The food thread

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I've just thrown together a haphazard "mincemeat style" meat loaf. Ground venison meat and ground venison heart, eggs, earthy seasonings (allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, chili powder, garlic powder, black pepper, salt), and some muesli comprised of oatmeal and dried fruit.

I roll the dice like this once in a while. Often enough, it works out well. We'll see. It's in the oven.

My daughter is making homemade french fries as a side for dinner and an apple flan/cake for desert. My wife is making a mix of Brussels sprouts, broccoli and green peppers roasted with olive oil and seasoning.

Sipping on a "shawarma Caesar" before dinner. Another thing I just "invented".

Last edited:
Ignorant as I am, I came across Burrata today in this article BBC - Travel - Burrata: The surprising origin of Italy’s creamy cheese
In France and Belgium, it was almost unheard of ten years ago. Then it became a trendy ingredient. Now, even small supermarkets often carry it.

Eaten whole, with a plate of cold, grilled vegetables and good bread, it's a very nice lunch in itself.

Otherwise, make the most simple pasta sauce you can (basil, oil, roughly chopped tomatoes) and scoop the creamy inside of the burratta on top (what's called the "stracciatella"). The outside is too tough to melt properly.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
EDIT - Sorry bad g to oz conversion, it's 90 vs 120 while most cheese hovers around 70
The problem is most cheese keeps and that you would have to eat in one sitting. I guess shared 4 ways would be ok, but the article inferred you pig the whole thing down solo! I just did a check and most of the ones you can buy here are 125g, whereas the one in the article is a lot bigger.

Otherwise, make the most simple pasta sauce you can (basil, oil, roughly chopped tomatoes) and scoop the creamy inside of the burratta on top (what's called the "stracciatella"). The outside is too tough to melt properly.
OK that does sound good. What do you do with the outside in that case?

I see it's been a week since there was a post here so I'll add one. This weekend is the Canadian Thanksgiving so turkey it is. I bought a 9.5 kg bird this morning. I will be splitting it then brining and smoking. Ordinarily it would be served with smashed red potatoes, sauteed Brussels sprouts, Kobacha croquettes and candied carrots. Gravy and cranberry of course. Cold dishes would include beets, sauerkraut and English dills.

Unfortunately my bubble doesn't include enough persons to make that worthwhile so we'll probably do just the turkey, sprouts, croquettes and beets.

Scott etal,
I am hoping you remember the old orange plastic V-blade mandolins of yesteryear. That was my introduction to fingerprint removal 40 or 50 years ago. Took me this long to regain the courage. This one is a far cry from those and even Cal would have a hard time hurting himself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 12.33.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 12.33.23 PM.png
    585.8 KB · Views: 71
Still my preferred device "only available on TV". I've had only two major finger injuries, one was as a kid opening one of those Testors model paint jars with a pliers. The jar broke in half and became a weapon. The second was prying frozen ravioli apart with a paring knife, right to the bone. I consider shaving off a finger tip merely a flesh wound.