The food thread

And what kind of dog is it? Why it's a Euro-frank by George.

The pizza sauce is pre-cooked and fully loaded with finely chopped bacon, green pepper, black olives and mushrooms, ready for a dog. The scallions are fresh from the balcony and the green on top is just a commercial Italian seasoning mix.

The chili came out of the freezer so I don't remember all the ingredients but it's a typical Cal chili.

The cheese is from a local producer and is much less rubbery than factory Mozz. Still stringy but more creamy in texture.

The buns are courtesy of Mrs. Weldon, as there's nothing better than honey buns I say.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The cheese is from a local producer and is much less rubbery than factory Mozz.
How do they make that packet shredded mozz that is almost entirely unlike mozzarella? Actually not sure I want to know :D

Aside, I recently discovered Burrata. My waistline thanks $DEITY that you can't get it locally, but damn it's nice.

The buns are courtesy of Mrs. Weldon, as there's nothing better than honey buns I say.
I concur, but may be different buns I am talking about :D

I believe they are one and the same Bill. My 5'4" asian wife weighs 125 lbs. You can probably put the pieces together. As a matter of fact, I think I know someone else with an asian wife, albeit from a different country and culture.

While honey does bring home that shredded Mozz from Costco, it get used for other things. It's too cheap to ignore. Cheese here in Canada is really expensive, but if you want stringy, creamy and that nice aged flavour you have no choice. You pay double or more for the good stuff. Thankfully we're in cow country. Well, we were until they all drowned in the recent flooding. :bawling:

It's not called aged, I am describing what I liken to an aged cheese flavour. It is more robust, has a hint of a tang and it doesn't tangle your barrel grater the same way. Next time I have some extra cash, I'll get some and ask for the story.
Like many other things I consume, it comes in brown paper wrapping and doesn't exactly have a nutrient label on it. This latest one was from about 20 km's from here. Unfortunately I will have to source it from places of higher ground for now.

Ahh..ok , I get it now.

I'm kinda used to the Italian one which is (ideally) made in the afternoon and sold from roadside stalls the next morning for use on the day but it keeps for a few days in brine.

Hope you are ok, those floods made the news here and it didn't look like fun.
May be those Italians are onto something making their mozzarella from water buffalo milk!

Another round of hamburger. The had sirloin tip roast on at a very good price so I asked them to throw in some fat and I got a little extra kidney as they had no heart on hand. 5kg in total.

Attachments

• DSCN7913.jpg
    DSCN7913.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN7917.jpg
    DSCN7917.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 133
Interesting reading Allen, thank you. I have mentioned it here before but we use the Heritage Rock non-stick. It's really cheap, quite well made and I like the thinking behind it. It has a stippled surface and uses ceramic coating. Because of the stippling, your flipper only touches the tops of the stipple and the ceramic on the bottoms part remains undamaged long after you've scraped off the tops.

Heritage The Rock | Canadian Tire

In honour of our neighbours to the south I am doing turkey drums for dinner. They are in the immersion cooker, and three of them are in a BBQ styles sauce and three in a Sage type sauce. The sage water will be used for the gravy and I have smashed potatoes in the dish ready to be reheated for when the Mrs. returns. Okra is the hot veggie, along with mini cukes, artichoke hearts and bamboo shoot salad.

Bill, smashed potatoes involves leaving the peel on and not mashing to the same extent to give it a better texture. I like to make mine with butter, milk, seasoning and some chopped onion. It’s good if the onion is heated from the potatoes, but not cooked. The effect is very desirable.
This time I added a little cream cheese and a bit of aged cheddar as my honey isn’t a big fan of my gravy and I still want smooches after we eat.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
That does look good, Bob.

We don't see too much turkey over here. I know turkey loaf has a unique and interesting taste but I suspect it is artificial.
Cal Weldon said:
Turkey drums are in the immersion cooker. 8 hours at 160º then surface sear.
I once tried roasting a turkey the way I'd do chicken, and I think I could have woven a basket with the meat from the drumstick. Your sous vide method seems like it would be the perfect solution.