The food thread

A heads up to CW - your best new friend in the kitchen, yes an air frier is great. Frozen pizza in the microwave @ 12-13 minutes but 8 tops in an air frier and it cooks much better. Whole chickens cook beautifully and remain succulent. I have found only one complete no-no - sausages, never again, far. too much cleaning up afterwards. I like the idea of making my own meat balls and not having to deep fry them.

I'm still looking for a multi-oven that has good user reviews. I'm going to a big supermarket today and I need to ask for some beef or lamb fat so I can render it down to cook bubble and squeak, it just doesn't work with any kind of oil.

I didn't make any chutney for 2 years now and I'm using the last jar. Chutney is unknown in France but all our French friends who have tried it love it. The longer you keep it in any dark cool space the better it gets.

I brought a few bottles of Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce with me when we left the island 21 years ago and I still have one bottle to broach - I wonder what it will taste like?

Nezbleu, your friend actually did or did not go to Sri Lanka?

Ah well, thereby hangs a tale. There was an organization called Canada World Youth, where young people from Canada and other countries gathered in teams to work on community projects and learn about each other. My friend was hired as a group leader organizing a group of kids from various parts of Canada (and two major language groups) and kids from Sri Lanka. They were based in northern Newfoundland, on the Great Northern Peninsula. I don't remember what community projects they worked on, no doubt building something that would be useful but a bunch of teen agers couldn't screw up too bad. When they were done their six months or whatever in Canada, they were to go to Sri Lanka for six months or so and work on a project there. Unfortunately, one of the Sri Lankan kids was (unknown to all) affiliated with a known terrorist organization and connected with some like-minded people in Canada and disappeared, which caused a diplomatic crisis, and someone had to be fired. My buddy was the one who took the blame. He never had the opportunity to travel to Sri Lanka.

I recall him telling me about his opposite number, the Sri Lankan group leader, who always had a bag of black pepper corns in his pocket and ate them like tic-tacs.

I have had Sri Lankan curry powder which is quite interesting because the spices are roasted until dark brown, like roasted coffee, before being ground. They are not burned but very deeply roasted, and it creates a very interesting flavor profile.

I'm still looking for a multi-oven that has good user reviews.
Can't help you with that as we need to have separate units. We tend to have more than one thing going at a time. Last night for example, I noticed that we had both InstantPots going, the air fryer, the countertop oven and the stove all going at once. Funny thing is we weren't even cooking dinner. Just doing 'stuff'

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Pizza last night. I must have imagined taking the pics as I can't seem to find them.

One thing of note. If you are making your own dough, we have recently discovered that after it finishes proofing, put it in the fridge for a day before rewarming and using it. Not sure how to describe the difference other than to say it's 'better'

Yes it is.
Even better to have the whole dough sprout cycle at +4*c. You can even lower the percentage of yeast that way it makes the dough easier on your stomach.

I'am at ~4grams/kilo ( fresh yeast) of dough with 24h sprout @+4*c for my pizza's foodtruck. Of course it'll depend of the flour 'strength' (parameter called W of flour if you can have spec of it).

The one i use have a strength (W) of ~270. If higher strength then you'll need more than 24h, lower W less time ( i know a fellow canadian pizzaiolo which use high percentage of Manitoba flour in his recipe ( W is very, very high with Manitoba flour). He have a rest at cold of almost a week! Very long but very tasty results!).

The 'better' comes from the slowing down of chemical reactions. The slower the better.

One other fun thing to do is to shape your pizza while the dough is still cold and then bake it asap: you'll have a 'crispy' external shelf while the inner is still soft. It gives a nice 'leopard' pattern look to it too ( thanks to thermal contrast/shock).

The same technique is used by french bakery for la baguette. ;)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Yes it is.

That all sounds like good info, thanks. I will pass this along to the baker in the house and let you know the results.

I'm using sourdough when making Pizza, no yeast at all.
I always let the dough rest for a day or so in a cold place.
The same when I'm baking bread.
I have two sourdoughs that Im using, one rye sourdough and one wheat sourdough.
For the Pizza Im ofcoure using the wheat sourdoug, for Baguettes Im using rye sourdough.
For bread Im using both, depending on the bread Im baking and somethimes a combination of both.
I recomend trying this, its easy to make a sourdough starter as long as you use ecological flour, and easy to keep as long as you remember to feed it.
Its tasty and good for the stomack.

Stein

Joined 2009
Paid Member
^ ok.
I tried sourdough and it brings a bit of acidity to the dough which isn't bad but not worth the hassle in my case ( i'm professional, my dough needs to be the same each time a customer comes to me and with sourdough there is too much variable at play imo, and i don't see the point to follow the rules in EU about it : only 13%). Some of my colleagues use much more complicated recipe than mine... which is very basic! :)
Your way seems close to a Poolish. Here again a good way to bring flavor. :)

Rye sourdough in baguettes? Interesting interpretation! Must bring some flavour to it.

I think my baker use same yeast as mine for baguettes, i'll ask him tomorow.

Natural sourdough is good: ask Belgians about Lambig!

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Thanks
No, what I'm using is not like a poolish, in an poolish you use water, flour and a pinch of yeast, let it mature for a while and use it in the dough instead of using a lot more yeast.
I made the sourdoughs that I'm using 25 years ago and have kept them alive.
When I'm baking I take a part of that "mother" sourdough and use it in the dough.
I'm adding flour and water to the "mother" sourdough every two weeks to keep it alive, it needs some food.:)
In some breads Im adding some poolish in the dough to make it rise faster.
I'm not a professional, but simply like good bread and pizza and like to do it myself.:)

Stein

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes i understood you are an amateur Stein. In the noble sense of the word: a connaisseur!
I'm always floored to see the level of some people ( just like in audio).

A surdough of 25 years, congrats the last one i've done lasted maybe 6 month then died.
I still don't know why. Maybe i used a poor flour ( refined and treated) to feed it.

I've seen a different way to do Poolish ( and why i talked about Lambig too as it is based amongst same principle from what i've seen): the recipe is the same as yours except no yeast is used and the rest time is long ( at ambient temp) something along 24/48hours.

They used the natural sourdough which is present everywhere around us to start the first fermentation ( same for Lambig and why they never move the production place: taste would change once restarted!).

Talking about rye, the baker from my village does a rye puff bread to die for! I don't buy it too often as i can help myself and eat it entirely... in maybe one hour! And as there must be a ton of butter in it... :rolleyes:

About yeast and baguette i think there is some official recipe about it ( a 'label') and it ask for fresh yeast ( deactivated- non dry). I will ask tomorrow... we have so much different breads in there. And i almost like them all!

If there is two things i couldn't live without it is bread and cheese from my country! :D