The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

I'm using pizza screens with Fane 15" drivers. Around $5cad at a local restaurant supply store.

Using rare earth magnets to hold the screens in place. Glue them to the pizza screens and they hold against the steel frame.

I knew I wouldn't be the first! :)

I went with the RF grill, as the beauty commission's voice counts stronger than my own. The Pizza screen could have worked for me, with blacked out grill, polished rim to stay "in theme" with the arrays. But it is a bit more "bold look" than these car audio metal screens. If you know what I mean.

The idea behind the pizza screen was to add a snuff of this:

attachment.php

But a bit more laid back with polished aluminium ring (with blacked out grill) and satin gloss black enclosure.
But the intention of my girl is to not attract attention to the subs and I've got to respect that.

Attachments

• m1_speaker_daniel_hertz_0.jpg
    m1_speaker_daniel_hertz_0.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 319
Well, the Daniel Hertz M1 speaker is made at the Petrof piano factory in Hradec Králové, Czech Republic. I think the finish is at the same level as their grand pianos... the cabinets construction also is said to be at the same quality level as their best grand pianos... did you have that principle to apply that same level of gloss too, or perhaps better it :p

Last edited:
I'm sure I said it somewhere before, high gloss has never been my intention. I just like the black offset by high gloss metal. :) Just look at my arrays and the make-over I did on the amplifier. The Pizza screen would give me that look for the subwoofers. Just a touch of that M1 is what I'd settle for. I could make it look stylish. But it would shout: look at me!

High gloss needs perfect shapes to shine (pun intended)

Last edited:
The pizza screens are a no go. As said, it would make the subs attract attention, that's not what my girl wants/envisions. Even though I really love that combination. Black and polished aluminium. I guess I have a thing for that. My Harley that I had build myself was black with polished RVS and chrome. I'm sitting on a black leather office chair with chrome. Not too much shiny objects, just enough to offset a deep black. In one word: contrast. I've always had a soft spot for that. Which is why I like the M1, even though that crazy good finish can't save that speaker. The finish is what you pay for, acoustically that speaker could have been done better, just my opinion.

The subwoofers will remain black with that Rockford Fosgate protection screen in front of the surround, thus protecting it from our predator ;).

Last edited:
The pizza screens are a no go. As said, it would make the subs attract attention, that's not what my girl wants/envisions. Even though I really love that combination. Black and polished aluminium. I guess I have a thing for that. My Harley that I had build myself was black with polished RVS and chrome. I'm sitting on a black leather office chair with chrome. Not too much shiny objects, just enough to offset a deep black. In one word: contrast. I've always had a soft spot for that. Which is why I like the M1, even though that crazy good finish can't save that speaker. The finish is what you pay for, acoustically that speaker could have been done better, just my opinion.

The subwoofers will remain black with that Rockford Fosgate protection screen in front of the surround, thus protecting it from our predator ;).

Yes, getting the right contrast is gold .... I recently changed speakers and it changed the vision of the whole room, amazing what difference that can make....

well the M1 is a $100.000 speaker ... which seem quite steep :confused:
And for many people the box is so big that placed in a room, you will not be able to see blue sky outside....

Last edited: