The food thread

After cooking. I tried scoring the skin instead of poking it. Same result, both ways are good. Cooking was 400ºF on the top rack for 15 minutes then 350 on the middle rack for 15 minutes, as the sugars were beginning to blacken. Turned out to be the right amount of char. This is at the resting stage 10 minutes. The wire rack actually goes directly into the oven.

Attachments

• IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 77
Those Medlars sound interesting - NOT something that we have in this part of the world.
My Grandparents / Parents used to do A LOT of canning / pickling and jams / jellies.
The home-made stuff is STILL (usually?) THE BEST!

My Mother's Mother used to make Elderberry Jam with wild-picked Elderberries.:trapper:
She did not like to add pectin as a thickener and hers almost always was a bit thin / syrupy.
But, is was "Da Bomb" on Pancakes:lickface:

Elderberry jelly is my favourite jam/jelly!
I like it on scones with clotted cream.

Difficult to get it to set even with copious amounts of pectin.

PS: I do not like elderflower jelly, very different taste!

When one picks the fruit - it is usually chock-full of BUGS, so pick-through carefully before processing or enjoy a little free protein :yuck:
My fave was her Red Currant - which was a bit tart, and good for a glaze with Pork and was MY "J" of choice for PB&J when we had some on-hand

RE: FLOWER Flabors:
What about Jasmine Tea? (I like it in Winter to help relax)
or St. Germain liquer?

Nice! (And no wise-cracks about Monty Python either...)

Last edited:
I could not find any culture that does this, but there is a very special recipe from Fez in Paula Wolfert's book. Seven spices, seven vegetables, seven year old smen (fermented butter) and two lamb's heads. Comments include, "the eyes are plucked out and given to the guest of honor". I could scan a copy for you. The smen available on line is probably not 7 yr. old, you would have to make your own.

Cheese can usually be substituted for smen. Although I can get goats milk butter and smoke it with herbs, the aging is a bit beyond what I am willing to do.

home fermented things, I'm always afraid to use them.

I am anything but an expert but I think the idea is to ensure the process starts quickly enough before the bad boys show up. As I understand it, once the fortress is armed, there's no breaking down the barrier walls. I've not had a problem and as you know we do a lot of fermenting.

I use starter liquid like the water on top of yogurt, small amount of brown sugar, some citric acid crystal and of course a half-pail of non-iodized salt. The fermenting begins rather quickly and in the meantime the other agents are there as defence. They also say that your nose is the best judge. If it smells like it's fermented, every chance is that it's fine. If it smells a bit off, have someone else smell it. If they agree, into the compost it goes.

I also hear that molds on top of a fermenting vessel are not bad unless you see black or pink. If so, it's gone off and you should dispose of. OTOH some recipes tell you to skim the blue or green molds off every couple days.

I've experiment with your common penicillin type molds but unfortunately, I receive little to no benefit from the taste and well, you can't exactly give food looking like that to your guests.

The smen starts out as ghee for melting/frying, cheese would not be a good substitute here. I have no luck with home fermented things, I'm always afraid to use them. We had a young Korean engineer that buried his own kimchee in his apartments parking lot.

Yes it starts out ghee, but cheese isn't a bad cheat. If you want to thin cheese you can add a bit of oil.

I receive little to no benefit from the taste and well, you can't exactly give food looking like that to your guests.

I worry about harming guests, 40 yr. ago I bought a carp in Chinatown to make steamed fish Cantonese style and there was some strange looking stuff on one side. Everyone who ate the fish including me got very sick, I mean near liver shutdown sick, I can't help but err on the safe side ever since.

Pls, don't throw a brick at me, but I just watched several episodes of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" on a flight back to the US -- I think we have need of a smoker!

Watch it all the time, nothing like a triple cheese burger with cole slaw and fries. I love the honesty of the restaurants pouring in the stock powder and other crap ingredients. About 1 in 10 places actually care about making real food.

No offence intended, but if this is a winning combination I'll pass.

V8

I'm off the hard stuff right now but I do enjoy V8 (preferably the low sodium variety) with Russian Standard vodka, pepper, lemon, wooster(tm), and tabasco or sriracha, on a cold winter evening.

I used to go regularly to a little Korean place in a food court under my old job, and one day I noticed they had a can of V8 in their beverage cooler, and I felt like a veggie hit so ordered it. Every time I went back there for the next couple of years, the lovely ladies who work there would get my food and say "...and V8, yes?" so solicitously I couldn't say no. They seemed so happy to have my "favorite", I never saw anyone else buy it and I felt like they had it just for me.

@Max Just read a long article on the blockchain tracing of food distribution. Not a single mention of any kind of impartial third party verification. So I say why bother, I can envision scanning a tag and seeing some stock footage of grizzled old salts pulling red snapper out of the drink and still having tilapia in the bag.
No real interest here until a third party DNA test is part of the chain. This would especially be useful with the new GMO Canadian stuff.
Sure.
The honey industry pilot project specifies IBC batch testing and certification of a bunch of parameters including pollen types identification and region identification in addition to Manuka Factor, ph etc by independent accredited testing labs whose credentials will also be incorporated into the supply chain ledger effectively attached to each package.

As I understand it the likes of DNA testing and certification will be incorporated for other food types, certainly higher valued food items.
As far as linked manufacturer provided information is concerned the extent and scope is up to the manufacturer exactly as it is now, the difference is that the manufacturer claims will be verifiable and trustworthy down to each individual package.
This is still early days but progress is speeding up fast, I do believe this is the way of the future, indeed near future.