The food thread

Since my sister married an Italian guy and moved to Certaldo, she adopted the local mindset: "anything not produced by someone you know is definitely suspect. Anything you buy in a supermarket is doubly suspect." ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. :) I'm always surprised just how good the basic ingredients are when on my visits. I shouldn't be but the difference is so big. I'm sure half of it is expectation bias, but I'm not complaining.

We manage to gather all the American family for dinner at 6 PM. We usually cook and TRY to use as natural productscas possible, but I loose my mind when entering a food mart - where the •••• can I find natural food? Sweetened or flavoured milk, ”smoked” ham that may have been handled by a Marlboro guy, pasteurized honey, flavoured ”natural” butter .... And everything is low fat/high carb (sugar).:eek:
I want to be back in Sweden and detox my body from industrial ”food”.:crying:

We manage to gather all the American family for dinner at 6 PM. We usually cook and TRY to use as natural productscas possible, but I loose my mind when entering a food mart - where the •••• can I find natural food? Sweetened or flavoured milk, ”smoked” ham that may have been handled by a Marlboro guy, pasteurized honey, flavoured ”natural” butter .... And everything is low fat/high carb (sugar).:eek:
I want to be back in Sweden and detox my body from industrial ”food”.:crying:

We = grandparents

But there's not too many olive trees in Tuscany. ;) Almost all of it is grown down south and shipped up to be pressed, or at least bottled. Doesn't make fresh olive oil any less amazing though!

My mom is Sicilian, so I have at least 1% olive oil flowing through my veins. :D

Quite a lot of olives are imported since the Italians alone consume more than they grow.

If the label doesn't say 'native' some or all of the olives used are imported.

by now i am guessing you have noted an absence of cal food. on dec 18 i dislocated my shoulder ans have not been very active in the kitchen. i am doing everything left handed but am expecting for this to change in the next couple of weeks. in the meantime i am enjoying this thread as i always do and hope to contribuye soon.

yes, i enjoyed that clip. i couldn't possibly dig into fat like that but maybe if i were a woodsman, i might quite enjoy it. when you look at his hands, i am guessing he has a strong immunity system judging by the cuts and dirt build up. i woder if the sound was dubbed in or if the crunch was real? either way, my mouth was watering.

Cal -- I crushed my heel and busted my face falling off a ladder in 2002 (taking the Christmas lights off the house). My Doc weaned me from painkillers by talking to my wife:
"He's Irish and they get addicted to everything, a couple days of percoset and then he's on Tylenol".

He made no such restrictions with respect to ethanol, the water of life!

I channel Wilburforce and shun all pain killers (they do nothing for me anyway) and have done root canals with no anesthesia at all. I have never filled a pain med prescription ever for any procedure.

Like the hospital scene in the closing sequences of "Gone With the Wind".

Getting back to food -- this really was excellent -- cauliflower and potato curry.

1/2 head of cauliflower cut into florets
1 1/2 cups of fingerling or other small potatoes
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 inch of ginger finely chopped
1 cup diced tomato
1 jalapeno pepper, cut in half lengthwise and removed of seeds
Turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala to taste.
Cilantro to garnish

Potato and cauliflower are steamed until just about tender.

Onion is sweated in 10W40, add garlic and ginger, then tomatoes. When the oil/solvent runs add the spices, then the potato and cauliflower with some of the stock. Cook slightly covered for 20 minutes. Garnish w cilantro.