The food thread

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, I recently found out that most of it is exported from China, Peru and Mexico, in that order. The US being the #1 buyer.

San Joaquin County, CA, where I live, used to grow lots of asparagus. Over 24,000 acres of it were planted here in the '90s. There is none left, the labor costs are too high to grow it here any more.

Bill
Stockton, CA

San Joaquin County, CA, where I live, used to grow lots of asparagus. Over 24,000 acres of it were planted here in the '90s. There is none left, the labor costs are too high to grow it here any more.

Ours was from Hadley MA but it was all wiped out by a blight and never was replaced. I personally don't get white asparagus, years ago they sold the green variety picked at 1/8th of an inch thick in Little Italy now gone along with a lot of other things.

Last edited:
We get this @ Dollar Tree .......Pretty tasty : )

Attachments

• asparagus.png
    asparagus.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's my understanding (though with no experience),
that it is easy to grow. Once a patch is started,
it will continue to produce, year after year.

Yes once established. Not as fussy with fertilizer as rhubarb but can take 5 years to establish and takes up a lot of space per stalk in your garden.

How an asparagus farmer's death spurred robotic innovation - BBC News They are working on automating the harvesting. I still like my from the grower when I can.

Has anyone tried samphire? I've foraged it for other family members and never got around to trying it myself.