The food thread

You probably ingest more of it than you know! It’s a popular thickener for ice cream, toothpaste, and here’s the one that would interest Cal......it’s used in breads to help the release from the cooking pans.

CMC was also one of the causative factors of deaths from "toxic shock syndrome" when it was incorporated into tampons.

One of the companies I followed for investment research, Hercules (now part of Ashland) got caught up in this disaster.

About the same money as cornstarch and it might be better?
You’re going to have to help me with the math here Bob. Corn starch costs $.99 for a 454 gr box. I use about 25 gr per batch for 2 cups of glue mix to add to the 4 cups of sawdust mix to make 25 or 30 pucks.
Unless my two remaining brain cells have given up the ghost, I’m not sure that other product competes. Is there a possibility that a 2% mix would do anything like what I am doing?

So your using roughly 10% solution corn starch (5x more than CMC)
I figured $2/lb for the corn starch when I did my math.

So boils down to 5 cents a batch cornstarch or 10 cents a batch (@2%) CMC......the same in my book!

Now if it works better or not I couldn’t tell you, if it was me I’d try it just to see if it was any better (or works at all)

oh yah...... Cal don’t put any on your tampons! :D

Edit.....you can buy CMC in small quantities so you wouldn’t be out much to try it.

Disclaimer........I have no idea if this would work, or if it’s safer than corn starch, but I did stay in a holiday inn recently!

Last edited:
Meanwhile I have a small piece of beef brisket (about 1.2Kg) that I want to smoke, but I can't decide exactly what I am trying to make. I intend to brine it, perhaps in 2 stages (wet and dry) like a Montreal smoked meat. I am making the brine now. Some folks say that adding flavours like onions, herbs, etc to a brine accomplishes nothing, but OTOH people have been marinating meat to add flavour forever. So I am simmering some onion, leek, carrot, celery, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf, cloves, garlic, and peppercorns in about a liter of water, probably for a couple of hours. Then I will add salt and sugar, strain and chill over night. I moved the meat from the freezer to the fridge, and sometime tomorrow will start to brine the meat.

My vague plan is to dry off the meat after a few days, and cover it with a rub of salt, pepper, sugar, coriander seeds, and leave that wrapped up in the fridge for a few days, then smoke it.

So it's been a few days with that meat brining in the fridge. Tonight I got nervous and gave it a sniff test, no unpleasant odours observed so the salt is doing its job. Not sure which day I will fire up the smoker, either Thursday or else Saturday. If the former I should start stage 2 now, but could maybe wait a day if smoking on Sat. OTOH it won't hurt to dry off the meat and coat with salt and spices, though I decided to forego the sugar in the dry rub but use a bit of paprika for color. I don't have any curing salt containing nitrates or nitrites, just kosher NaCl. I mixed up the rub tonight so I guess I'll start stage 2. A couple of nice days have made me keen to get going, but there may be some crappy weather on the way.

Son requested another pork butt on May 10th. I already have it ready in the freezer, so should be easy.

I have an empty rack in the smoker so I picked up another 8# or pork loin to make into Canadian bacon.

Why waste the smoke and heat?

I always use the prescribed amount of Instacure when smoking.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I made my first pizza tonight. Never tried before because I'm alergic to dairy and couldn't see the point without cheese.

Well I recently discovered a mature cheddar style vegan cheese that actualy tastes like cheese (as far as I can remember because it's been 38 years since I had any)... so my daughter says she wants pizza (also can't have dairy) and I decided to give it a go.

Turned out pretty well and was much better than the vegan offering from domino's. This cheese actually melts like real cheese.

Tasted pretty good. I didn't make the dough. I cheated and purchased some turkish pizza bases.

Tony.

Attachments

• 20210424_220257.jpg
    20210424_220257.jpg
    717.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 20210424_220324.jpg
    20210424_220324.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20210424_220345.jpg
    20210424_220345.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 101
  • 20210424_220500.jpg
    20210424_220500.jpg
    651.4 KB · Views: 100
Amazing, Tony, that you have never had Pizza before! :D

A tip for the afficinodos. Always buy milder South Mediterranian Rose Garlic for the superior flavour. Only the awful Parisians eat the Purple stuff. Basically bread and tomatoes and herbs. Yummy.

I am more a curry man. I quote camillia panjabi:

Lamb with Plums (gosht alu bakhara) punjab. This is one of the more interesting curry dishes that I have encountered. It is a speciality of the Veeraswami Restaurant in London, which is the oldest Indian restaurant in the World. The dish is Hyderabi in origin, as was the founder of Veeraswami, Edward Palmer, whose grandmother was a Hyderabadi princess.

Attachments

• Curries and Penrose.jpg
    Curries and Penrose.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 204
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Steve, I did have pizza as a kid before I discovered that dairy was what made me sick all the time. But it's probably more than 40 years ago!

It was actually red onion not garlic. I did think about some garlic but decided to keep it simple for a first effort :)

I do like a good curry too!

Tony.