl still is intimidated by my 'simple' small analog boadcast mixer however, not my 4yold boy which regularly solve issues for her! I'm proud of him :) ).
I use it for CD/DVD player/radio and TV thanks to multiple digital input.

Well i have to admit i'm impressed by this new generation of Dac. They are not up to high end end Dac from 15years ago ( Dolby's dac) but they are close enough for critical listening imho.
The thing is they include a build in attenuator and can be remote controlled easily*.
Once paired with an RME digiface usb you'll have a very impressive multi out dac without issues with groundloops ( if you can tolerate max 192khz fs).
Overall you could make a 6out system below 600e including volume control. Worth a look at this imo especially if you want to stick with a buffer with gain. Only drawback they are unbalanced ( rca out 2vrms max).

* each Sanskrit have a remote which need to be paired so i suppose it could be doable to use only one remote to drive multiple units at the same time.

Otherwise i have to agree with your quest for headroom Ronald. It can only brings good to your system. Mark won't disagree, i'm sure. :D

Last edited:
Hi krivium,

I just had to look it up right away, seems it needs an external power supply to perform decent.
Review and Measurements of SMSL Sanskrit 10th DAC | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I'm pretty happy though, with my DAC, so i'm only looking at the buffer at the moment. Maybe down the road I'll try one of those Pro-DAC's.

The buffer creating headroom works. That's been tested with a real positive result with the affordable JDS Atom as a pré-amp. I'm waiting for the world to settle down again to be able to order Universal Buffers to do that job. Tom will most probably come out with his own power supply for it, which I plan to use.

I remember we had a conversation we had about digital attenuation. I'll wait and see if I need to go that route in the future. I won't need it for 90% of the use of my system, so it isn't high on my agenda.

As we are home as a family more often than not (I still go to work, the rest is in lock down, waiting for better times) I don't get to play or experiment as I do want the room to myself for that kind of thing.
We do enjoy a movie regularly, that has never been a better experience than right now with the 55" OLED and the current temporary pré-amp and subwoofer addition. My son has a list of things he wants to see again, purely for the anticipated sound experience. :)

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes it needs an external powersupply, but this is the case for most ( if not all) those new gen DAC imho.
It is illusionary to think usb power rails are up to the task for audio ( even if they use dc/dc converters and -good- regulators onboards). Even more if going multiple out.

Ot:I've experienced that with pc power supply too: investing in a good stable and clean psu (Seasonic semi passive 600w) does indeed change the way soundcards sound... well at least with the last dedicated to audio pc i assembled using multiple (4x) Aardvark Q10 cards for multitrack recording -32 in/out with integrated mic preamps in 8u rack. Very convenient and cheap as this is 'old' gear no one wants anymore as it run under XP... but Aardvark being the same guys as the one behind Antelope audio... it is worth it imo ;).

That said i've tested two different psu with the Sanskrit one being a vulgar cellular phone 5v charger and another more refined tps7a4700 ldovr and in fine i couldn't find a difference between them so the ldovr went back to it's original place ( as a bias supply in a tube microphone circuit of mine).

This led me to think a small inexpensive 5v smps ( from Meanwell for example) could be used to power multiple units. The case to house it and connectors for multiple usb out could cost more than the psu in itself! And the 600e i spoke about included this.

I don't want to push you to consume but really you should try one of this last gen da to hear the difference as ime they are not subtle and made me think about reselling the Lake at first!
Didn't someone told you he could send you a Topping unit to test? Worth it!

Yes buffers are good. We used them regularly in studios i've worked in. They just make ( long) cable drive concerns disapear, and usually solve weakness of opamp (slew rate and low current out). Should be used more often in audiophile world imo!

In my main digital system i use an hybrid approach about attenuation: i've got some analog constant z input attenuator in front of each amps with three preset attenuation ( which are late night listening level, recreational listening level and k-14 calibrated listening level for work duties) tailored to each amp. I see them as 'coarse' level selection and i fine tune level in digital through the Lake digital input attenuator ( in the 12db max range of attenuation).

Not the most convenient in daily use but works like a charm: no objectionable Johnson noise from the analog attenuators, no differences from the digital attenuator either as the range of attenuation is limited too.

I explained my strategy about it some 10 years ago in a thread maybe this was this discussion we had( or it could have been in private i can't remember) but all this was linked to intersample distortion ( which is imo responsible in most difference of sound between converters )and the issues related to proworld level drivin' amplifiers. Will try to find the thread and link it to those interested.