The making of: The Two Towers (a 25 driver Full Range line array)

A laser engraver would make short work of that logo. Of course, you'd have to have the panel engraved before it was attached to the cabinet. The logo would look nice in gold or silver as a contrast to a black cabinet. If you didn't want it recessed you could have the laser engraver cut out the recess then cut the logo in an insert material so it still contrasts but is flush with the cabinet surface.

Thanks for the ideas (and the offer) guys, appreciated!

@CraigSu has hit the jackpot. Last night when I was scouting for options of materials to use I came across a laser-cutter firm. They supply 3mm Baltic Birch so I intend to have a couple of sheets cut to size. The price is reasonable and it fits the idea I wanted. No different colours (my girl already hates the idea of having subs added, the more I let them blend in, the better it is).

When I drew something up I admitted being inspired by the Magico Q-sub:

attachment.php

So this is the look I'm going for. In my design it looks like this:

attachment.php

Subtle but present. Nothing wild ;).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 368
  • SubassemblyLogo.jpg
    SubassemblyLogo.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 361
3mm will make for a nice, subtle inlay. If you're going to leave it recessed like the rendering you might want to treat the cut edges with some CA glue and then lightly sand to remove any fuzzies the laser might leave behind. It's also possible the laser will burn those edges and, in effect, cauterize the existing glue between the layers anyway. 3mm birch ply is probably only 3 layers. With the "keeping it subtle" theme you could also use flat/satin black for the cabinet and a high gloss black for the insert (or vice versa). Regardless of your choice, It's going to look sharp!

Edit: Looking at the rendering again I see only the front vertical edges are rounded over. Have you considered rounding over all of the edges to prevent someone's leg from getting punctured by a sharp corner? It would definitely soften the look of the cabinet, which you may or may not like.

Last edited:
Indeed, the whole sub enclosure will get a similar treatment as the arrays.
They will be covered in epoxy + filler, brushed on with a roller to get the same skin type as I have on my arrays, painted afterwards with semi gloss boat paint.

I tried the rounded corners everywhere look, call me stubborn but I did not like that look at all.
The sharpest corners will be sanded and get covered in epoxy and not be as sharply defined anymore. I basically liked the look of the rounded verticals to make them more in-line with the general array shape.

LineArray.jpg

There will probably be cushions on top, like in this picture. I placed those benches there to reserve space for these subs, long ago. I figured I might get the "OK" a bit sooner if the look didn't change much :D. Sneaky, but it worked ;). The big table/chest was my backup plan (lol). The benches were higher up on my wish list, as being close to the arrays makes them more versatile for a broader FR range.

Last edited:
I completely understand. I recently obtained 2 additional speaker pairs, a center channel monitor, and a powered cube subwoofer. When my wife learned about the subwoofer she was immediately reminded of the one I built many years ago that housed 2 Sansui 15” woofers. It was about the size of your coffee table/chest but at least twice as tall. I reassured her that the new one was roughly an 18” cube (M&K Volkswoofer 3) and it would be out of site in the corner of our room behind the recliner. That being said, many years ago she did insist that all of my speaker designs resemble furniture or sculpture. No plain, ugly boxes in our house. I don’t mind though as it presents a nice design challenge.

The quality of the edges surpasses my expectations! This is a very thin line cut, razor sharp!

attachment.php

Previous picture had the cut parts still in place with a bit of tape.
So glad I tried this, saves me a bundle of time and I wouldn't have got this far with my humble home tools anyway.
Here's hoping I don't screw up the rest! ;)

Attachments

• snijwerk2-1.jpg
    snijwerk2-1.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Another bonus of using the laser is the cutout pieces can also be used as a logo. You could take the subwoofer cutouts, paint them, and use them on another project. Two uses instead of one (assuming the folks who cut them for you saved the cutouts).

What's your inspector's name and breed? Looks like some Maine Coon may be in the DNA.