The food thread

Still feeling those ribs, so the braising sauce I saved for more became what I thought would be a light soup turned out quite hearty.
I kind of had an idea I might do this, so instead of basil and oregano the sauce had tarragon in it.
Thinned out and with lentils, mushrooms and some cilantro, it's rich. Perfect with some thick cut toasted sourdough garlic bread. Even with only a few hours altogether with the bones swimming in first sauce then soup, it tastes like there's a bit of marrow in it.
I should have redone the braising liquid like this long ago.
20240302_173453.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I love "salads." I put it in quotes because of dishes called a "salad" that really shouldn't be. Macaroni salad. Potato salad. Fruit salad. Sure, we accept them into the club, but are they really? Lol.

Unrelated, stopped by a Salvation Army store today with my sweetie on our Saturday morning date/outing, and I always look through the electronics and kitchen wares. Found a Denon DP29F in rough shape, left it there. Amongst the Asian made cast iron was a solitary grey pan with heavy rivets. Dug it out and it was a Calphalon Unison aluminum 12" pan for $5! Score! I'm slowly getting rid of all our leftover smaller pans from before we got together (6 years next month) and this will take over for two 8" pans easily. 20 minutes with some Bar Keepers Friend and a scotchbrite got it nice and clean! The missus found a purse that had a $5 bill stashed inside, too, so basically the pan was free!

20240302_183646.jpg
20240302_191935.jpg
20240302_191923.jpg

Anatomy of a dinner pizza. It starts by asking Mrs. Weldon on Saturday morning if that's what she would like for dinner. When she says yes, that means the crust will be good because she will make it. She makes it before you go out for the day.
You take things out of the freezer you are going to need.
When you come back things are ready to go.
Assemble your ingredients and realize you forgot mushrooms.
Roll out the dough and add to the oil pizza pan.
Add suace and remember why you make it so thick.
Cheese and shrimp. (I often precook the shrimp to reduce the moisture but not this time)
Green pepper and black olives.
Pepperoni (I often precook the pepperoni to reduce the fat but not this time)
Add cheese.
Either cut off or fold the excess dough back onto itself.
Bake. This was a wet pizza so it was done at 375º for about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    264.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    282.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    247.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    283.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0109.jpeg
    IMG_0109.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 17
Mrs. Weldon actually made 3 of her own for her and for distribution but I did mine later so didn't get pics of hers. Here is just one of them. It's a veggie pie made for a sister. She tends to make the snack type pizza. This one had:
Green pepper
Yellow Onion
Pickled red daikon
Jalapeno
Along with a slightly sweeter sauce and cheese.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 17
Brandade de Merlu / Merluza a la plancha - Hake in English, Merluza in Spanish.

Two really easy dishes to make and cook. We used to live in northern Galicia and in the extended family downstairs in the small apartment block lived an extended Galician family. The wife's brother, Jose Maria was a cook on deep sea trawlers and when he returned he always brought us a big foil tray of freshly frozen Merluza steaks. These cuts just had one big central bone and are served with excellent boiled Galician potatoes and and a big sweated piece of red pepper - merluza a la plancha. Fry the steaks of merluza in olive oil, leaving on the skin and cook on the flesh sides (both) until they get a crispy fried look. Slowly sweat the pepper until it is soft. The fresher the hake the better the taste.

Brandade - this recipe is French and readily available in supermarkets. I've never seen it on the menu in restaurants? Sadly it has never tasted as good as the fish that Jose returned with. Given a choice between fresh hake and cod, hake wins out every time.

I use fillets of frozen hake which are bone free.

Fillets of hake 500gr.
Mashed potatoes 500gr.
(1) large onion
Garlic - as much as you like.
Parsley - a good sized bunch,certainly more than is used commercially.
Garlic - " "
Olive oil - at least 4 tablespoons.
To taste - salt and coarsely ground black pepper.

