The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
So with beer included the cost per puck goes up somewhat? :p

SWMBO list is quite short. Although tidy up the shed is always near the top...

Sunday was Holi and all I had to do was light a bonfire for toasting marshmallows with the kids. As I had converted the smoker to an incinerator* and a fence panel had blown down recently and needed disposing off two birds with one stone.

*I know that is heresy on here, but lets face it, for a vegetarian there is limited use for a smoker. I was a meat eater when I got it...

So with beer included the cost per puck goes up somewhat? :p
The beer will be enjoyed nonetheless. Having SWMBO's blessing is the trick.
SWMBO list is quite short.
I could only wish.
*I know that is heresy on here, but lets face it, for a vegetarian there is limited use for a smoker. I was a meat eater when I got it...
Lot's of veggie things can be done on the smoker but I don't know if I have ever fired up one just for veggies, so I hafta 'gree with you there. Perhaps for making chipotles?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I don't know why I have this image of you looking at the knife then just hitting it with a mallet here. :D

Personally seems sensible to leave all the bones in. Extra flavour.

Attachments

• captain_caveman.jpg
    captain_caveman.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 98
I don't know why I have this image of you looking at the knife then just hitting it with a mallet here. :D
Bill, Bill, Bill. :nownow: Remember that talk we were gonna have? Send me your number, I'll be sure to call, forgetting about the time difference and wondering why you don't want to talk with me.
Bill, the knives are for dividing the pieces among your family. The mallet is for tenderizing. Mrs. Cave always seems to overcook it. Not sure why, Brontosaurus is not hard to do properly.
Personally seems sensible to leave all the bones in. Extra flavour.
Extra flavour? Bill, those are handles. Who wants to look like Grog, next cave over, picking up boneless meat with his fingers? C'mon man how can we take you seriously?

I think all those veggies have gone to your head.

@ George

My source here says they can't get my favorite cheese due to Covid. I hope all is going to get better soon. BTW why do they spell goat two different ways on the label? It's fun to use my high school Greek to sound out the words phonetically.

Attachments

• cheeze.jpg
    cheeze.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Buccatini Limone
saw this in the Sunday NY Times --- tried it tonite, really good.
4 lemons, zest two, squeeze one for its juice, quarter the other two and slice the quartered sections in 1/8th inch slices.

Boil a pot of salted water sufficient for a pound of buccatini. Blanche the lemon slices in the water for two minutes, remove w slotted spoon and pat dry on a dish towel.

In the "lemony" water, cook the buccatini - ymmv -- takes 10+ mins to get just past the "al dente" stage.

While the pasta is cooking, glaze the lemon slices in a bit of olive oil, season with salt and sugar, add a decent chunk of butter (3 tbsp). Will glaze up nicely after about 5 minutes.

When the pasta is done, reserve about 1/2 cup of the water, and drain. Combine pasta with the lemon goodness, reserved cooking water, add pepper flakes, shaved Reggio Parmesan, flat-leaf parsley, serve.

This was really good. Of course, you could use any thick pasta but I think the buccatini is really appropriate.

Next time, will include some pancetta, but we are overloaded with jambon over Easter.

Back to making smoker pucks. The system is coming together as I make slight alterations to the press. Smooth operation and very few oops'

Q: does anyone know of a spray (or similar) that can be applied to galvanized steel so the mixture I am pressing doesn't stick? I am wondering about a silicone of some sort? Maybe teflon or...? Something more permanent than vegetable oil.

I am having to dip my finger in oil about every second or third puck to wipe the discs as the corn starch does make things rather sticky.

Maybe I could cut out a couple disks from an old teflon fry pan?

Help me out here you geniuses. :)