The food thread

I should be clear she was actually from Austria but there is a lot of crossover in the food. My father's favorite was Zwetschgenknödel which varies from region to region. Some recipes use quark (farmers cheese) and some use potato, she used both at different times. She grew up 60 mi from Italy so we also had polenta frequently.

I do like some Zwetschgenknödel* or apricot ones with plenty of melted butter, zimt&zucker! :)

The usual way I had polenta as a child was as a sweet dessert.
Made with milk and an egg then let it cool down at set.
Cut into slices, fried in butter and served with preserved Zwetschgen.

Takes me back...

That area of Austria has a lot of influences. Southern German, Swiss and the creamy, buttery bit of Italian food. All good...

*halb und halb ie half boiled potatoes, half raw (before cooking the dumplings of course)

Last edited:
when she uses some cooking she usually lingers over the open jar breathing in the aroma.

That is why I now buy the seed rather than the ground. For the same reason you buy black pepper corns. The aroma is half of it and the other being you need about half as much.
Not liking Jeera? What's wrong with these women? hehe
It must be a gender thing. Never met a meat eating man that didn't like Chili cone carne.

Last edited:
Had to scrounge dinner the other night and this time the outcome surprised me. There was part of a can of tuna in the fridge and we found a never opened package of translucent rice spring roll wrappers so I thought I might make some impromptu spring rolls.

Took the tuna (would love to try this with lobster) added some finely chopped celery, I like to fold the ends of the celery stalks back on themselves and remove the stringy parts, Italian parsley, some julienne of pickled daikon, and very ripe cherry tomatoes sliced in half or quarter depending on size. Bound up in just enough mayo, no measurements just what feels right. If you insist on hot a little of that can be included.

I made a bed of arugula and shiso leaves on top of the reconstituted wrappers and added the tuna salad. For some reason it seemed a perfect balance of everything.

scallops and popcorn with a bit of grated black truffle --

Why can't the truffle have a bit of hair on it? :)

The hairy parts are the best.

Wow, my eyes are not working right. I read your post as saying "shaved black truffle", hence my little joke. But you wrote "grated" not "shaved", which ruins my joke! Ever since my cataract surgery in one eye I can't just remove my glasses and read stuff like I used to. My apologies for completely misreading your post.

Wow, my eyes are not working right. I read your post as saying "shaved black truffle", hence my little joke. But you wrote "grated" not "shaved", which ruins my joke! Ever since my cataract surgery in one eye I can't just remove my glasses and read stuff like I used to. My apologies for completely misreading your post.

It was "back to the club" night -- the shaved truffle was placed on top of the scallop and the grated truffle was on top of the popcorn.

One of the best things I have ever et...the popcorn that is. Growing up in midwest US we only had frozen scallops!

Pickled beets today. 10lbs bag was $3.50 and those are locals. Two types, his and hers. For peeling purposes always use your InstaPot just like for eggs. They almost peel themselves.

She: Cook in water first then brine for a few days.
He: Cooks them in the brine so we can have them tonight.

Pretty standard recipe:
Coarse salt
White sugar
White vinegar for him, apple cider vinegar for her
Water
Chili flakes for him

Pickled beets today.

Speaking of which, the "British Gardening Show" which we view courtesy of Amazon Prime suggested starting a crop of beans and beets -- if you plant them in late August -- well the beans are going strong, but few of the beets have germinated.

I really like pickled beets, onions, etc.

Had the one decent tomato from the garden in a sandwich today. It had the consistency of a golf ball, but quite tasty.

I'll try beet greens next as it is a bit late now. :)

That said leave greens do well in our garden, we have a fair bit of kale, chard and collard greens.
The collard greens do especially well. They are perennial here and at the moment well over a meter tall. Almost impossible to kill them except with caterpillars or slugs.
If they wouldn't be edible they'd be an annoying weed!

The soil is too heavy still for potatoes. It'll probably take a few more years for them to flourish.

We have some kale flourishing in our garden, apparently not even slugs want to eat it. I should have chopped some up and put in the curry I made tonight.

Our small tomatoes have been good this tear, but the big ones are just ripening now. Had a tomato sandwich yesterday that was delicious. We grew about 3 or 4 varieties of small "cherry" tomatoes. One bunch were very small and round and like candy. Others were oval and a bit bigger, meatier, great flavour. Another heirloom variety were small and pear shaped, very meaty texture, good flavor and a strong "piney" aroma. All of them were later than usual presumably due to the cold wet spring (and June). I got a handful of peppers this year, the best were from plants that I started last summer and kept in pots indoors all winter, they finally gave me few jalapenos and poblanos this month. All my New Mexicos are still green.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
All the recent talk of beets made me try roasing them yesterday. I had 4 my father had pulled out from his garden and roasted them to have with lunch today. I am a total convert, as is the wife who bought some more from the supermarket. She was a little shocked with the effect on her digestive system...

I think I had the best burger I have ever made today.

I ground some chuck I got on sale.

To just over a pound of it I added one egg, a pack of Lipton's Onion Soup mix (minus half the powder), a half cup of bread crumbs, a third cup of Soy Protein Concentrate, and a third cup of water.

After forming the patties, I put them back in the refrigerator for two hours before grilling them.

When grilled, there was absolutely no flair up to burn the burgers. They came out with a nice sear and were med-well done (which makes everyone happy here for burgers).

Delicious flavor and great texture.

In one small respect, I regret that my son moved to Cali -- he was the fella who would grind chuck and sirloin for a great burger. (Now married w 2 small fry so we can't burden him with such mundane duties. Visiting the grands out there is its own reward, and before too long I will instruct them on how to mix the perfect Manhattan cocktail.)

Beet greens are very good
I grew up not knowing the greens were are part of the beets. They were served separate.
he was the fella who would grind chuck and sirloin for a great burger.
Leave the sirloin for the others as steak and enjoy the chuck as the finest grinding meat. :)