The food thread

I fired up the pellet smoker again. This time it was a chuck roast and two lamb shoulder chops.

The chuck went on at 8:30 with the smoker set to 170F. At noon I put the lamb in and after an hour turned it up to 250F. After an hour I tented the Chuck and an hour later tented the lamb.

The lamb was done at 5 so I took it out and put it in the oven on keep warm.

The chuck was done at 6pm.

We had baked beans, mac-n-cheese and some commercial potato salid with it.

Desert was a home made peach cobbler using South Carolina Freestone peaches (not pictured).

Attachments

• 20210717_182145.jpg
    20210717_182145.jpg
    967.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Local place had “London broil” cuts on sale buy one get one. Tried the first one medium rare. Tough and no flavor. Not really a cut I recognized. The “London broil” pieces not on sale looked right! So I bought another pair of the bad ones and corned them. Absolutely fabulous!

I have a few pounds of #1 pink preserving salt and it takes two table spoons per five pounds of meat. Otherwise it takes a nice assortment of pickling and other spices.

Trick for London broil is to salt/pepper heavily and fry it in a hot frying pan (I have a heavy pan with ribs on bottom) with 50/50 butter n olive oil. Butter needs to be just scorching when you add the meat 5-6 min each side will result in a dark crust and a rare center then rest it for at least 10min before slicing (very thin)against the grain as you would corned beef.
Some people marinate them but I think the subtle flavors come through better without.
Don’t forget to fry up onions/peppers/mushrooms in the pan while the meat rests!

Edit…..if you can’t handle rare or at the min. Med.rare don’t bother with this cut.

******************** The Shape of Sourdough *****************************

My Wife and I have developed a taste for sourdough bread .
For practical ( sandwich making ) purposes I would like slices
the size and shape of normal ( store bought ) bread .
It seems that the better the taste , the more the shape varies
from this .
Can sourdough not be baked in a pan , and made into nice ,
symmetric slices ?

Bob, as I remember it as a teenager it was excellent. Very tender and a great flavor.

I will have to try it on my new smoker.

Tonight I experimented with Tempura.

Yellow Squash(from the garden), Green Tomato (also), Jalapeno (Yea), and dill pickles (from a jar).

Oooo, good.

Sadly I had tenderloin tips and mushrooms with brown rice and stuffed myself on the veges....

Why do my attachments turn up upside down unless I open them in paint, rotate 180 degrees twice, save and attach them?

Attachments

• Tempura.jpg
    Tempura.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
They're descended from color mutations in carp and probably taste like carp which when wild are sort of like wild catfish (not to everyone's taste). Whole steamed carp Chinese style is great (IMO).

Blackened catfish with fresh lemon is like a top-10 dish for me. I would love to try Chinese steamed carp as I’ve been cooking a lot of Sichuan as of late

The mussels season has really started around here. It's a bit of a cliché coming from a Belgian but still...

Best cooked simply (and served with a fresh baguette rather than fries imho).

I remember fondly buckets of moules in Antwerp center and a few plateau de fruit de mer. We went to the King of Spain in Brussels once on a night where the students have their last last party before classes resume (I guess), very sick college students everywhere.