The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

That finish looks great as is. Reminds me of rough hewn black granite. If you are using black epoxy, I assume the pigment was carbon black and that should block uv. Maybe you don't need to paint? Great work - looks very cool. The foam in between the segments gives you axial constrained layer damping. May reduce harmonic distortion and cabinet induced resonances in any case.

I couldn't get a straight answer on that one. The pigment will help with UV proving the epoxy but I think it is saver to coat anyway.
Second enclosure is wrapped/laminated with cloth and drying.

Yeah, looking fantastic. :D I like the textured finish. Piano black is for pianos... ;)

Between the expansion joints and interior and exterior coatings, I think your humidity/expansion issues are solved.

I think piano gloss would be a bit too much for this size speakers with all its curves. I wanted the Duratex finish but read Duratex doesn't like epoxy. So I had to find another way to get what I wanted.
I'll decide on the aluminium sometime in the future. Maybe black or maybe clear anodising. First I want sound :D.

I do hope you are right about the humidity thing... time will tell! This is the best solution/guess I could come up with.
Opposing all the votes about removing the rods I did go against the stream here ;). Hope it was the right choice.
If I had stuck to my original plan last year I would have done the epoxy and cloth without the cuts. So maybe it wasn't that
bad to see what could happen to the bare (aside from PU clear) stacks.

Last edited:
I am not sure why actually? Espescially in Norway, there are a lot of Diy people. With instant knowledge and pictures because of internet there seems to be a lot more people trying to build something themselves, because it is easier to get support from all the others.
And some are beggining to see what you can get if you put some effort in it, compared to what you get if you buy it in a store. Just look at your build. What would the cost be, if it was a well known brand? A brand (Adyton imagic 2.0) here in Norway with almost the same drivers you use, cost about 35000$. They sound really nice, but cant match your looks ;)
Btw: Is there any reason why you guys use 25 drivers, and not feks 24?

I am not sure why actually? Espescially in Norway, there are a lot of Diy people. With instant knowledge and pictures because of internet there seems to be a lot more people trying to build something themselves, because it is easier to get support from all the others.
And some are beggining to see what you can get if you put some effort in it, compared to what you get if you buy it in a store. Just look at your build. What would the cost be, if it was a well known brand? A brand (Adyton imagic 2.0) here in Norway with almost the same drivers you use, cost about 35000$. They sound really nice, but cant match your looks ;)
Btw: Is there any reason why you guys use 25 drivers, and not feks 24?

5x5 configuration I presume....

you sir...

Are a very talented and determined individual and that is going to be an amazing set of towers when you are done. Being an old woodworker and now a Machinist I applaud your work with both mediums. I love how tall they are for some reason. They just say to me NO COMPROMISES SOUND.... Well done. Peace

Pete

Wesayso - finally got to look closely on your images (been away for the weekend and phone don't give the TT´s justice ;)
I did wonder what Duratex was like and sceptical based on the small images on the phone but the result really look nice now when viewed large!

The last update span quite an amount of work and you should be really satisfied with it :D
One major step closer to sound :D :D

Lord of the Waves, the Two Towers

two-towers.jpg

Slowly getting there... both enclosures up, a bit more to do on them here and there. I still need to paint them, hopefully somewhere this weekend.
One enclosure is epoxied on the inside, the other I will do tomorrow. Today I'll cover the top and baffle inlay to be ready for paint.

Thanks for the encouragements guys, much appreciated!

The darker they get, the more difficult to photograph....

Last edited:
Superb!
You have never been this close to cover up all them holes.... ;)

The darker they get, the more difficult to photograph....
Set exposure based on the ambient light and not the black sides.
Black objects => It all about lighting it. See how the ceiling light reflect off the top of the arrays, imagine a light hung vertically reflecting equally the full height of the array? But do not spend much time on this for now... :p

Last edited:
Plans have changed a bit... The paint I have yet to receive is the wrong kind, a high gloss version, not the semi gloss I ordered. The good thing is the shop keeper noticed it and let me know, even before it arrived. The bad thing is the right kind of paint is on back order.
I also ran out of white pigment. I had ordered (different shop) 100 grams and got 50 grams send to me by mistake. Tomorrow I will have a new bottle.

But during this chaos I had to much time to think. The second enclosure had a much nicer texture than the first. With painting on Saturday on my mind I had set my mind at ease that the first one was good enough. But now knowing the paint won't be here in time....
So I sanded down the first enclosure and re-did the finish. Tomorrow I'll know if it turns out as nice as I have tried to make it....