The food thread

Thanks, everyone! I believe some sausage will be part of the package, but we'll see. It's going to need some help with freezer burn as I understand it's from October-November 2018 hunting season. Agree that 130 °F (54.4) for an hour is fine for a medium thickness beef steak but probably need 3-4x the time or more for it to go full braise. Otherwise it might get ground up and mixed with beef to do hash/etc (so much comfort food!)

Bob -- I'm sure the rendered fat would be a nice touch, but not an option this time. We do have some rendered beef fat that will be put to the task, especially because it's essentially liquid smoke as well.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
@billshurv:
Thats a joke: 50% moose and 50% chicken ....
Have you ever seen the (possibly apocraphal) recipe for stuffed camel?

The problem with the boars is that they turn farmers’ fields upside-down and our favourite places where we gather mushroom looks like the artillery’s shooting range. They do a lot of damage.

They will plough a field in short order. Used correctly they are a farmers friend as they eat anything they find in there. Deployed where you don't want them...

Know what I had for dinner on Sunday?

Ostrich, from Austria! Really! :D

Just basic ground pepper, seared it all 'round, then turned down the heat for a while, let it rest after. Made good 'ol gravy using some of the meat juice and chantrelles we picked last summer. Roast potatoes.
It was very good and juicy, I'd place it somewhere between moose calf and turkey.

Had a moose steak once and it was pretty fair. However wild game has often a wild taste so preparation is vital. One way to take wilderness out of the beast is to let the meat swim in milk for many hours and/use wild berries like juniper or lingonberry and like to hide most of the wild taste.

Then you can take the juniper berries and place in vodka for moose-flavored Gin! (genever for those in NL) or how William of Orange subdued the English.

If you watched that Netflix show on Indian cooking they do one animal short of the camel. Apparently it's rare but it does happen.

One lump or two?

OK folks, my duck turned out pretty well, but while it's not the size of a moose there is a lot of it. I am roasting potatoes in duck fat as we speak, but I've got 3/4 of a duck in the fridge too. I don't mind just slicing it and eating it cold, but any good ideas to do something more interesting (but not too elaborate) to reheat the duck?

If you watched that Netflix show on Indian cooking they do one animal short of the camel. Apparently it's rare but it does happen.

Never saw that but there was at least one episode of one of Anthony Bourdain's shows where he was in the mid east and ate camel hump. It looked really fatty, which I know is prized in many cultures, but he didn't look too jazzed about it (and he would eat almost anything).

OK those look great, but will have to wait until at least tomorrow, since I am out of cilantro and tortillas. Do you think, for the meat, I could just marinate the cut-up, cooked duck meat and kind of sautee it? Simmer it in citrus/garlic/cilantro/etc marinade? I've got tons of dried chilis and whatnot from my pre-superbowl trip to Supermarche Sabor Latino ( SABOR LATINO ), and could go back to get tortillas etc (though it's a long subway ride).

mix anything mentioned in the past 30 or so posts with an equal weight of domestic pork, and grind sausage. throw in some veg and berries of your choice, along with salt and some kinda pepper. braise, and a few feedings later, you'll find you appreciate the variation, or yer ever-changing formulae. no probs. actual, local boar of any degree of "wild"-ness are just an acid-test for evaluating the half-life of yer average veganist impulses. this is a tasty thread, thx to everyone.

yes, there were a couple edits. apologies.

Last edited:
Don't throw a brick at me -- a wonderful little dessert Jello "Cheesecake" pudding made with evaporated milk. It tastes exactly like the Gerber baby-food dessert in glass jars , used to bulk up the small fry before they could walk.

No I'll toss in a cinder block. :) My doomsday prepping meal was caned mackerel (0.25$) and mac and cheese at 0.17$ a box made with powdered milk. On special occasions I would make a Kraft instant pistachio pudding with powdered milk.

EDIT - Washed down with a quart of Ripple or PBR of course while watching Lost in Space reruns. This is what no expectations means.

Last edited:
In the end I sauteed some leeks, shallots, celery, carrot and mushrooms, then added shredded duck meat (and skin!), deglazed the pan with a splash of red vermouth and some wine, made a I need of hash. The duck fat roasted potatoes were all that.

IMG_20200309_204652265.jpg
IMG_20200309_204736498.jpg

Last edited: