The food thread

pasteurized honey,

You're simply shopping in the wrong places. I left Quora partially after too many "food fights" with folks on the other side of the Atlantic. There is bad/industrial food everywhere I go.

Attachments

• honey.png
    honey.png
    332.2 KB · Views: 103
Like the hospital scene in the closing sequences of "Gone With the Wind".

Getting back to food -- this really was excellent -- cauliflower and potato curry.

1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 1/2 cups of fingerling or other small potatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch of ginger finely chopped
1 cup diced tomato
1 jalapeno pepper, cut in half lengthwise and removed of seeds
Turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala to taste.
Cilantro to garnish

Potato and cauliflower are steamed until just about tender.

Onion is sweated in 10W40, add garlic and ginger, then tomatoes. When the oil/solvent runs add the spices, then the potato and cauliflower with some of the stock. Cook slightly covered for 20 minutes. Garnish w cilantro.

aka "aloo gobi". If you get a DVD of "Bend It Like Beckham" there is a nice "extra". In the movie there is a scene where the protagonist says to her mother "Anybody can make aloo gobi, but nobody can bend it like Beckham!" So the writer/director meets up with her real life mother and aunt, with cameras rolling, in the kitchen of a London Indian restaurant, and makes them aloo gobi. Her secret is to take the roots and stems of the fresh cilsntro and fry that with the onions (though I think she used 5W20), also ginger but no garlic. I have made it her way many times, it's very good.

Cilantro root as well as the K-lime leaves are used in Thai cooking but are hard to find in many places.

Yes, sometimes around here we get hydroponic cilantro with roots attached. Last time I made some Thai food though the only cilantro I could get was cut, no roots. I tried pounding some stems but not the same. Also could only get dried Kaffir lime leaves, but soaking them worked Ok.

Multi-weight oil has chemical additives to change the property of oil thinning at higher temperature. Not really stuff you want in food. So stick to single weight oil for your cooking! Preferably one you can digest safely.

Now in the past mineral oil was used as a laxative. Seems it really could lubricate folks.

Multi-weight oil has chemical additives to change the property of oil thinning at higher temperature. Not really stuff you want in food. So stick to single weight oil for your cooking! Preferably one you can digest safely.

Now in the past mineral oil was used as a laxative. Seems it really could lubricate folks.

It was meant in jest!

I use clarified butter and canola (rapeseed) together. Btw, Land-o-Lakes Cooperative sell Euro fat content butter and Kerry Gold is available at Costco.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Maybe it's been discussed here already but you can't mention little known health issues too often IMHO. Do people on here use sunflower oil for frying? We have a tv prog called 'Trust Me, I'm a Doctor'. One episode looked at the production of carcinogenic compounds when heating various cooking oils.
Quote - We found that the oils which were rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids, like corn oil and sunflower oil, generated very high levels of oxidative products known as aldehydes. By contrast, the fats and oils which were rich in saturated fatty acids or monounsaturated fatty acids (like butter or olive oil) produced far fewer aldehydes and other potentially dangerous products.
BBC Two - Trust Me, I'm a Doctor, Series 3, Episode 3 - Which oils are best to cook with?

...Martin identified two new, and potentially dangerous, aldehydes that they had not previously seen in the other oil-heating experiments. These new compounds may have been generated when the oils and fats interact with various foodstuffs.

Last edited:
You're simply shopping in the wrong places. I left Quora partially after too many "food fights" with folks on the other side of the Atlantic. There is bad/industrial food everywhere I go.
In Sweden, you aren’t permitted to call heated honey ’Honey’. The heating process ruins a lot of the various ingredients and sugars, making honey nothing else but syrup.
I was simply surprised to find that it was OK over here.

BTW celebrating our 24th aniversary, yesterday, we had a tasty sirloin steak with oven baked small potatoesand (too much) Cocobon wine.

In Sweden, you aren’t permitted to call heated honey ’Honey’. The heating process ruins a lot of the various ingredients and sugars, making honey nothing else but syrup.
I was simply surprised to find that it was OK over here.

It's possibly done to prevent infant botulism, but raw honey even packages of cut up honeycombs are readily available many places here.

What's the difference ?

EU is 82%, US 80% butter fat. When I was young and stupid I would beat cold butter on a stone with a rolling pin to remove the excess water (an old pastry makers trick). Plugras sold here is 82% (they claim 83% is too much). I really only care for unsalted cultured butter for serious use.

Apparently the all powerful farm lobby has made Kerrygold (label says 86% fat) illegal in Wisconsin, have to drive to Il. just like we used to to get colored margarine.

Last edited:
just like we used to to get colored margarine.

Kerrygold doesn't have an unsalted version, but it is soooohhh good on a baked potato.

wanna know why "Butter Flavor Crisco" is yellow? (1)

my mother recalled that margarine was sold with a tiny vial of yellow coloring in the late 1940's/

(1) my daughter-in-law is aghast that i bake cookies with her daughters substituting crisco for 10W40, or whatever other non-polar solvent is in vogue at the moment.

Last edited: