The food thread

They are great as long as you avoid chipping them, can happen easily since good ceramics have really high hardness. There can be some very limited flexibility but not much.
I prefer my Victorinox knives, easier to sharpen (I use 500 and 1000 grit diamond surface, and sharpening steel for just a quick refresh once in a while).

Last edited:
If they have not improved the slight chips build up and the edge becomes ordinary.

Stone sharpened Japanese steel is my favorite.

x2 -- although an inexpensive "European" chef knife as a complement for less delicate operations is really nice to have. My favorite knife is a $65 santoku.

Ordinary might be too kind. My mom has a couple ceramic paring knives and they're invariably dull. 45 minutes later on a diamond stone they're back to competent but not *SHARP*. Give me $5 Forschner paring knives for that kind of work -- the thin blade does wonders in terms of not wedging and takes a decent enough edge for what I do with it.

inexpensive "European" chef knife as a complement for less delicate operations is really nice to have. My favorite knife is a $65 santoku.

The higher quality Victorinox are pretty good, not a fan of the plastic stuff, has to be proper quality steel and with wood handle. We also have some Mac knives, looks a bit like this:
Professional Series Set 3 PCS (PRO-31)– MAC Knife

'******* swords!

Edit:
Cal, link ain't workin' for the less fortunate of us that live outside of your glorious region.
Hoping to go to Canada soon, been a while now.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
+1 on Chef's Choice electric sharpeners. I use their model "1520" link which has one wheel for 15 degree bevel ("Japanese knives") and another for 20 degrees ("German and American knives"). Run the $20 Victorinox chef's knife through that baby and it'll shave the hair off yer arm. Run the more expensive Shun through it and it'll shave the hair off a mosquito's leg.

The higher quality Victorinox are pretty good, not a fan of the plastic stuff, has to be proper quality steel and with wood handle.

When I started cooking for myself I got the 250 mm (10") Fibrox chef knife and a couple of the ~75mm paring knives. With some good honing, they are extremely competent and the blade material isn't so soft that it can't take a decent edge. This was all I had for a while and I was able to prep capably. Not as fine of an edge as my higher end knife, but my biggest gripe with the chef knife is the blade thickness (which is its advantage as well), as that restricts moving though stiffer foods cleanly. But it's very very tough as result, so I'm not worried about chipping the edge.

My santoku gets pulled out more, but given the option between just the santoku or just the chef knife, give me the latter. Far more versatile.

I also enjoy hand sharpening as it's a form of meditation for me. Nice, quiet, in the zone time.

We have a set of Wusthof Classic knives that we received for our wedding in 1995.
These babies are our trusty kitchen work-horses, forged from pretty heavy stainless, and hold an edge nicely. Part of it is that we keep them in a "knife block", so the edges are protected by the relatively soft wood when not in use, and they are not knicking-against other cutlery / metal implements.

For an occasional touch-up to the edge - I like to use a FINE diamond bench stone. A few quick swipes and the edge is good-to-go.

When they need a more intense overhaul of the edge - I picked up the Edge Pro Apex system. It uses Water Stones with a wide range of grits and a fixture to hold them at a constant angle to the blade. With a little practice, you can achieve a screaming-sharp, mirror-polished edge that holds-up for the purpose and just glides-through whatever you are cutting.

My "Big Dog" knife that I use for delicate / thin slicing on brisket and turkey breast / assorted big stuff is a 14-inch Victorinox Granton-Edge Slicer with the commercial Fibrox handle. It's probably in the same product family as the Victorinox knives that a few have mentioned earlier. (With the kind of stuff that our Moderator likes to cook - he probably already has or SHOULD have one of these babies.)

Another underrated American cutlery brand is Cutco. My Mom has a set from their wedding in about 1960. About 5 years ago - we sent them back to the factory for a sharpening (they also re-ground the serrated ones). All came back shaving-sharp.
[Not bad for a set that was more than 50 years old!]

Last edited:
Of course for real do it yourselfers, Vegas forge to get the Damascus stainless steel and Peter's heat treating of Meadville Pennsylvania to get a truly fantastic blade. Be sure to sharpen the blade before heat treatment as the touch up following shows just how much harder the edge is after treatment.

You will also understand why good knives cost so much!

I often give knives as gifts and some folks are curious as to why when they already own knives, at least until they use them and learn what a good knife is all about.

With the knives band-aid style first aid supplies are often useful for those who run a finger along an edge to test for sharpness.

I find properly using a "Steel" to keep the knives sharp is also quite important.

I have a 100+ year old veggie peeler. Keeps nice and sharp with regular use of the steel. The tip of the steel is used to level the blade edges and then the two edges are honed as a pair.

Last edited:
I never use a steel, viva l' difference. :)

Strop on cardboard or newspaper is my preferred method. Just enough grit to give a screaming edge. That said I bought some 1 um diamond grit for cheap and need to go about making a proper honing plate for it -- recommendations I've seen say to use as fine of grain wood as you can and let the diamond bed into the wood like a lap. This is diyaudio after all: fanaticism isn't just for making audio stuff. :) (actually, woodworking and cooking supersede audio for me, right now)

but my biggest gripe with the chef knife is the blade thickness (which is its advantage as well), as that restricts moving though stiffer foods cleanly. But it's very very tough as result, so I'm not worried about chipping the edge.

My santoku gets pulled out more, but given the option between just the santoku or just the chef knife, give me the latter. Far more versatile.
I think we're talking past each other. I have 5 very different decent quality Victorinox knives. (And none of them cost 20$. The ones I have are all north of 55$, mostly between 70-90$.) There's also many different shapes, I agree completely on using slim knives, but none of them are thicker than 2.5mm at the very thickest point, no meat cleavers here, or wait, I do have that as well actually.
And what we commonly call chef's knife here has the exact shape and thickness (or slimness?) of the Santoku. It is probably my favourite kitchen knife, but as you say, the other type is more versatile.
If I could only have one knife, period. And not only in the kitchen. It would be something like the Sami knife.
Helle Lappland– Helle Knives
Very good steel even if it's stainless, can be used for absolutely everything. It's a bit big, but not too much.

I also enjoy hand sharpening as it's a form of meditation for me. Nice, quiet, in the zone time.
+1, but that's mostly for my straight razor... and my battery powered chainsaw. (They never hear me "working")

Bought my razor here:
Straight Razors - Cut Throat Razor Shop | The Invisible Edge

Daniel, more like this, only throw in the Santoku and a breadknife:
https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-3-Piece-Chefs-Rosewood-Handles/dp/B000UVBW9W?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Not claiming it's like the absolute end in knives, but very good value for money. Great for "spousal abuse"... As in: she keeps ruining the edge. Not quite as bad as it used to be though.
Helle is a good brand, I also like Øyo, not that expensive but really good stuff. I prefer decent quality carbon steel knives, much better to hone and keep sharp, but stainless is much easier to keep... stainless.