The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Gravy is what you have with a roast dinner.

Made with the water from the steamed veg and parboiled potatoes made in the pan the meat and spuds were roasted in and using the separated juice from the roasting pan. Thickened with a little cornflour, seasoned with salt and pepper, red wine and a teaspoon of red wine vinegar

Brought to the boil and then simmered to reduce it. Or at least that's what I do...

When I make my sauce de viande I start by roasting beef bones for quite a while... then a parboil for like 6 hours, the bones should be cleaned and the marrow fall out. I might even have a few carrots in there towards the end. After that, I strain the whole thing and let it reduce for hours and hours and hours. Before serving I add a bit of the beef drippings -after straining-, red port wine and a little bit of brown roux. I might even add more butter into it. The butter helps to emulsify the drippings. The end result is a silky, not too thick sauce that clings to the meat, potatoes, bread, rice, your gut.... it's delicious.

My daughter, the chef, goes a step further. She takes 48 hours to make hers, in a very large pot. By the time she'd done boiling the ribs, they are bleached. Then she cooks it down for a 50% reduction... She has freezer safe one quart containers and she freezes the resulting broth. Obviously, she doesn't finish her sauce then and there.. that's just the base for subsequent cooking.

With that in the freezer, she can make all kinds of soups and noodle sauces...

Trust me, we're living well. ;-)

That article is laughable.
I'll say. How are people allowed to post this kind of thing?

"Soda bicarb is alkaline in nature and alters the alkalinity of blood (increases Blood PH).
No it does not.
The blood ph is controlled in a very tight range in the body through bodily processes.
The blood PH is controlled by your pulmonary system, not your digestive system. Carbon dioxide is the key factor.

Here's something for you.
This what I grew up with:

Parboiling (or leaching) is the partial boiling of food as the first step in cooking. The word is a portmanteau of partial and boil used by Americans to describe Blanching.
Then there is this:
Parboiling (or leaching) is the partial or semi boiling of food as the first step in cooking. The word is from the Old French 'parboillir' (to boil thoroughly) but by mistaken association with 'part' it has acquired its current meaning.

That's a first with me. Since Tony certainly has a depth of knowledge in this thread, I will stand corrected as it seems he was using the original term rather than the modern interpretation.

Reactions: 1 user
I add chaat masala to tomato ketchup for use as a dip.
Nice.

There are many flavored varieties of tomato ketchup here, with additions of red chilli, garlic, spices, tamarind and so on.
Other varietis of condiments are also sold, but they are not modified tomato ketchup.

Our cabbage disintegrates after half boiling for a half hour or so, it would be soup in 8 hours...

There's a fashionable dietary
Oh, I have a couple friends who have the alkalinity water machines and I know others who buy the premade.
I guess they liked the ads rather than speaking with any # of doctors or dieticians, gastroenterologists or other professionals who might have set them straight. I guess as long as you can have articles like the one Naresh provided, that look like they come from someone who should know, and should know better than to continue the disinformation, those things will continue.

Last edited:
I will look for banana ketchup at a restaurant supply shop, oddly enough it is near a food market, but in the line of many computer parts / repair stores...it is not a regular super market / grocery store item here.

Alkaline water may have some benefits, but off topic, you remember 'colonic irrigation?
Very fashionable and so on, until a lady died.
It seems to have disappeared from use now.

It becomes hard at times to distinguish between fact and fiction at times.

Here a famous actress is a model for RO purification systems, suddenly all the ladies wanted RO water, never mind that I live in a place with very soft water, and a UV / charcoal filter was perfectly safe.
RO machines waste 90% of the input water, and the pumps / filter media need replacement every three years.
Still they are the preferred type, men are sent to the dog house for not proving those.

A man who works as an assistant to my designer friend went and spent nearly a years's salary on an alkaline water machine.
I told him it was useless, next day he says it was installed last night.
I have not asked him about any changes in his body after that, fearing a long lecture.

Like I said 'phashion' is a terrible thing.

BSE was caused by adding uncooked meat from the slaughtered cows to the food eaten by the live cows, primarily a cost cutting measure started by bean counters.

Cows are normally vegetarian, here I hear about oxytocin injections given to cows to increase their milk output, basically you are tampering with Nature by doing these things, the consequences are well known.

Beef Tartare has disappeared from restaurants after BSE, it seems.