Using a chef's knife, cut up the hake until it is mince like, do not cook, it is used raw in the recipe.
Cook the potatoes and mash.
Dice the onion and sweat it down, using olive oil - do not over cook.
Chop the garlic up very small.
Remove the leaves, discarding the stalks and chop up as fine or as coarsely as you prefer.

Just add the ingredients together so that there is an even mix. These quantities should be enough for 4 portions. I use square china bowls for two portions to cook immediately and square tin foil trays to store in the freezer.

Adding onion is my idea, cook for - 12-14 minutes @ 185F in an air frier. Another non traditional idea of mine is to add after 10 minutes finely grated Dutch Old Gouda cheese. This gives a crispy tasty finish to the dish - eet smakelijk.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I'm not sure what I made. It had a lot of oats (sprouted and rolled), then nuts, seeds, raisins and dried fruits.

I don't remember butter but I am guessing there was probably some combination of PB, brown sugar and honey. The trick as I remember it was to form the mixture into a baking pan over parchment paper and use a second pan, again with a paper separator then weighting the second pan heavily (think dumbells) and allowing to cool.
Aha the compression might be the missing thing. Will try that. Sadly can't use PB as a binder as cubs will be taking it to school in their pack lunches and no nut rule in place. Will report back on the next failure :)

(sorry for delayed response, Been visiting family and not had much online time.)

Deep fry 6-10 mm thick slices of Okra, drain and toss with red chili powder, coriander powder, and mango powder / lemon juice. Add salt to taste.
Tasty, particularly with chapati, for lunch.
Also look for 'Aloo Bhindi', okra and potato dish.

Sweet potatoes can be sliced 2 mm thick, deep fried like potatoes, and also pressed like French Fries into long thin pieces before frying.
Also can be baked in an oven. or baked in ash under the grate of a tandoor / buried under a wood or coal fire.
Also, sometimes added to the Gujarati dish 'Undhiyo'.

They are also cooked in a mixed gravy type subji in the Himalayan foot hills, long cooking time can break them up into the gravy, so it becomes a gravy thickener / sweetener in those dishes.

In South India, yam, tapioca, sweet potato, banana, okra, bitter gourd, and other vegetables are sold as crispy fried salty snacks, sometime dipped in batter.
Plain, spiced differently, and sometimes cheesy (!) versions are offered, packs from 50 to 500 grams are offered.
Shelf life is more than a month, you can search for those snacks for ideas.

The vegetable 'Taro' is steamed, bashed flat to 6-10 mm thick using any flat cooking implement you have handy, then shallow fried and garnished with salt, mango powder, red chili powder, coriander powder etc. and eaten as such or with chapati.

That is the North Indian version, several South Indian styles exist, and I expect Bengal / Assam versions as well, it is quite common in those regions as well.

Taro is called 'Arbi' and 'Arvi' in various Indian languages, there is a Rajasthan version as well, the vegetable is cooked without steaming first, sliced thin, stir fried, then tomatoes / onions / other ingredients added. I recall it as having a faintly sweet taste.
There are many recipes, look them up for ideas.

Enjoy.

The okra in India is typically 1/2" to 5/8" thick, less than 3" long. Seeds are less than 1/8" diameter.
It is also a different strain, my friends abroad say that the stuff in North America and Dubai is big, spongy at times, and slimy.

I am sorry for not mentioning that above.

If you can, get smaller okra, nearer or smaller than above and try the recipes given by me, which are really traditional Indian style recipes.
And try a quick style of cooking, deep fried bhindi / okra is done within 10 minutes, we chop, clean knife while oil is heating up, fry stirring occasionally, then drain through rack or colander, and sprinkle / toss the spices.
A longer slow cooking style does cause slime and fibrous texture beyond 20 odd minutes at cooking temperature.

Oh, and pressure cookers are very common here, the electric ones are expensive and unreliable.

My oldest is from 1962, and sees use occasionally as a steamer, the oldest regular user is from mid 80s...
The oldest one was a wedding gift to my parents in 1964....

Air friers are an expensive joke here, not even advertised now.