The food thread

Can you still call it head cheese when there's no head?
Pork skin
Pork kidney
Pulled pork
Bacon.

Results to follow.

Attachments

• IMG_0132.jpeg
    IMG_0132.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 17
These are popular around here and often on sale. We buy in bulk.
Slice off the top with a thin cleaver. There's enough water to fill a mug.
Bring out the big boy, chop and scoop out the flesh.
She gets the water, I get the meat.

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpeg
    IMG_0141.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    555.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0144.jpeg
    IMG_0144.jpeg
    241.6 KB · Views: 17
I haven't made this for years, and it's better and easier than I remembered.
Mushrooms, tomatoes, cubed refried leftover pork belly, smoked olives, garlic, and tarragon with olive oil.
Spaghettini with some chopped parsley.
Light and refreshing.
I'm big on leftovers, so added a little chipotle/tomato sauce from a few days back.
No offence to Italians.
20240311_094931.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
That above is a tender coconut, ripe ones have thick flesh inside, and comparatively less water.
Yes, it's rare to see ripe coconuts around here anymore. It's the babies that are sought after and of course it's the water the people want. Eating the flesh is a rather boring affair. As mentioned, by the time you get thick flesh there is very little water compared with the young where the cavity is full.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill, it's about the type of cooking, not the food. Most anything can be done in an air fryer, it's what result you are looking for that determines if it gets used or not. It's basically just a convection broiler.
ok had to do a translation to English there. I think you mean a grill (heat source you put food under) rather than rightpondian meaning of grill being a hot pan you put food on?

hmm in that case can't see anything I would need one for. We have a grill for cheese on toast and a george foreman for dealing with aubergine and other thinly sliced veggies we want to sear a bit.

BTW nearly at 20k posts on food and related diversions.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
cheese on bread is my kind of thing but not sure I can warrant a new device for that.

It was an honest question as over here people only talk about chicken drums, salmon, chips and jacket potatoes in the air fryer and as they won't do jackets for 4 in one go I didn't see what the use cases were (and I don't know anyone who has one to ask them).

The HB grill is an oversized panini maker of which we have (T-Fal) and love as well. Everything in its place. No better grilled cheese than from the double sided heated counter top grill. I love to take it camping. So versatile. Fresh meats, veggies, sandwiches, weiners, bacon. So good and so compact. Heating from both sides is so fast.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 4.27.09 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 4.27.09 PM.png
    340 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
So there I was minding my own business in the local veggie market when I heard 'pssst, hey mister' behind me.
Turned around and a rather shady looking character pointed to the boxes of tomatoes in the back corner. Making sure I wasn't being followed, I sauntered over and said ya? How much. He said 20 dollars. I said my mother's ghost will strike me down before I pay that kinda price. Look at them uglies. I called the lady of the house over. She said 12 bucks.
I said deal.
You know where this is leading. Another batch of fresh TJ.
Multiple step process this time.
Blender then mill for stage one. (Is that two?)
Take the leftover pulp and run it through the masticator for stage two. (whatever, I'm losing track)
Seems to get the most out of the 20 something pounds of tomatoes.
The pulp is the least I've seen of any batch so far.
Romas are not ideal for fresh juice but I'm a sucker for a back alley deal.
That yields about 15 litres of juice.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpeg
    IMG_0147.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0148.jpeg
    IMG_0148.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Ripe coconuts are used in South India for making chutney, are added to gravies, and occasionally to 'Uddin Vada' (look that up).
Mostly after being shredded.

Ripe coconuts are also added to milk based sweets and chikki, among other things, and their water is mostly drunk by the cook or added to dishes like 'Appam' (similar to Sri Lanka hoppers), where it aids the dough fermentation process.
I think there are a myriad uses for ripe coconut flesh in food, a long topic which can be looked up by those interested.

When I lived in Bangalore, the tender coconut was chopped on top, juice consumed through a straw, and the vendor would cleave the empty nut, and give it back for us to scoop out the tender flesh, the 'spoon' was a bit of the outer shell (for want of a more correct word).
Totally ecologically friendly, very healthy.

Also, doctors in Third World countries have used the juice directly in IVs to revive patients, it is so pure.

The HB grill is an oversized panini maker of which we have (T-Fal) and love as well. Everything in its place. No better grilled cheese than from the double sided heated counter top grill. I love to take it camping. So versatile. Fresh meats, veggies, sandwiches, weiners, bacon. So good and so compact. Heating from both sides is so fast.
We”ve had this old George Foreman for probably 20 yrs or so, like you said makes the best grilled cheese.
Got to be careful though theres no regulation (just plug in and unplug when your done) your sandwich can get away from you if your not paying attention!
Cal I’m sorry to report my juicer allocations went towards a 14” concrete saw so I can get my patio finished b4 it gets too hot down here! Will get it eventually.

Attachments

• AC6FA999-7BD9-4DE3-A5A9-160097C3A523.jpeg
    AC6FA999-7BD9-4DE3-A5A9-160097C3A523.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 19