The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
The only mandolin I have any time for looks like this:

goldtone-mandolin-gold-tone-left-handed-gm12-12-string-acoustic-electric-mandolin-7402352001_2048x.jpg

I'm pretty quick with a good 'ol hocho:

f-897_aji-kiri__99825.1496707341-1024x1024.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
No rack. The bottom is ridged and the recipes do call for mirepoix.

This roaster is intended to be used closed for the first 90% or so of the cooking time. Moisture is contained, so not a dry heat. However, the special ceramic and the shape allows a significant amount of browning due to radiant heat from the lid (which is in fairly close proximity to the bird).

I was skeptical at first, but I followed the recipe and the small version made the best roast chicken I have ever made. The breast meat was as juicy and tender as the legs. Take the lid off for the last 10 minutes or so for a bit of extra crisp on the skin.

Mine is only 36" wide and intended to cut sheet metal. For smaller thicker stuff I have an 8" unit. Both hand powered.

For bigger stuff a 50 ton turret press. Pretty hard to cut your fingers on the tools, but if you stand in the red zone it will put a 1/2 M wide piece of metal through your mid section!

The press brake requires both hands on the controls to account for where your fingers are. Of course this feature can be bypassed with a front panel switch! More common is not to understand when the metal is bent, the edges go up in the air. Stupid will break your jaw, doubt it will tear your head off.

Those are actually safer than my old table saw. It injured three before I replaced it with the European style saw. The new one if you are moderately stupid will cut through your wrist just about as you notice it.

But on the food topic, I do have a rotary slicer. Although you could take 5 mm off your fingers if misusing it, cleaning it thoroughly can slice your fingers.

Another kitchen tip, wear leather shoes when chopping with sharp bits. The concern is mild while chopping, it gets greater when you put the tool down and move the food. Normally sharp thingies live in a block, the danger is when left around while doing something else.

Not sure I would take advice from a chef with 9 toes!

Most folks are unhappy when they get to see their tendons or dendrites!

Of course the greatest kitchen danger is insidious, over eating!

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
First pumpkin soup of the year from a pumpkin the kids grew. Not fully sure they grasped that this was all from the seed they had planted in the spring, but they were very happy.

I've also finally got my bread mojo back. I know its cheating to use a breadmaker, but mouths to feed and I wouldn't be able to make enough otherwise. Shortages over lockdown have meant I'm on different flour and yeast than I was calibrated for and has taken an age to come up with the right ,mix to get the loaf as we want. Granary flour has been in very short supply so finally gave up and got a 16kg bag, milled about a mile from where my brother lives.

I'll forgive the nippers for preferring white baguette to my granary bread...

Speaking of new toys, we just picked up this upright mandolin. It really does a nice job, the only concern I have is the blade sharpness. It's very sharp now but for how long? I don't see a way to sharpen it so I hope it some good steel.

Safe Slice Mandolin 이지쿡 슬라이서 cremo TV "크리모" - YouTube

I bought this one several years back. When making over 3 gallonsof sauerkraut it is really handy.

The blade in mine is replaceable. although it is probably cheaper to buy four of yours.

Amazon.com: Bron Coucke Stainless Steel Classic Chef's Mandoline (Model #): Kitchen & Dining

I bought level 5 cut-resistant gloves to wear when I use my mandolin. No blood so far.

^ I think I could have on a knight's equivalent of armor and still not be able to use a mandolin. The chain mail and/or kevlar gloves do seem the right choice, however.

Fortunately, I enjoy chopping with a knife, and my skills are only getting better and better. So I don't think I'm any worse for the wear.

Ed -- agree on TS. Hoping to get a slider (5-in-1 machine) whenever I get my own shop vs. using my dad's equipment.

Food ?

I was just thinking, we are at the pinnacle of human food experience; our generation, is at the peak of food in the history of the planet. It will never be the same again so enjoy it to the max whilst you can.

Think about it - many different kinds of food have been discovered by foraging humans over 100,000's of years and later exploited through agriculture for around 10,000 years. Many independent discoveries and inventions have been made in the last 1,000's of years around the globe by different people and cultures who have explored a myriad of plants, animals, fish and cooking methods. Happy accidents have lead to many additional inventions. Wealthy empires and leaders over history have sponsored the development of the most refined tastes and food of amazing colours and textures across the globe.

Today, with the advent of air travel and international communications we are aware of these food types, all these discoveries and inventions. And we are healthy enough, wealthy enough for many of us, to sample and taste from this huge selection - we literally can live like gods.

But, we are over populating the planet now, food stocks are narrowing, we grow only a few varieties of food compared with what was possible in the past, we farm things that are no longer accessible from wild sources. This exploitative industrialization of food has already robbed many people of what would have been possible and is clearly inexorably placed food on a downward trend. There will be pockets of innovation and discovery, a few bright starts, but it's over, it will never be as good again.

Go forth and eat, eat only the best.