The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

I'm overly excited on how this TT project has turned out! I've only had about 1 1/2 hours of playing time in and I'm still running the $99 Ortofon Red but still sounds better than I hoped!

Fit, finish, ease of use, color, shape, overall presentation is perfect for me. Updating the cart is going to be the icing on the cake.

This has been a 5 month project. But for a first TT build I'm happy with what I've accomplished. New single chassis for ALL electronics including start/stop and speed control, full capacitor replacement, 100% Panzerholz plinth without the stock chassis, full service of the bearing including new thrust pad, fitted and including SME 312S arm, inclusion of 10 lb cast iron bearing drain with threaded brass adjustable bearing to drain pathway, and high gloss custom paint.

92598caa62c9c551bff8c55887f61f33.jpg

f2dcd14a4c977fd8244c3e58e3d4f6c2.jpg

Having the start/stop button below is convenient and it takes just a little finger pressure on the edge of the platter to stop the platter for album changes, since I removed the brake.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's support and comments and looking forward to seeing everyone's build progress.

Now back to finishing the chassis dress up on my F5 turbo monoblocks!

What are the speakers?
I built those a couple years ago. They are a Troels Gravesen design called Ekta-Grande. I posted my build here on DIYAudio.

They are 2nd on the Project to do list. Going to upgrade the internal wiring, set up for bi-wiring, bi-amping, modify the faceting a little on the front baffle, some interior cabinet mods and dampening, and build a new base to maintain a 5% tilt with equal length spiked feet. And of course, repaint. Still piano black.

outstanding results

f2dcd14a4c977fd8244c3e58e3d4f6c2.jpg

I really like how this one appears. The metallic finish is an excellent choice....and in color and sheen is kind of reminiscent of the original aluminum chassis.

Visually, the tonearm is a match.... And should be the sonic equal to the task at hand. (I do like those 12 inch sme arms)

Imagine how good it becomes with a top flight cartridge. (deserves it)

I really like the way the start/stop button is on the face plate of the controller.

Everything about this project looks professional.

-Steve

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Coasttocoast - Absolutely, mind blowingly, incredibly fantastic!! Makes me want to drop the idea of a standard plinth for my 2nd deck and do this. I can't express how cool your project is. :)

Dave - Oooooooh!

Dying to know if it's as much better than the Mk2 as it's price premium.

SP-10 MKIII

Dying to know if it's as much better than the Mk2 as it's price premium.

I wonder too ? It's going to take a while to get into the lab. I have loads of work and a week long conference in Washington DC. ;)

I'm not convinced it is any better that a perfect MKII ? :rolleyes:

However I bought it in for a customer. It's 100V and I'm having an original spec 110/240V transformer made. But it shines, it's polished from new, and sooooooooooo tempting to keep ! :)

Dave

Last edited:
Pass Labs : Thier own SP-10

It's going to be a month before I can measure the MKIII, as the Washington Conference takes priority and I'm being paid to perform by a UK company. :D

However I received this the other day : :confused:

" Pass Labs.
They have, over the years, developed a version of the Technics which uses their
own platter, power supply and plinth. It outperforms the MK3 by a substantial
margin as well as bettering a number of top contemporary tables - expensive ones."

This is odd as they recently bought one of my PSU's. Jim as you know them, could you ask ? ;)

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I already know what the Pass table is -

Mk2, 50lb Panerholz plinth resting on Stillpoints, with Wayne's PSU. Arm to taste... the one that goes to the shows is a Micro Seiki 505.

The only substantive difference between that PSU and yours is more CRC before the regs.

L10108751.jpg

But that's no different to any other SP-10 ?? :eek:

Apparently they replace the platter ? :confused:

" Pass Labs.
They have, over the years, developed a version of the Technics which uses their own platter, power supply and plinth. It outperforms the MK3 by a substantial margin as well as bettering a number of top contemporary tables - expensive ones."

Just putting it into a smart ar*se plinth and a better PSU isn't going to "outperforms the MK3 by a substantial margin "

Jim, do you think you could cut and past my original text and ask Wayne please ? :)

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jim.

:D :D :D

Yes, of course... I totally forgot about the platter (one of those things that's so expensive and difficult to procure it's out of mind) - it's made from some crazy interesting aerospace grade stainless steel.

I'll ask Wayne or Kent to post about it in the thread. :)