The food thread

Joined 2019
Paid Member
BSE was caused by adding uncooked meat from the slaughtered cows to the food eaten by the live cows
Uncooked? No, not that. The problem is that the prions that're the cause of Creutzfeldt Jacob, Scrapie, Kuru etc. are resilient, and normal food processing including cooking is not enough to ensure they're deactivated.

The issue for humans was the use of mechanically recovered meat, particularly from around the spine. This could contain active prions even when cooked.

I believe that, at the moment, there's an issue with some deer in the USA. They're being reported as having symptoms similar to bovine BSE.

The relationship between prions and BSE is still being researched and there's still debate about just how it got into the cows food chain. The assumption was feed, but it's not been conclusively proved AFAIK.

it is not a regular super market / grocery store item here.
Mostly only in the asian markets here. It's a Filipino product brought about because of a lack of tomatoes or tomatoes that were too expensive to turn into ketchup. While different, it's not like it's a completely new product. Problem here is, it's more expensive the tomato ketchup which is an inexpensive item.
Beef Tartare
Tartare is not a good idea IMO. To take the surface bacteria and potentially introduce it to the entire product is just too dangerous for my liking. It seems they like to season the meat after the damage has been done. I like to do Carpaccio, as I can season (cure) the meat before slicing and continue the process right up to serving time. :)

My son invited us over for dinner as his wife is in Spain ministering to a very sick friend. The grandkids (trois) had asked me to bake an apple pie when we saw them on Sunday.

The recipe is per usual which, for me, always requires using two varieties of apple. I used 3x Granny Smith and 2x Jonathans. Recipe requires 3/4 cup cane sugar, tsp cinnamon, qtr tsp allspice, 2 tbsp of flour and 2 tsp corn starch.

There being no "allspice" I just sprinkled ground coriander to about 1/4 tsp.

The secret ingredient -- at least a full tbsp of apple cider vinegar.

The grand-kids age from 3 to 6 ans and devoured the thing. It was the most delicious apple-pie I have ever baked.

You can find the unadulterated recipe on the NYTIMES website. This is my "go-to" for recipes which undergo a thorough review before publishing.

Reactions: 1 user
The vinegar makes sense. In wine studies, acetic acid in small quantities has been shown to enhance fruitiness. In the pie, of course it also helps cut the sweetness and may bring some complexity due to its fermented nature.

I'm a bit obsessed with coriander, and think it is way under appreciated in much of Western cuisine--except for sausage-making. I keep a grinder full of whole seeds in my spice rack, as the powdered stuff loses its aroma very quickly. BTW, coriander from different places often smells very different: orange, piney, eucalyptus, etc.

Chemically, coriander, like the rest of the parsley/carrot family, is rich in citrusy/floral terpenes, particularly linalool, with its orangey-lavender aroma. I find it brightens up almost everything without calling too much attention to itself.

Toast or dry roast the whole coriander seeds, cool and store in a jar, use a pepper mill to dispense.

Coriander leaves (cilantro in other countries), are known to be good for the kidneys in the Indian system of medicine, use them at serving time.

You can grow them in a pot or small part of your kitchen garden, add basil and curry leaves while you are at it.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I like my steak tartare medium rear.

Carpaccio is delicious... you ought to try "sushi" carpaccio. With yuzu... it's out of this World.

Pare! Down here banana ketchup is available in just about every "asian" supermarket.. and even some anglo ones. Even the Mexicans will carry it. You don't have to search for a Filipino supermarket... Just for fusion... I add a touch of sriracha to it, it makes the lumpia so much better.

But, just as it may be, we don't have to drive to LA County to get our Mamon.... we got a very large Filipino super a few miles from home.

1. UFC banana ketchup imported from USA, 320 grams (10 oz.), nearly $5.
2. Amazon is saying no stock for a brand called Juran, 12 oz. / 340 gram bottles.

I will ask my local exotic food guy, I need to send paani puri and sweet n sour chutney powders to Hyderabad...a trip to his shop is due in any case.

They are dry powder, very convenient, taste is nearly adequate, within limits of acceptance, 25 cents each!

And a lot less work than the real chutney, I start with boiling tamarind, jaggery, black salt, ginger, cumin, reducing it, and straining the pulp, that is chutney.
Chutney is added to a coriander mint paste based water.
Takes several hours.
That water is left to steep in the fridge for at least a day, then used.

Last edited:
'Tis the season.
Small spaghetti squash, split, gutted and Instantpot for a few minutes.
Filled with meaty tomato sauce and topped with white cheese.
All in one kinda meal.

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    188.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1408.jpeg
    IMG_1408.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1410.jpeg
    IMG_1410.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 25
Black / pink salt is described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kala_namak
The rock salt from the Himalayas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_salt

I use the black salt in addition to regular salt, it can be too strong....one popular laxative here consists mostly of sienna pods and black salt.

The usual serving is a pinch or two per head.
It is added as a flavor enhancer to roasted peanuts here, and some spicy packed snacks as well.

It is described as being cooked in pots from rock or sea salt with some additives which give it the characteristic color and flavor.

Short remedy for gassy or burpy feeling is to add a quarter teaspoon of either kala namak + roast cumin powder, or chaat masala to a glass of club soda.

There are also available masala soda syrups and flavors, and a soft drink called "Rim Zim" (supply is erratic), which has the similar flavours.
Fennel seeds powder is also added at times as a digestive enhancing agent.

Last edited:
You might get Himalayan pink salt at an Indian store, chaat masala is also interesting, I sprinkle it on chopped fruit like bananas and papaya.

Or ask the owner for Kaala namak, it is about 75 cents a kilo here as blocks.
Get powder, a small 100 grams or so.
Chunks can break mixer blades...do not attempt that....or dry turmeric for that matter

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Toast or dry roast the whole coriander seeds, cool and store in a jar, use a pepper mill to dispense.

Coriander leaves (cilantro in other countries), are known to be good for the kidneys in the Indian system of medicine, use them at serving time.

You can grow them in a pot or small part of your kitchen garden, add basil and curry leaves while you are at it.
I keep one of my 'pepper' mills filled with coriander and white pepper, about two to one.