The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

One more SP-10 project.
Finally managed to find one in a mint condition.
Added a heavy concrete base and now it sings. I think that it smoked my heavily modified VPI Aries easily.
In fact I could not stop listening to music last night.
A big thanks to this thread, as it has been really helpful.
SP10 MkII, SME IV, Audio Technics ART9. I have exactly the same set-up. It rocks! I could live with this set-up forever except that I could not resist the call of the SP10R.

One more SP-10 project.
Finally managed to find one in a mint condition.
Added a heavy concrete base and now it sings. I think that it smoked my heavily modified VPI Aries easily.
In fact I could not stop listening to music last night.
A big thanks to this thread, as it has been really helpful.

What a beautiful Turntable. I am a SP10-MK2 user too and I love the concrete plinth.

If a simpler, less complex set of controls , can be made with a far lower parts count of easily obtainable components and far lower chance of failure/unreliability were available it will be no surprise that most SP10 users would jump at that option

True, but "If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches".

A replacement would have to do much the same thing to get the same performance, so it would not be less less complex.

To use a lower part count, would require using probably a micro controller or programmable logic to duplicate the logic boad. And in 10 years time that controller is unlikely to be as easy to obtain as 40 year old TTL that is used. And of course as well as replacing the controller, you would also need a copy of the code its running and the tools to program the device.

There is no real reason for the modern version to have a lower likelihood of failure, The existing circuit is a known and time proven thing, a replacement would not be for 20 years or so. Unless something drastic happens, the only thing that the existing one needs to keep it going is maybe replacing the caps every 20 years or so. Most failures are due to manual intervention (mistake somewhere) not in operation from what I have seen.

IMHO, if at some time in the future the existing circuit becomes
unmaintainable or unreliable due to age, then will be the time to create a replacement.

Panzerholz is nice, but you can not get it in Greece.
Initially I found one with the obsidian plinth, but the plinth was damaged during shipping.
As I did not have enough time to cast one from resin or betonite, ( I wanted something heavier than wood) I bought a ready made one from Germany, really nice I can say.
I am also waiting for a heavy metal mat to arrive.

Panzerholz is nice, but you can not get it in Greece.
Initially I found one with the obsidian plinth, but the plinth was damaged during shipping.
As I did not have enough time to cast one from resin or betonite, ( I wanted something heavier than wood) I bought a ready made one from Germany, really nice I can say.
I am also waiting for a heavy metal mat to arrive.
Ah, that's unfortunate

Did you buy a tenuto? I use one and I wouldn't be without it.

True, but "If wishes were fishes we'd all swim in riches".

A replacement would have to do much the same thing to get the same performance, so it would not be less less complex.

To use a lower part count, would require using probably a micro controller or programmable logic to duplicate the logic boad. And in 10 years time that controller is unlikely to be as easy to obtain as 40 year old TTL that is used. And of course as well as replacing the controller, you would also need a copy of the code its running and the tools to program the device.

There is no real reason for the modern version to have a lower likelihood of failure, The existing circuit is a known and time proven thing, a replacement would not be for 20 years or so. Unless something drastic happens, the only thing that the existing one needs to keep it going is maybe replacing the caps every 20 years or so. Most failures are due to manual intervention (mistake somewhere) not in operation from what I have seen.

IMHO, if at some time in the future the existing circuit becomes

unmaintainable or unreliable due to age, then will be the time to create a replacement.
Amen

I love the SP10, best TT I have owned. I wish I hadn't had a bias against DD turntables or I would have bought the SP10 sooner and not the dreadful Rega RP8.

I made a resin bentonite plinth. 1% hardener was too much and the first pour warped badly about 10mm, so I had to put in the mill and machine the top flat. A fan placed blowing on the mold fixed the issue and reduced shrinkage of the resin significantly.

This is being setup for a bridged linear tonearm which will be mounted each side of the TT.

Attachments

• P_20200114_120258.jpg
    P_20200114_120258.jpg
    953.2 KB · Views: 237
  • P_20200115_140547.jpg
    P_20200115_140547.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 229
Also I am thinking to change sometime the thrust pad with a torlon one.
Unfortunately user510 has not any left. Do anybody knows another source?

user510 long ago pointed out to me another reliable seller who also sells torlon bearings on ebay.
Chris Harban of WoodSong Audio.
chris@woodsongaudio.com

In addition, there is also seller english on eBay who sells pads at a lower price but it is not clear what material is made of.

Last edited: