The food thread

You want to see my other half after eating a slice of japalica pepper.
It was funny.
After cheekily pinching what looked like a slice of gherkin off my plate we had a grimace and a tongue hanging out like a whippet that had been chasing rabbits all day.
I had entertainment while eating the rest of my cold snack.

Funnily enough my wife puts Jeera in most recipes. It's one of the 7 in the spice tin that always gets used. Hing, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, cloves and cinnamon. Cooking is more fun since I met her.

If you do Netflix you could explain this to me, Raja Rasoi Aur Anya Kahaniyaan, it is a very interesting mix. The interviews are all subtitled but many English words and whole phrases are thrown in seemingly at random. And yes, the entire spice bin goes into many dishes.

Hinglish is very popular these days. When my wife and sister are talking to each other in Hindi I can still tell what they are talking about from the odd English words thrown in.

The other thing was that some of the folks interviewed still used old titles of royalty and clearly lived very affluently. I sort of thought that was un-PC, but clearly I have no idea. I'll never forget my run it (1977) with a classic Monty Python British twit.

Interesting my grandmother was caraway and juniper berries only, my problem is finding pig's knuckles that are not smoked. One of my favorite lunches, SCHWEINKNOCHEL MIT SAUERKRAUT

Where's your grandmother from?

I know that as Eisbein in Berlin or Schweinshax'n in Bavaria always with Sauerkraut as the leg is usually brined and quite salty so the 'kraut balances that a bit.
Not a quick lunch though as both the pork knuckles and the sauerkraut need a fair bit of cooking time.
Juniper berries are good with Sauerkraut along with a glass of white wine, bay leaf, cloves and onion.
Also good with stewed venison and Sauerbraten.

There are Japones peppers, which also go by other names. The irony is that is Spanish speaking people presumably from the Americas referring to a chili pepper as "Japanese". Chili peppers are (or were) only native to the Americas, and Spaniards were the first Europeans to see or taste them. The could only have got to Japan much later via Europeans.

Funnily enough my wife puts Jeera in most recipes. It's one of the 7 in the spice tin that always gets used. Hing, cumin, ground coriander, turmeric, chilli powder, cloves and cinnamon. Cooking is more fun since I met her.

Hing (asafoetida) is weird but unique and reminds me of south India like nothing else.

A couple of others I use a lot:
fenugreek -- my personal fave, and the greens are very nice as well and super easy to grow
cardamom -- adds a touch of class, good in coffee, great with lamb

Not a spice as such, but lately I've been using a lot (by which I mean a little) of harissa. Ground red pepper paste from the middle East or North Africa, very nice brushed on meat before grilling. Amazon.com : Harissa by Du Cap Bon (5 ounce) : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Where's your grandmother from?

I should be clear she was actually from Austria but there is a lot of crossover in the food. My father's favorite was Zwetschgenknödel which varies from region to region. Some recipes use quark (farmers cheese) and some use potato, she used both at different times. She grew up 60 mi from Italy so we also had polenta frequently.