The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Only made the deep dish because I didn't want to stand outside that night and make 6 pies.
Made these on my 22" Webber kettle grill with my homemade pizza oven attachment.

pizza1.jpeg
pizza2.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I put tomato puree (salt, black pepper, oregano) on the crust, stuffing on top of that, and seal it with cheese.
Goes in the oven, top and bottom elements on, and the melted cheese seals the flavors.
Juicy when pricked with a fork.
I am not a fan of the pizza style where cheese, puree and toppings are all mixed together and grilled, they taste industrial...my opinion.

Traditional entree pizza uses cheese on top of the sauce to glue the ingredients and then more glue partway through with a final layer to seal them in so…

Crust
Sauce
Cheese
Meat
Cheese
Veggies
Cheese
Onion on top so they begin to caramelize
Fresh tomato added after baking

Ever had the toppings slide off when you were careless about the angle you held the slice? Something that just doesn’t happen when you glue things in place. I was taught this at a young age by my brother’s friend who’s parent owned a pizzaria. And yes, I spelled it pizzaria.

The meat on top is done when you are making a snack or party pizza, not for entree pies.

The original Marguerita pizza must regard the italian flag: white (mozzarella cheese), red (tomate sauce or cut in thin slices) and green (basil).

There are in youtube a character called Pino Prestanizzi who is an italian pizza maker who lives in Barcelona who teach how to make well pizza. But obviously pizza is mutant and each one adapts it to its own taste. (Note I have no one personal relation wirh him).

Yes, I like to include it when it‘s party time and we make more than one pie. We always have a sauce ready and in the summer and fall, we head out to the balcony for the basil. If there’s such a thing as a ‘refreshing’ pizza, that’s it. The difference for us is that our sauce is more herb-laden that a traditional Margherita sauce. Ours also contains no parsley nor oil. Doesn’t bother me, it’s still a delicious pizza. Simple and full of flavour as we tend to overdo the basil.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear. Do they recommend resting it before baking?
Nope, but I know the error. The recipe called for one apple, cut into small pieces. I used some stewed apple because I had no fresh apples. Should have reduced the amount of water to compensate. But generally the taste wasn't pleasant anyhow, it wasn't sweet enough and had too much baking soda.
I'll fiddle with the quantities and make another one someday. And considering I'm a tyro in the kitchen I'm absolutely amazed it took 18 months to have a proper flop anyhow. It was rescued by turning it out onto a wire tray and cooking for another 10 minutes upside down to reduce the wetness, which had sunk to the bottom.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I cooked a blueberry oat cake today, my first failure. Not sure if I made an error or it was just a bad recipe. The mixture was far too wet and it turned out gluggy.
Well, my first thought is you gotta use the GOOD blueberries. Wild Maine Blueberries. Not at all like those mutant freaks from New Jersey (literally- the guy collected over-size berries from growers and incested them to breed all-juice no-taste berries).

Here we are flush with WILD blueberries, in our woods, even in the convenience store. See photo, shot tonight when we ran out for milk. .
WildMaineBlueBerries-2022.jpg

Wyman's is not far west of here. Maine Sweet and Wild is a bit east of here. Nature's Promise is a national brand, avoid. The white-bag is the store house brand.
crates.jpg

There's a mega-freezer right before my doctor's building.

Ah, New South Wales..... shipping from Maine won't be good for the berries or your budget.

PRR, I hear ya about the blueberries, we had a family cabin about 30 min west of Belfast ME (St. George lake?)
I can remember picking 5 gallon buckets full from rolling hills/fields that went on seemingly forever!
These new strains of big ol hybrid berries taste like kindergarten glue paste in comparison.

Speaking of fruitcake, down to the last of 4 dozen fruitcake cookies…..they are more cake like texture and flavor than the real thing, made with a good amount of crown royal (most of the alcohol cooks off) and all the regular dried fruit & nuts, quite tasty! I can pull the recipe back out and post it if anyone is interested

Attachments

• 1D5BB7DF-D4AC-4898-BFF8-8AD19900F5C1.jpeg
    1D5BB7DF-D4AC-4898-BFF8-8AD19900F5C1.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 47
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Yes, Bob. I'd like to see it.
It's the heavy undercooked flour texture that I don't like about regular fruitcake(aside from preferring darker, milder
dried fruits to the brightly colored peels and cherries).

BTW, we are now getting Mountain Stage regularly again on Vt public radio(I have been listening via web since you reminded me of it in a post @2019).