The food thread

Klyftpotatis med ugnsstekt lax ... (Potato wedges with oven-roasted salmon ...) and a white wine. We have Systembolaget a state-owned business chain (monopoly) in Sweden (greate selection of high quality goods including US bourbon) and today I explained to a worker, what I was about to cook and asked for a wine to go with it and the advice was on spot.

So simple - potatoes with some butter and some salt and the salmon with a few drops of oil and lemon pepper.

IMG_5127.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
This is my bread just cooked. I build a simple tool to put them into the oven and take off them.
That looks excellent. I think I mentioned here last year that I have been making Afghan-style naan bread. It is very simple and quick, and also tasty. It requires oil in the dough. I usually "proof" my yeast first, by mixing 2tsp (10 ml) yeast and a tbsp of sugar (15 ml) with 1.5c (375 ml) warm water, and leave for 10 minutes to activate. In a big bowl mix 4c flour, 2 tsp salt, and 1/4 cup oil (corn oil is nice for this but any neutral oil will do) and combine well with your hands. Really rub the oil into the flour so it is evenly distributed. Then add the water and yeast, and again mix well with your hand. As the dough starts to come together (it's going to be a soft, sticky dough) continue to knead with your hand, turning the bowl regularly. The dough will stop sticking to your hand and the bowl as you knead it. Once it is kneaded cover and let rise one and a half hours. Turn it out on a floured surface and cut into about 8 pieces. Pat and stretch the pieces into long flat oval shapes. Mix a couple of teaspoons of flour with about 1/3 c water to make a slurry. Brush that on the tops of the loaves and smooth with your hand, with your fingers apart. This makes the loaf an even thickness but with a wavy surface. Sprinkle with nigella seeds. You can bake them in the oven, or run them under a broiler, or if you have access to a charcoal grill that is ideal. Cook one side for a couple of minutes until it starts to puff up, then turn them over and cook a couple more minutes. Slightly charred is good. The top one in the picture got too charred, but was still tasty (you can see that one end is already gone). The grooves made by my fingers go the long way, the cross grooves are from my barbecue cooking grids.

Note when you are done you just have one bowl to clean.

Attachments

• IMG_20220509_201222_860.jpg
    IMG_20220509_201222_860.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 37
Ok. The first part of your description with variants is what we call poolish. A pre-fermentation of floor, yeast, water or milk and sugar to create a soft spongue with high degree of CO2 inside.
Next week, around 21/22 december I shall make panettone milanese, with chocolate in place of fruits. That is, not molded. If it runs OK I'll post pics.

Slightly off topic: do/did anyone drink komboocha here? Opinions welcome.

The fluid from slightly sour curds is used in naan here to make it rise, give a smooth texture.
In a tandoor, the cooking is done only on one side, the heat cooks it directly in front, and the heat from the wall does the back, maybe a grill would work.
The naan is stuck to the earthen wall, and cooked without turning it.
Stuffed naan (cheese is one of many offered) is popular here, sometimes a complete meal if vegetables are used.

If you can, try using fire bricks (used for furnace lining and so on, many shapes), in the oven, good results.

More. The first pic (poolish) started 19/12/2022 ar 6am apx. Last (finished) on 20/12/2022 at 6pm apx or about 36 hours total. Note only 2grams of yeast for 600g of flour, 50/50 of each 000 and 0000 in those large plastic cans. No electric nor mechanic apparatus. All hand made.

Attachments

• Pan Dulce 14.jpg
    Pan Dulce 14.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Pan Dulce 13.jpg
    Pan Dulce 13.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Pan Dulce 12.jpg
    Pan Dulce 12.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Pan Dulce 11.jpg
    Pan Dulce 11.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Pan Dulce 10.jpg
    Pan Dulce 10.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Pan Dulce 09.jpg
    Pan Dulce 09.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Pan Dulce 08.jpg
    Pan Dulce 08.jpg
    425.6 KB · Views: 29
Looks like some tasty exotic stuff there Osvaldo!

Christmas eve Ham dinner…..local fresh smoked shoulder picnic, fresh pineapple & jalapeños from the garden, and of course the poked in whole cloves. Served with last batch (maybe, depending how they come back from the big freeze)of greens and some baked butternut squash.:santa2:

Attachments

• 56705A2F-3705-4323-AE87-F3DF96E607DD.jpeg
    56705A2F-3705-4323-AE87-F3DF96E607DD.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 user
Hehe, I'll take you through it.
1. Ingredients (Mommy's dough made yesterday)
2. Daddy's pizza uncooked
3. Mommy's pizza on the left
4. Slice of Mommy's pizza served
5. Daddy's pizza cooked
6. Daddy's pizza served

Mommy and Daddy's belly full.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpeg
    IMG_0543.jpeg
    190.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0539.jpeg
    IMG_0539.jpeg