The Incredible Technics SP-10 Thread

Definitely, time permitting. Also need to figure out doing an EO as I plan on running more MM carts in the future. Just bought one, actually.

As I said, my EPA-100 purchasing experience was a bad one, so I was put off for some time. After moving to NYC I bought another off eBay from a guy in Jersey - Sal. Great guy. We met in person to complete the deal.

When I inspected the arm I saw some tool marks on the bearing retainers. These were very minor and I couldn't detect any problems (not that one reasonably can, just by handling). I figured if someone had been in to the arm they seemed to have been competent, and, worst case, the bearings could be rebuilt with SiNi balls.

When I was inspecting the arm I wanted to balance it and see how the bearings were by blowing on the headshell to see how resistant it was to moving. I simply couldn't get it to balance. It'd seem to, and then it'd start moving. I decided to complete the deal at the previously agreed price.

I see the same tool marks on the NIB B500 base I have, so it would appear they are from assembly. Not being able to balance the arm should've been the first clue.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    644.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg
    774 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    440.2 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    505 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    669 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 458
Last is what I think, with my limited experience, is one of the nicest P-mount headshells around. I'd read in various fora that these go for a few hundred, but I got this one for $32.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 136
I had the same Technics arm [came with one of my SP-10s and the obsidian + rosewood plinth] . It was very good with light, high compliance cartridges but simply did not work with the heavier low compliance MCs which I use; it didn't have much chance with heavy UK coins tacked to the back of the CW!! :eek: But it is a beautifully made piece of work and I am sure that had I still had my old ADC 25 and 26 set I would have kept it. A well set up old ZETA arm was the nearest I found to a general purpose arm back in those days whilst the ever faithful FR 64s was good with my usual cartridges.

I have had some medical problems of late and have been unable to bring my own build forward: but my health is now nearly back to normal and I am itching to get it and a Lenco rebuild finished. Comparisons will be interesting! :)

Last edited:
Glad everyone is moving forward on their projects and really enjoy reading about the different arms.

Started working on the power/control unit. The power supply is fitted, about to drill/tap/screw the components in place.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Gotten a little sidetracked with building a stand. Designed around hiding a MinusK and three lower shelves for equipment. 100% stainless steel the 3" legs will get tapped plugs to fill and hold lead shot. Will be painted black with Alsa Corp Soft Touch clear coat. The shelves will be ribbon mahogany stained almost black. Estimate that with the TT and lead shot should weigh in about 1000lbs.

Stainless work complete

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited: