The food thread

Ok Cal time for the thinkin cap since that's all I can do after a hot day workin . The car red 36.5c on the way home a couple hrs ago.
You say dry but kiln dry is very dry so maybe a little spritzing of water to avoid them lighting and flashing off. The sawdust seems to smolder better so that or a mix. I will also be debarking some slabs coming out of the kiln this weekend.

For wood chips/shavings etc those little smoker boxes work pretty well, a metal box with small holes in the lid and you fill it with wood chips (maybe presoaked) and put it on top of the burner. Less likely to burst into flame. OTOH if you already have a cast iron skillet or some aluminum foil...

Tonight is time for one of my faves

Chicken grilled with butter and salt. I get the fresh chickens from the local farm store so they are never fed junk or frozen. Spatchcock the chicken and rub with salt, grill with indirect heat and baste with butter often.

Pineapple coleslaw. Make a creamy coleslaw your usual way then add pineapple bits with juice until it tastes right. The first time I tried this I thought why did I not think of it myself. Don’t remember seeing it in the flavor bible but this is a shrimp and grits level pairing.

Fresh baked rustic bread with Irish Butter. This is a simple bread with water, salt, sugar, yeast and flour. I bake it with steam in the oven to get a crispy crust.

I think the coleslaw qualifies as a vegetable & fruit so… That’s it.

venison/eggplant lasagna with a fresh fennel ragu in the outdoor kitchen under the house this evening......heres the start, I'll post a finished pic and worthiness review later.

Attachments

• 20200620_180440.jpg
    20200620_180440.jpg
    876.1 KB · Views: 65
Thx, I usually wouldn’t have an electric stove but we’re coastal and with the wind under the house gas wasn’t really an option....it was the nicest ‘apartment size’ stove I could find, figured the real porcelain enamel would pay off in the salt air.
Yea .... The " apartment size " is what I like .
I also prefer gas , except for one thing :
With electric , the broiler is up in the main
chamber .