The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I must note a significant lack of information about the use of coal outside of Britain.... I wonder why?

Coal and peat were used in Continental Europe as well but an "english search" on the web is mostly based on England. Something is not right... even Wikipedia noted that in the article I quoted you. There seems to be a systemic ethnocentrism in the web searches... or perhaps there is some issue with the information currently in the Internet?

Coal, charcoal and peat were better fuels for cooking and heating than wood. And for metal working as well.

My wife made some splendid "hambugah" for dinner. Ground beef "steaks", japanese style. Awesome with rice.

Much of the ancient Indian metallurgy has gone away in knowledge terms.
Charcoal was used, apart from peat and cow dung for metal work.

One of my college texts (ELBS version of British text) had references to horse dung and molasses as binders for the sand used in casting patterns.

Ah, the old days...

In cooking, whatever fuel was easy to obtain was used, I guess.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Not perceived as so important to the Europeans of the time... so taken they were with gold, silver, glittering stones... was the flow of new foods that came from the Americas:

Corn, potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco, bananas, cacao, squash, sunflowers, etc...

Imagine european cuisine without those crops.

No coffee, no tobacco! Most of the European civilization would collapse! :)

Back to food: This past week while some family members were visiting I cooked a 5lb beef sirloin roast on my grill/smoker. I cooked it a while at low temperature with lots of wood smoke, until the internal temperature was 120F, then pulled it off and let it rest, then put it back on at a higher temp to sear the outside for a bit. It was excellent, and of course I had seasoned the outside with some rub and let that marinate for a bit. Anyway it was way more beef than we were going to eat in a few days, especially going out to dinner and whatnot, so I have this large leftover smoky sirloin roast. Tonight I used 600g of it so make smoky beef Stroganof, with onions, garlic, mushrooms, a bit of paprika, a dash of chicken stock, white wine, basil, nutmeg, and a cup of sour cream. Ate it with broad egg noodles and steamed broccoli and some cheap red plonk.

Cal: I can take a pic but it doesn't look like much. Tastes fantastic though, the smoky-spicy beef brings a whole other dimension to an old favourite.

Reactions: 1 user
Taylor ham n egg w American cheese on kaiser roll, a true belly-buster. This was in a NJ diner which also served "Vindaloo Lamb Burger"/

Attachments

• IMG_0295.jpg
    IMG_0295.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 41
While AFC is giving us some soul food, I am about to do something rare for us, in the same department.

I am making Mac and cheese tonight. Not from scratch, we have things that need using up.
This is partly KD and partly good stuff. As you guys know, every once in a while I go back to my childhood.
Tonight:
Two packs macaroni dinner. Only one of the agent orange seasoning will be used.
One 375 gr. bacon, precooked, fat retained in place of the required butter.
One 454 gr. 16/20 prawns
One can mushrooms bit and pieces
One can cream of mushroom soup
Hot sauce of course
Ship load of Mozz cheese

Comment as you like. I am going to have fun tonight and let my taste buds do the talking. I bet I win.
Cheers everyone.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
While AFC is giving us some soul food, I am about to do something rare for us, in the same department.

I am making Mac and cheese tonight. Not from scratch, we have things that need using up.
This is partly KD and partly good stuff. As you guys know, every once in a while I go back to my childhood.
Tonight:
Two packs macaroni dinner. Only one of the agent orange seasoning will be used.
One 375 gr. bacon, precooked, fat retained in place of the required butter.
One 454 gr. 16/20 prawns
One can mushrooms bit and pieces
One can cream of mushroom soup
Hot sauce of course
Ship load of Mozz cheese

Comment as you like. I am going to have fun tonight and let my taste buds do the talking. I bet I win.
Cheers everyone.
Seriously? I made Mac'N'Cheese last tuesday, 5/30.

Cooked the macaroni, drained them. Blended two cups of Velveeta (!), some milk and heavy cream and a touch of New Mexico chili powder (non spicy, smokey). Mixed the macaroni and sauce, added a bunch of large shrimp and finished it in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes.

My daughter noted that Velveeta offers a good mouth "feel" ( she's the chef) but it needs some other cheese. I think next time I'll put some gouda or maybe top it with reggiano parmesan.

What do you think?

Oh, no pictures, sorry. We ate it all. Yum!

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Real Japanese Wagyu Ribeye... a birthday gift. The meat was almost white. Just over a pound.

I think I over cooked it... put it at 128F in the sous vide for 15 minutes and then flipped it on top of a hot BBQ... it was crazy, it was dripping fat as if it were frying. My daughter warned me not to put it in the sous vide, next time I won't. I got a gift card for that store... I think I'll use it this summer.

The mouth feel was... crispy.. as if it had been fried... very good, very heavy, went fantastic with rice and a good Santa Ynez red.

Attachments

• 20230521_190850.jpg
    20230521_190850.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 40
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Now, chez Tony we don't always eat like Royalty ( sashimi and wagyu ) sometimes we eat like locals.

Here we'd gone holo holo and coming back we made a plate lunch for dinnah! Aloha...

Loco moco ( white rice, sirloin burger, egg, brown gravy ), homemade macaroni salad, home made tomato/cucumber/pineapple/mango/onion/etc relish and a good IPA.

Attachments

• 20230601_192252.jpg
    20230601_192252.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 30
Oh, no pictures, sorry. We ate it all.
I was kinda sheepish about showing pics. Seriously, if I make it once a year, that's the reason I will tell you guys about it. Part pleasure, part guilt. Those boxes probably had a best before date sometime in the last decade.

Yes Tony, yours sounds as good as mine (almost :devilr:) but please tell us you used uncooked shrimp before baking it for the last 10. I left the 16/20's whole. It made it that much better.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
And just to show that sometimes we can eat good old midwestern foods.... here's some braised beef in Campbell's mushroom soup, on top of home made mashed potatoes and steamed veggies.

The meat had the perfect mouth feel but it lacked salt. I was surprised since I thought the Campbell's soup would be salty, but it was not. Next time I'll add a couple of teaspoons of sea salt.

Attachments

• 20230507_184354.jpg
    20230507_184354.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 29
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I was kinda sheepish about showing pics. Seriously, if I make it once a year, that's the reason I will tell you guys about it. Part pleasure, part guilt. Those boxes probably had a best before date sometime in the last decade.

Yes Tony, yours sounds as good as mine (almost :devilr:) but please tell us you used uncooked shrimp before baking it for the last 10. I left the 16/20's whole. It made it that much better.

Well, what happened is that my wife had bought a big bag of cooked jumbo shrimp from the Korean store. Normally I get the uncooked shrimp from Costco.

Yes, I left them whole.

I added the shrimp, frozen, just before I put the macaroni tray in the oven. Sort of pushed the shrimp into the mixture from above.

I always think of the "best by" date as the añejo date.... you should age food before you eat it.

Got some good stories about that... another time... I'm not cheap, but I really don't throw food away. I had to throw some bread away last night. Ay!

I haven't shared lately... Mother's Day..
That is a beautiful spread. I have to ask though, how did you manage to get all those ingredients and prepare it like a Sushi Chef would? My hat's off to you.
My daughter warned me not to put it in the sous vide,
Bad daddy, WTF were you thinking?
Wait, I know the answer. You weren't. You were looking through IPA goggles.
Now, chez Tony we don't always eat like Royalty
Yes you do. You are king of your castle
when she let's you be that is.
Others bow at your feet,
to help clean up what you just spilled.

Trust me, I am one of those kings.

Reactions: 1 user