The food thread

Rustic pear tart tatin. Pears caramelized with butter, sugar, cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, and star anise, and a bit of Madeira, mounded on pie dough and baked.

1542677184694359.jpg

For those preparing Thanksgiving Dinner dessert -- i.e. pumpkin pie -- consider substituting powdered coriander for cloves as one of the spices. Just magical and "soave".

My secret ingredient is to use a tablespoon of honey instead of some of the sugar. Just enough that it "tilts" the flavor without anyone able to identify that it is present.

Works in many recipes to make it "Heritage."

And/or maple syrup, depending on one's predilections.

I'm not usually one to do pumpkin pie, but lean heavily on my squash soup/roasts. I'd be thinking to add a *tiny* bit of ancho pasilla or the like. Extremely mild flavor and on the sweet side but does tend to pop everything else in the dish.

I once used crushed amaretti cookies (the ones made with real bitter almonds, apricot pits) and it was pretty special.

My sister in law uses amaretti cookies in her tiramisu. We had no such thing in the troglodytic midWest. never had eggplant until I got to the Bronx. I thought clams were only served breaded and deep fried on a hot-dog bun with mayo.

aaaahhhh, but those treats of eastern Europe brought 4000 miles west.

we will celebrate the national holiday with the appropriate stuffed bird, beaucoup of over-cooked veggies, aforementioned pumpkin pie, apple strudel (mit schlag) and poppyseed kuchen.

I love a bit of maple syrup in squash or pumpkin. (Pro tip: in your next BBQ dry rub use maple sugar instead of brown sugar You are welcome.) The coriander thing sounds interesting.

SWMBO and I enjoyed the caramelized pear thing last night, but also thought the addition of some nuts (walnut, pecan?) and maybe currants would make it even better. It was a bit too sweet, so need to make it again to adjust the sugar vs fruit ratio.

we will celebrate the national holiday with the appropriate stuffed bird, beaucoup of over-cooked veggies, aforementioned pumpkin pie, apple strudel (mit schlag) and poppyseed kuchen.

Oooh, I like a bit of strudel!

Ever tried a savoury one?

But talking apple I've made some kind of apple tart on the weekend.
A basic, slightly sweet yeast dough, apples from the garden, cinnamon and finished of with some homemade damson jam.
Didn't last long...

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Let me warn you that the KitchenAid meat grinder attachment has a dozen clever hiding places which hold meat scraps invisibly. This will stink up your storage cabinet unbearably, if you don't disassemble it ALL THE WAY and scrub each piece thoroughly with hot water and lots of soap. Especially the 4 cornered "windmill" which always manages to collect ten concentric windings of gristle and tendon. Take it ALL THE WAY apart and scrub like the dickens.

Growing up it was a Kitchenaid mixer and Chambers range. But a real cast iron "Meat Chopper." Father did know best. Mother got rid of it all after the kids left home. She preferred an electric range and small electric hand/stand mixer. I got the chopper. Still use it for potato pancakes and pate.

I think I told the story of great grandfather did so well he brought over Katherine the cook. So grandmother and mother never really learned to cook. Folks with me on my first first visit to a good NYC French restaurant were surprised I considerd it "Home Cooking."

Let me warn you that the KitchenAid meat grinder attachment has a dozen clever hiding places which hold meat scraps invisibly.

The KitchenAid "mill" also hides organic matter -- if you're grinding grains, nuts, seeds (a la the aforementioned poppyseeds) -- you should use the compressor to blow it out. The KitchenAid grainmill and the pasta roller accessories can't be cleaned with water.